Quad line sets

It's not just string any more. Talk about lines and line sets and anything else associated with them.

What length quad lines do you keep with you at all times?

I attach the kite directly to the handles!
No votes
30'
9%
40'
12%
50'
5%
75'
19%
85'
12%
90'
5%
100'
5%
120' ... is there anything else?
33%
Longer then 120' ... I'm a SLK flier trapped in a QLK body!
2%

Total votes: 43

swannie

Quad line sets

Postby swannie » Sat, Oct 12 2013, 08:54 AM

Hey gang,

While flying with Xay the yesterday we were discussing shoter line sets (shorter then 120's). I have 3 quad line sets currently, my LPG 120's, then a 85' and 40'-ish. The last two are Shanti lines, and I'd like to replace those with LPG lines so that I can be compatible with other rev fliers.

My question is, besides 120', what length lines does everyone typically fly on? Xay loves his 50' lines, and I like the 85' ones that I have. If I were to buy two more line sets what lengths does everyone else keep in their bags?

And hey, why not do a poll! :)

Swannie
Last edited by swannie on Sat, Oct 12 2013, 11:37 AM, edited 1 time in total.

goestoeleven

Re: Quad line sets

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Oct 12 2013, 10:59 AM

I voted. Question- can you edit the lengths? I don't have 70 or 80, but I have 75 and 85.

Shari

Postby Shari » Sat, Oct 12 2013, 11:00 AM

Steve I was going to say close to the same thing. I marked 80 but I actually have 75s....These 3 are a must 40, 75 or 80 and 120s
Everything seems so much better when the sky is filled with beautiful colors.

swannie

Postby swannie » Sat, Oct 12 2013, 11:37 AM

Done. It's sort of odd to be able to edit the options after votes are cast. Hmm. :)

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Sat, Oct 12 2013, 12:21 PM

No tens, twenties, eights? No indoor? Even numbers? I always have 40', 80' and 120' lines.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Oct 12 2013, 02:27 PM

BTW, swannie, don't worry about shanti vs. LPG. I may be a heretic, but I don't think anybody will really care what brand you are flying when we fly as a group, unless you try to fly with kevlar lines (got some if you want them :-P ).

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sat, Oct 12 2013, 03:07 PM

goestoeleven wrote:... don't worry about shanti vs. LPG. ...

Not true.

Cant speak for the new stuff, but the older (4 yrs ago) Shanti line has an open weave without a coating and it will lock up when team lines cross at an angle. Dual line fliers love it 'cuz it's pure spectra with no coating. But, dual line fliers don't fly team with multiple wraps and angles involved.

LPG line, off the spool, has a coating that prevents the weave from opening when lines cross at an angle. That's why you see 99% of the better Rev lines made from LPG. Oh yes, that's also why old LPG line sets have a tendency to lock up if used in a team environment. The coating has worn off and some fibers become loose and can grab your team member's lines. No problem flying worn out lines by yourself, but even then you can't get the same number of wraps as with a new set of lines.

I found this out the hard (expensive) way by being talked into trying out a set of Shanti lines. Flying by myself they were great ... so, I ordered a spool of line and built some sets for my son. The first time we flew together it was a disaster. We still have those line sets, but won't use them for team flying. If I flew dual line kites I'd break them up for dual line sets.

Ask Big Mike what line he has available for building line sets ... then order a set of LPG lines from him ... you won't be sorry.

Cheers,
Tom

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sat, Oct 12 2013, 03:33 PM

swannie wrote:... besides 120', what length lines does everyone typically fly on? ...

I'll start the conversation on length with my thoughts ... others may have different opinions:

The 120 ft length is an almost universal length for team flying with several fliers and lots of room. After that, it starts to depend upon what the local clubs/groups have gravitated towards.

100 ft length ... The Fosters fly on lots of different beaches where space is a little limited. Plus, they fly pairs most of the time. Thus they have settled on 100 ft as their go to line sets. Jim won't fess up, but I think the line sets they had a Cabo were only 97 ft long. I kind of like this length for groups of four or less fliers, 'cuz the kites are a little quicker.

