Empty Spaces Kite Sale

If you don't know what category to put your topic in, put it here!
O2bkytn

Empty Spaces Kite Sale

Postby O2bkytn » Sun, Sep 01 2013, 07:15 AM

:(

Just trying to lend a hand.
Gene passed in January, and had a massive collection of kites, laundry and ground stuff.
This was posted on the kite flyers Facebook page this morning, immediately contacted Mary, and she gave me permission to spread the word.

Here is a list of things for sale so far. She is still working on adding as she can.

http://wcnet.org/~rweith/4gl/GLKites%20 ... 202100.pdf

Hello All. We are liquidating my father (Gene Lewandowski)'s private kite collection. He has kites from Peter Lind, Martin Lester, Carlisle Kiteworks, Crystal Kites, Azur, Edel and many more. Stunt kites to free flow; 1st editions and several signed. Currently they are located in Cleveland, Ohio but will be transported to Minnesota on 9/9 If you are interested, please contact me directly at TBPhineas@yahoo.com or by calling 962.491.1726 This is a link to just some of the kites we have inventoried. http://wcnet.org/~rweith/4gl/GLKites%20 ... 202100.pdf

goestoeleven

Re: Empty Spaces Kite Sale

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Sep 02 2013, 09:54 AM

Thanks for posting O2BKYTN. I've seen the list now. It's a BIG collection. Gene surely was an avid collector of kites of all kinds.

O2bkytn

Postby O2bkytn » Mon, Sep 02 2013, 04:32 PM

To paint the sky is why....

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Thu, Sep 05 2013, 07:54 AM

Looks like I've acquired a 6' American flag parafoil with drogue from Gene's collection. Any idea what strength of flying line I'll need for such a kite?
I decided I needed a signature line, so I wrote this.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Sep 05 2013, 08:06 AM

Congratulations. I've missed on everything I've asked about. Everything I tried for is already sold, but I think there's lots left.

I honestly have no idea, but once you get it in hand, you can compare the actual size to foils on vendor sites to see what they recommend.

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Fri, Sep 06 2013, 10:10 AM

KiteVoice wrote:Looks like I've acquired a 6' American flag parafoil with drogue from Gene's collection. Any idea what strength of flying line I'll need for such a kite?

goestoeleven wrote:I honestly have no idea, but once you get it in hand, you can compare the actual size to foils on vendor sites to see what they recommend.

Did a little research. I'll know for certain when the kite arrives (it's due today) but based on the description in the Lewandowski database and information found online, it appears the kite is a 72 x 60 inch (30 sq. ft.) Greens American Flag Stratoscoop 3. Below is an ad I found in an online PDF of a 1985 AKA magazine:

Based on the info below, I'll need 115 kilogram (approx. 250 pound) line. Steve, do you have any similar line from your "big purchase?"

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Sep 06 2013, 10:24 AM

I might have some. I did not get much in the heavier weights. I have lots and lots below 150lb weight, but that doesn't help. I'll take a look before the retreat.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Fri, Sep 06 2013, 11:22 AM

This was posted in kitebuilder a few years ago ... line strength has been changed to match your 30 sq ft kite:

Going by the rule of thumb of "multiply the number of square feet (of the kite) by 5, and then use line rated for that many pounds", you would need 150 pound line. That estimate has the margin of safety (against line breaks and lost kites) built in.

When I joined Caterpillar the phrase "When in doubt, make it stout" was the stated corporate philosophy. Seems that that thought process has carried over into the line choices I make. I hate the thought of chasing kites, so I error on the heavier side.

Lines strengths in my line bag are: a wide assortment 100 lb and less, 150 lb, 250 lb, 300 lb, 450 lb, 1200 lb. My go-to sizes are 150 (Premier), 450 (Gomberg) and 1200 (Gomberg).

1) 20 sq ft mini-mocks on 150 lb line until the wind gets over 20 mph ... then I've gone as high as 450 lb line 'cuz it was all I had at the time.

