Anyone used a poster tube for kite airline travel?

Talk about kite accessories. Bags, Spars, etc.
swannie

Anyone used a poster tube for kite airline travel?

Postby swannie » Tue, Oct 22 2013, 10:18 PM

Hey gang,

I'm heading down to Florida on Sunday for a really stupid cut-over that I really don't need to be there for and I'm anticipating having a fair amount of free time because it's stupid that they even want me there, so I'm thinking I might have some flying time. I don't want to bring "the whole production" down, I'm really just thinking of a sail or two, and a variety of frames. Has anyone used a poster tube (something like this) for such a purpose? Any problems?

Swannie

TMadz

Re: Anyone used a poster tube for kite airline travel?

Postby TMadz » Tue, Oct 22 2013, 10:25 PM

telescoping. Cool! does it violate any airline rules for being too long if it's extended?
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

swannie

Postby swannie » Tue, Oct 22 2013, 11:04 PM

TMadz wrote:telescoping. Cool! does it violate any airline rules for being too long if it's extended?

Good question ... I think this is one of those "look the other way" items. I've seen people carry them on, and I think it'll fit in the overhead in the wasted space above or in front of bags and what not. The folded size of a 1.5 is 34"-ish, which is about blue-print size. So, not obnoxiously large.

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Oct 23 2013, 02:39 AM

I don't use protection when I travel :)
I stick a vented and a standard sail in one sleeve. One framed with 2-wraps, the other with 3-wraps. Handles, 75' and 120' lines in the outside sleeve pocket. For a stake in sand I've been using an aluminum straw I picked up at a truck stop (no pointy bits to bother tsa).
I either throw it in the overhead or even keep it next to me when I have a window seat.

swannie

Postby swannie » Wed, Oct 23 2013, 09:10 AM

Mike wrote:I don't use protection when I travel :)
I stick a vented and a standard sail in one sleeve. One framed with 2-wraps, the other with 3-wraps. Handles, 75' and 120' lines in the outside sleeve pocket. For a stake in sand I've been using an aluminum straw I picked up at a truck stop (no pointy bits to bother tsa).
I either throw it in the overhead or even keep it next to me when I have a window seat.

Do you know if the kites ended up counting as one of your carry-ons? Based on personal observations during the last decade of airline travel it seems like poster/blueprint/document tubes don't count as a carry-on. While I'm sure they do officially, it doesn't seem to be enforced. Using just a sleeve would be even easier, I'd be willing to bet that it would all fit very nicely in the wasted space in the back/bottom of the overhead bin that's caused by the curvature of the airplane....

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Oct 23 2013, 11:58 AM

It hasn't counted as a carry-on.
I usually walk on with kites, carry-on suitcase and an iPad. Sometimes I add a small backpack to the mix.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Wed, Oct 23 2013, 12:45 PM

Check the carry on rules for the airline you're using ... check before each flight 'cuz the damn rules are always changing. I think changing the rules works to the airlines detriment. The check-in folks don't know nor care what you're bring on the plane. TSA doesn't care what baggage you're bring on board ... just what's in it. The only person who really cares is the guy/gal trying to get everyone on the plane so they can depart on time. That individual probably hasn't kept up with the fine print in the latest rules, so their only concern is "can you get on board without screwing up the process."

American Airlines allows one carry on ... 45 inches of height + width + length. They also allow one personal item ... 31 inches of H+W+L. They recently changed the rules for a personal item to require it to fit under the seat in front of you. I haven't seen that ruling enforced yet. Plus, you're allowed an additional third item ... see list below:

Additional items that will be allowed above and beyond the restrictions listed above (carry on and personal item) include:

Outerwear such as coats/wraps/hats
Book or newspaper
Small bag of food to eat on the flight - see guidelines for liquids
Approved safety seat for lap or ticketed child
Pillow or blanket
Umbrella stroller for lap or ticketed child
Diaper bag for lap or ticketed child
Assistive devices for passengers such as wheelchairs, walkers, portable oxygen concentrators, and CPAP machines, etc.

For a carry on, I either use a normal carry on bag or a compression bag that contains a number of foil kites, tails, lines, tie down straps, sand anchors, carabiners, etc.. One warning with the compression bag ... TSA will sometimes do an inspection at the boarding gate ... yep, the only piece of carry-on baggage that I have had inspected was my compression bag when exiting Mexico.

As a personal item, I have an inexpensive fly rod case that is utilized for the rods ... the center rod from a Rev was the determining length. The frames are removed from the Revs with the rods going in the fly rod case and the sails going in my carry-on bag or checked luggage. The only question I've ever had about the fly rod case was "where are you going fishing?"

I also bring a couple of books as per the list above.

I think that if you're reasonably close to the limits the airline simply wants you on board rather than hassle you about being a few inches too big. Some folks will tell you they use the Rev roll up bag as their carry on ... I'm not that brave ... yet.

Cheers,
Tom

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Oct 23 2013, 03:17 PM

Jeepster has the full details, and YMMV, but I've never had a problem (except once on SW).