75/80 ft length ... IKE flew on 80 ft lines as their shorter line set of choice when the club started. But, club members kept going to Kite Party where Dave requested 75 ft line sets be flown on the weekend. Thus, as most 80 ft line sets from IKE members have worn out, they've been replaced by 75 ft line sets. I would suggest that IKE's official shorter line set is 75 ft, but there might be a few hold outs who would argue with that. BTW ... flying a slightly longer line set than the rest of the team does cause some problems with the turbulence coming off the kite right ahead of yours.

50 ft length and shorter ... Since you'll find limited team flying at these lengths, it's mostly personal preference. Plus, what's left over on the spool(s) after building the longer line sets. The 50 and 30 ft like sets are great for really light wind days. Although the more experienced fliers can fly 120 ft lines on light wind days, I need the help of shorter line sets. Even numbers appeal to me, so have 50, 30 and 20 ft lengths. Plus several shorter sets for the indoor kites.

Swannie: Shorter line sets might be a good use for your Shani line sets since you won't be flying team on 30 footers.

Again ... your mileage might vary.

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Oct 13 2013, 01:42 PM

120' is the "official" length for team flying, so I always have those with me. As should every Rev flier :)
I mostly fly on 120's since I need to have that speed and the size of window ingrained in me for team flying.

Otherwise, I fly on 75's. Why? Because that's what Rev's used to come with in the old days.

I also carry a set of something around 25' for messing around in small spaces or if I want to mess with the crowd in light winds.

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Oct 13 2013, 01:48 PM

BTW, the choice of 120's for team flying was somewhat random. When I wrote the manual and polled various international teams, some were flying on 100's. However, the extra 20' really help if you're flying more than 4 kites and I was flying on iQuad at the time and we were flying on 120's... so I chose 120 to be the standard.

swannie

Postby swannie » Sun, Oct 13 2013, 07:00 PM

Mike wrote:BTW, the choice of 120's for team flying was somewhat random. When I wrote the manual and polled various international teams, some were flying on 100's. However, the extra 20' really help if you're flying more than 4 kites and I was flying on iQuad at the time and we were flying on 120's... so I chose 120 to be the standard.

That's an interesting bit of history ... So you're the reason we all fly on 120's today? :)

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Oct 13 2013, 07:10 PM

Oops . . . . :oops:

I don't have experience with Shanti (afaik), so I will defer to Jeepster on this one . . . I'm sure he knows what he's talking about. I will say that the team 120 sets I've flown (made up by our own Big Mike using LPG, IIRC) are the best line sets I've ever used. They are really nice (and slick), even with a bunch of wraps. Plus they are pre-stretched and even (unlike my own).

I know I, for one, won't kick you out if you show up with a set of Shanti and want to fly together. Trust me, everybody in IKE has allowed me to fly in the group, and they know what crap my line sets are so . . . . unless I'm about to get kicked out :oops: ?

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Oct 13 2013, 08:08 PM

swannie wrote:That's an interesting bit of history ... So you're the reason we all fly on 120's today? :)

I should get a kickback from LPG :)

swannie

Postby swannie » Sun, Oct 13 2013, 08:30 PM

goestoeleven wrote:I don't have experience with Shanti (afaik), so I will defer to Jeepster on this one . . . I'm sure he knows what he's talking about. I will say that the team 120 sets I've flown (made up by our own Big Mike using LPG, IIRC) are the best line sets I've ever used. They are really nice (and slick), even with a bunch of wraps. Plus they are pre-stretched and even (unlike my own).

I've always heard (but never seen or tested myself) that mixing different brands of lines results in fire and brimstone coming down from the skies, rivers and seas boiling, forty years of darkness, earthquakes, volcanoes, the dead rising from the grave, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together ... mass hysteria! ... but that's just what I've read.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Fri, Jan 24 2014, 01:34 PM

I'm reviving this one for a moment as well. I have plenty of Shanti that I could make my own 120' set as well as a 40' set. I haven't jumped into the group flying yet, but I'd rather protect my 80' LPG stock sets for when I really need them. Does anyone have their own cobbled sets? LPG is so darn expensive to buy 120' sets and I want to sneak by until I really need it.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Jan 24 2014, 01:48 PM

Um . . . as a guy who has been "sneaking by" for a couple/three years . . . . you might want to pm Big Mike about line sets. He can set you up.