2) 40 sq ft double-mock on 250 lb line ... haven't flown it in high winds yet

3) 50 sq ft Killip Kite on 450 lb line

4) 75 sq ft Bull Dog kite on 1200 lb line ... this kite develops some real pull and will make the back of my Jeep bounce up and down in high winds

5) 100 sq ft Oletree kites on 450 lb line in light winds ... 1200 if the winds are going to be much more than light

5) 190 sq ft Stealth on 1200 lb line

Since my Bull Dog kite (4) is the closest in design to your new one, I'd probably opt for the 250 lb line.

Unless the winds are going to be extremely light, there is no real advantage to minimizing your line strength. That is, unless you're going for an altitude record, and then, you'll be buying spectra and varying the diameter as the line is deployed.

Cheers,
Tom

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Sep 06 2013, 11:35 AM

It's so nice having an engineer like Jeepster in the club . . . . thanks for the input. Now that I have a rule of thumb to use, I feel I "need" stronger line (and something(s) to fly at the end). Strongest I have at the moment is one reel of 500lb . . .

I tried to get some of the bigger stuff in the sale, but missed on all of it.

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Fri, Sep 06 2013, 12:41 PM

Jeepster wrote:Since my Bull Dog kite (4) is the closest in design to your new one, I'd probably opt for the 250 lb line.

So the bottom line is that you agree with the manufacturer's recommendation of 115 kilo (approx. 250 pound) line, right? That's what I'm hoping Steve might have a surplus of from Stan's collection.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Fri, Sep 06 2013, 12:47 PM

It's a good starting point. See how it flies and how it pulls and then adjust the line from there is really what I'm suggesting.

Cheers,
Tom

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Fri, Sep 06 2013, 03:10 PM

Just unboxed the kite. It is indeed a Greens Stratoscoop 3 designed as an American flag. Looks like it hasn't been out of the bag in a long time and it's a bit dirty and smelly. I'm airing it out on the picnic table on our back porch right now.

Looks like it might take considerable wind to inflate the thing. Unfortunately, I have no idea what its wind rating might be.

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Fri, Sep 13 2013, 10:20 PM

Got the flag stratoscoop in the air this evening. Launched easily in what the airport reported to be 13 mph wind.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sat, Sep 14 2013, 07:45 AM

Neat kite ... good catch.

Looks like you've got an afternoon's project straightening out the bridle lines. Then maybe some tuning since some of the keels don't look like they're carrying their load ... or is that just 'cuz it's low to the ground?

Do you have a closeup of one of the first keels? It looks like they are double walled and open like scoops. If so, wonder why.

Also, how did it pull? With a multi-row bridle line setup, one can tune the kite to really, really pull. My bull dog, at 75 sq ft, will really bounce the back end of my Jeep when I use it as an anchor point.

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Sep 14 2013, 03:07 PM

That will be a popular kite at festivals!

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Sat, Sep 14 2013, 09:44 PM

Jeepster wrote:Looks like you've got an afternoon's project straightening out the bridle lines. Then maybe some tuning since some of the keels don't look like they're carrying their load ... or is that just 'cuz it's low to the ground?

In the close-up shot, I'm holding the tow point in my hand, so it's really close to the ground. But when it was flying (75' or so up), it did want to tilt to the right. So I'm sure it will need some tuning, which seems like a major chore with all those lines!

Do you have a closeup of one of the first keels? It looks like they are double walled and open like scoops. If so, wonder why.

The stratoscoop is an unusual parafoil. The top ends of the cells are closed. The air enters through "scoops" that are placed between the keels in the top row.

Also, how did it pull? With a multi-row bridle line setup, one can tune the kite to really, really pull. My bull dog, at 75 sq ft, will really bounce the back end of my Jeep when I use it as an anchor point.

I did not hand-hold the kite (except for the close-up). I tied it off to my car with 200 lb. line (strongest I have) before launching in 13 mph wind. I did grab the line at one point and give it a pull. It seemed to be pulling pretty hard, like it could easily hold up a lot of line laundry.

It looks like I'll make it to the retreat on Saturday and I welcome you guys to take a look and give advice.

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Mon, Sep 16 2013, 09:55 AM

For those who are interested in Gene Lewandowski's collection, I just learned that daughter Mary Buck has updated the sale website and the collection inventory that's posted there.

Return to “General Discussion”