You folks will appreciate this...

All about quad line kiting. If the dark side appeals to you, this is your place.
swannie

You folks will appreciate this...

Postby swannie » Sat, Sep 28 2013, 05:03 PM

I tried to do a little flying in Cadiz today, but failed. I got rained out (after I got setup, of course) and the local (i.e. walking distance) beach is less then ideal. It looks nice on satellite imagery, but it's got about 100-120 feet of beach between the ocean and a 100-150 foot sloping (45deg angle or so) sea wall that does some REALLY funky stuff with the wind. There's another beach up the coast a bit that's much larger and flatter, unfortunately it's a taxi drive away from here. I might need to try that later in the week though...

Anyhow, I thought you guys might enjoy my conversation with ship's security at the x-ray upon my return to the vessel. My kite (rolled up the regular way), and my rev travel tote which I threw my kite stake, handles, and lines in while escaping the rain went into the x-ray machine along with my hat, cell phone, etc.

Security Guard: "What's this?" (pointing at his monitor, sounding concerned)
Me: "A kite stake."
S: "What do you intend to do with that onboard the ship...?"
M: "Nothing, I intended to use it an hour ago out there." (motioning over my shoulder to the great outside world)
S: (Realizing he just asked a stupid question.) "Oh ... So, you're not going to fly your kite onboard?"
M: "I don't know, do you think the Captain would let me?"
S: "Probably not."
M: "Okay, thanks. Have a nice night."

... at least I gave them something interesting to look at beyond purses, cell phones, and contractors trying to smuggle alcohol onboard. :)

Also, it turns out that the showers in the cabins are super-convenient to wash off the ton of sand that collects on a wet kite after a fast tear-down:
photo-1.JPG
photo-1.JPG (170.52 KiB) Viewed 1874 times

The shower head also holds the Rev travel tote nicely...

goestoeleven

Re: You folks will appreciate this...

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Sep 29 2013, 07:19 AM

I'm sensing we have another possible addict on our hands . . . . :-D :up: :up: :up:

So, maybe we should start a survey - how many people have washed off their revs in the shower (raises hand slowly)? . . . :-D

BTW, are you here?

Shari

Postby Shari » Sun, Sep 29 2013, 08:54 AM

that made me giggle!!! thanks for sharing!!!
Everything seems so much better when the sky is filled with beautiful colors.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Sun, Sep 29 2013, 09:43 AM

Wow, man! Where did you get the earth-tone Rev? So many chocolatey shades of brown. Yummmmmmmmmmmm......
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

swannie

Postby swannie » Sun, Sep 29 2013, 10:52 AM

goestoeleven wrote:I'm sensing we have another possible addict on our hands . . . . :-D :up: :up: :up:

So, maybe we should start a survey - how many people have washed off their revs in the shower (raises hand slowly)? . . . :-D

BTW, are you here?

Nope, here: here ... The beach I tried was here ... from the satellite image it looks like east of the beach is a wide sidewalk, followed by an area of grass/shrubs, then another sidewalk, and the road. Unfortunately that first wide sidewalk is actually the concrete sea wall. That along with the scrubby grass is all sloping up to the road height. South of there a few miles is the spot that I think would work out good. We'll see.... :)

swannie

Postby swannie » Sun, Sep 29 2013, 10:58 AM

makatakam wrote:Wow, man! Where did you get the earth-tone Rev? So many chocolatey shades of brown. Yummmmmmmmmmmm......

It's actually a blue/grey b-series. Bad lighting. :) It's one of these:

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Sep 29 2013, 07:31 PM

swannie wrote:Nope, here: here ... The beach I tried was here ...

Good luck with the second one. The first one might be OK with wind out of the south, but I can see where it would be funky from other directions. I found the dry dock where you are after I posted the first one, and almost posted it as well. Those are the only two that looked like they'd be big enough for a massive cruise ship, although I think I found four (or maybe more).

Looks like an interesting place to visit.

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Sep 29 2013, 08:20 PM

I wonder what the maid thought when she went to clean the shower....

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Sep 29 2013, 08:27 PM

I wonder if there are any maids - swannie is working, and the ship is in dry dock.

Interesting niche specialty - installing data centers on cruise ships. I find it hard to believe there'd be lots of that type of work out there, or that someone would have to travel from the US to Spain to do the work, but I'm glad for swannie that he has the work. Been fun to watch the progress on FB.

swannie

Postby swannie » Mon, Sep 30 2013, 02:33 AM

goestoeleven wrote:I wonder if there are any maids - swannie is working, and the ship is in dry dock.

Interesting niche specialty - installing data centers on cruise ships. I find it hard to believe there'd be lots of that type of work out there, or that someone would have to travel from the US to Spain to do the work, but I'm glad for swannie that he has the work. Been fun to watch the progress on FB.

Surprisingly, they have had cabin service during this dry dock ... at least more then I'm used to during one of these. Usually they come in every few days and change the towels, but this time they've been coming in every day and making the beds, etc. The fun part comes when they gut the cabin while I'm still living there. :)

Return to “Quad Line Kites”