I will say that nobody has kicked me out of group flying yet, but I sometimes get some "interesting" comments on my line sets. Like . . . "you know your lines are different lengths" and "what kind of line is that, it seems really spongy" and "wow, I haven't seen line like that in 20 years." The last was referring to a couple 80ft line sets I obtained with some used revs . . . .

Well, I also might not remember getting kicked out . . . . and I only use team line sets (made by Big Mike) when flying with 180Go!

See what Big Mike can do for you . . . I might even replace some of my "naughty" line sets . . . some day.

Trigger

Postby Trigger » Fri, Jan 24 2014, 11:52 PM

I know what yall are thinking but this stuff is pretty SWEET! there are only 2 types i would recommend and this one is better than the other. then look at the price...

i'd have a set of lpg 120s just so you can play with the boys. for everything else this is GREAT!

http://www.amazon.com/Spiderwire-Stealt ... re+stealth

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Jan 25 2014, 11:30 AM

I've tried spiderwire in the past and found it too stretchy. Maybe the new stuff is better...

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Jan 25 2014, 12:01 PM

Now y'all know who has made the (correct) observations about my line sets. Mike knows what he's talking about, so I'd listen to him.

Early on in my rev-addiction, I thought about buying a pre-made set of lines, but figured I'd make my own sets to save some money and also to learn how to make a line set. The learning part was good, but in hindsight I did not save very much money once I'd bought all the line to make 120s, because I don't think they sell the line in 500 ft spools, which is pretty much what you need to make a single 120 ft line set (keeping in mind the extra line needed for larks head loops at each end). You end up having to buy a couple spools (or one bigger spool) to make a 120 set, and then your cost "savings" are eaten up by the extra line (although you still have that for other lengths, etc.). However, at the time, I knew I needed at least two or three line sets, so I thought I'd save some money (to spend on kites) while experimenting with other materials.

My really spongy set was made with Cortland Spectron, which is really very stretchy. I could tell even when I was laying out the lines and cutting them to length. For another set, I used Spiderwire Invisibraid, which is white (like LPG) and not as stretchy as the Cortland. The Spiderwire set was OK, but I found that the lines abraded quite quickly, and are now pretty rough where the lines cross while flying. I no longer use that set for any group flying unless it's the only one I have with me. The Cortland lines have stayed pretty smooth (probably because I don't fly that set very often). I ended up cutting up a couple of the Cortland Spectron 120ft lines into a 40ft set and a 12ft set since I'll never team fly on those lengths and the stretch is less pronounced in shorter lengths. I fly on the 40ft set quite a bit, and they're still OK.

FWIW, if I was going to do it all over again, I'd just buy an LPG set from Big Mike. They will be the right length, they will be pre-stretched, and they will stay smooth longer than the Spiderwire, and you really won't be spending that much more to get a set pre-made for you.

Trigger

Postby Trigger » Sat, Jan 25 2014, 07:14 PM

All do respect for sure....

I researched a lot.. Both manufactures have only ONE model of line that is acceptable. Spider has STEALTH and power pro has SUPER 8 SLICK. They have a tighter weave with less stretch than any of the microfiliment. They are spectra PP and dyneem spiderwire. I use the 80/90lb and have enjoyed these winter storms with no fear of breaking and no knot problems. They also come in common. 150yard and 300yard.... Which is 450 & 900FT. For under $38. Also yellow green blue red available

I prefer spider, the weave is tighter and line is considerably thinner and rounder. I have had intem creeking with PP, but I have also with LPG.

I still reccomend an LPG 120 set for sure!!!! But if you need\want to experiment with different line lengths for little cost, I HIGHLY RECCOMEND these.

It is not for everyone, but it is a valid option. My goal is to color code my line weights... 90 yellow, 50 blue...:)

Return to “Lines”