I've carried on kites in a variety of bags, including:
- ITW kite bag (I think 42 inches) + a backback + rollaboard (which I probably checked).
- 3 revs in one (Rev 1) sleeve, handles & lines in my rollaboard, + backpack
- 2 or 3 individual sleeves with an extra frame, rollaboard, backpack
- 3 revs in a poster tube (like yours, but bigger diameter), rollaboard, backpack - I did get asked what was in the tube on this one.
- Sails & travel frame in the rollaboard, + backpack.
- Kites in the rollaboard, rods in a cheap mailing tube (notched a hole in the top for the Rev 1 spar), +backpack.

All of this travel was on major airlines (mostly AA and SWA) - no super discount ones like Spirit or Allegiant. I'll bet their rules are different - and you'll end up paying an oversize fee.

The only time I had a problem was once when SWA made me check the ITW kite bag (because I had a 3rd garment bag suitcase full of kites bought at an auction). That's when I realized that the kite bag was the most valuable thing I'd ever checked - far more than the laptop, or anything else - if I had to replace everything in it.

Never have tried to bring a stake. If you're at the beach, stick the handles in the sand. If at a park, clip them to a carabiner on your backpack if you feel the need for a "stake."

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Wed, Oct 23 2013, 04:58 PM

I just put 2 or 3 kites in a sleeve, and put in in the overhead. Never had an issue.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Oct 23 2013, 05:17 PM

Jeepster wrote:...The only person who really cares is the guy/gal trying to get everyone on the plane so they can depart on time. ...

That person and the person doing the gate checked luggage at the end of the ramp on small planes.

But even on the small Embraer planes (seats are 2 + 1, only small overheads and only on one side of the plane) I've brought my over the shoulder carry-on luggage and my sleeve of kites.

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Wed, Oct 23 2013, 09:33 PM

We put six Revs in a baseball bat bag and put them in the overhead of four planes, two large and two small.
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

Shari

Postby Shari » Thu, Oct 24 2013, 08:05 AM

Originally we bought a plastic drafting tube. Put all the spars in there and folded the sails and stuffed them in the backpack. Mind you were were traveling for 2 and had to keep it as minimal as possible.
Since then we have switched to a simple kite bag that has a zipper down the front. Since that one is a bit bigger and we didn't want to take the chance of them saying no so we count it as one of our carry ons, either way no one has said a thing.
I also have a travel frame that I use when I am by myself. 3 wraps and 2 sails but you have one of those right....
I recommend bringing a sleeve so that you don't have to break it down completely after your are done flying for the day.
Everything seems so much better when the sky is filled with beautiful colors.

swannie

Postby swannie » Thu, Oct 24 2013, 06:44 PM

Wow, this turned in to a pretty good thread of kite travel advice. :) I wish I would have asked this when I was originally researching travel with kites earlier in the year.

I do have a travel frame, but my goal with this trip is to bring the Diamond frame along with the three wrap. My main concern with trying to bring a kite bag on board is length, i think it would get flagged as an odd sized carryon by the gate agent, particularly since many of them are duffle-bag-looking. Where as document tubes seem to be common enough that the crew know what the are and won't ask too many questions (vs. a kite in a sleeve)...

Now I just need an impromptu kite stake. :)

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Oct 24 2013, 06:52 PM

Where in Florida? If you are in the Tampa area, you should look up kiting Tampa bay. They frequently fly revs.

(oops - edited - autocomplete on the phone was not working too well)
Last edited by goestoeleven on Thu, Oct 24 2013, 08:56 PM, edited 1 time in total.

swannie

Postby swannie » Thu, Oct 24 2013, 07:14 PM

Ft. Lauderdale ...

Jim Ski

Postby Jim Ski » Thu, Oct 24 2013, 09:26 PM

I think that's why I enjoy the road trip. Less hassle. Just grab the case and head on out. Find a good breeze on the way for a perfect rest stop.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Thu, Oct 24 2013, 10:03 PM

Now I just need an impromptu kite stake. :)[/quote]

3/8" oak dowel with one end pointed the other rounded should be rather benign.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Fri, Oct 25 2013, 12:14 AM

swannie wrote:... Now I just need an impromptu kite stake. :)

Get Mikey to model one of his electronic cigarettes ... that would work as a stake.

Stop at Big Lots and buy a 99 cent screwdriver. Stop at one of the big box lumber yards and buy a landscaping nail. Or a sporting goods store for a stake. Throw them away when you're ready to return home.

In fact, Mikey could make a tube threaded internally on one end and externally on the other. Then an externally threaded point and an internally threaded ball. Disassemble for transportation and assemble when you land. Powder coated to match your handles of course.

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Oct 25 2013, 09:28 AM

swannie wrote:... My main concern with trying to bring a kite bag on board is length, i think it would get flagged as an odd sized carryon by the gate agent, particularly since many of them are duffle-bag-looking.

FWIW, five years ago, I traveled with a fellow Rev flier who brought a regular roll-up rev bag filled with kites while traveling from here to Japan and back. He was able to put it in the overhead all the way. On one of the intra-Japan flights, they did question him about bringing it on board, but we didn't understand the language, so they gave up and we brought it on :)

I'm not sure I would try that though.

I've never had a problem with just a sleeve with a couple kites in it, and I've done that a bunch.

illescasd

Postby illescasd » Fri, Oct 25 2013, 01:13 PM

Last fall I travelled to Argentina with a pair of Rev's bundled up in their sleeves. Other than security questions, I had no issues with them as carry ons. I flew all the way on American.
David
"Don't bend the spoon, bend the space around it,,,"

Return to “Accessories”