3rd annual IKE Kite retreat! September 21st / 22nd

General conversation and discussion about the IKE Club.
prairierose

Re: 3rd annual IKE Kite retreat! September 21st / 22nd

Postby prairierose » Sat, Aug 31 2013, 07:41 AM

Hooray! (I'm coming too!)

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Sep 02 2013, 03:56 PM

Booked (still got the special rate even though I'm a day or two late booking).

swannie

Postby swannie » Mon, Sep 02 2013, 04:43 PM

I'm planning on coming down for Saturday only since I'm leaving for Spain on Sunday. This is my first one of these events when do things typically get started on Saturday? Does everyone bring a lunch, or does everyone tear down and pack up to go to lunch? Where specifically at the Indiana dunes does everyone meet? I've never been to 'da dunes, but I think it's a pretty big place... :)

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Sep 02 2013, 05:00 PM

If I recall correctly, we brought or own lunch on Saturday. There's a small snack bar there, but I don't know if it's open after labor day. I will probably get there about ten am. Don't know about others.

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Sep 02 2013, 05:14 PM

10 sounds reasonable. People who live closer may be there at 9, others may not show up until noon.
The location is on the Maps link that's at the top of every page of the forum. If map isn't clear, post back here, and we'll help you find it.

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Tue, Sep 03 2013, 10:11 AM

Mike wrote:The location is on the Maps link that's at the top of every page of the forum. If map isn't clear, post back here, and we'll help you find it.

For those who haven't been to the retreat, It's super easy to find. If "Indiana Dunes State Park" is not in your GPS database, try the following address:

1600 N CR-25 E Chesterton, IN 46304

Or just get yourself to the intersection of Indiana 49 and U.S. 12. At that point, Indiana 49 ends and becomes County Road 25 E from that intersection north. Continue north on CR 25 E into the park. Be prepared to pay a small admission fee at the gate ($5/car/day for Indiana residents, $10/car/day for non-residents). Shortly after the gate is a roundabout. Go half way around it (coming out on the opposite side from which you enter) and you'll be on the road to the beach.

Below is a close-up map of the park to help you find your way from the gatehouse to the retreat.

(Edited to correct out-of-state entrance fee.)
Last edited by KiteVoice on Tue, Sep 03 2013, 10:38 AM, edited 3 times in total.
I decided I needed a signature line, so I wrote this.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Sep 03 2013, 10:15 AM

Thanks for the update - just a quick correction to the admission fee: It's $10/day for non-Indiana residents.

Last year, most of the flying was to the right of the parking lot as you face the beach. In other words, if you get there first, then head over the bridge and off to the right (northeast) to set up. It's a bit further to the bathrooms, but there are fewer people to the right of the creek, so more room for flying.
Last edited by goestoeleven on Tue, Sep 03 2013, 10:18 AM, edited 1 time in total.

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Tue, Sep 03 2013, 10:16 AM

goestoeleven wrote:If I recall correctly, we brought or own lunch on Saturday. There's a small snack bar there, but I don't know if it's open after labor day. I will probably get there about ten am. Don't know about others.

Last year, I took a cooler with a few beverages and on the way to the park, bought a sandwich at Jimmy John's to put in the cooler.

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Tue, Sep 03 2013, 10:19 AM

goestoeleven wrote:Thanks for the update - just a quick correction to the admission fee: It's $10/day for non-Indiana residents.

I stand corrected. I didn't scroll down the DNR fee page far enough to see that IDSP's fee is different than the rest of the state parks.

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Tue, Sep 03 2013, 10:27 AM

KiteVoice wrote:
Mike wrote:We also need to know who's coming so we can reserve a block of rooms. If you're at least 80% sure you're coming, chime in, the rooms will be cancelable.

Consider me 80%. Any idea on a room rate yet?

My probability of participation is now down to 20%. :(

We have so many things going on during other September weekends that I might need the retreat weekend to finish a small exterior house-painting project (our siding is mostly aluminum with wood on the front face that must be painted before this winter).

If I'm able to get enough painting done weeknight evenings between now and the retreat, I'll try to show up for at least one day, probably Saturday.

I really hope I can make it, because I've been building some skill on my Rev. -- maybe enough enough to try a little group flying.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Sep 03 2013, 10:37 AM

KiteVoice wrote:I really hope I can make it, because I've been building some skill on my Rev. -- maybe enough enough to try a little group flying.

We hope you can make it too! If you can fly a figure 8, then you are ready for some group flying. Even better if you can hover a bit and control your forward speed. Even if you don't feel ready, I'm sure we can get you in some small group flying with even a little bit of practice on the day of the retreat.

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Tue, Sep 03 2013, 10:41 AM

goestoeleven wrote:Last year, most of the flying was to the right of the parking lot as you face the beach. In other words, if you get there first, then head over the bridge and off to the right (northeast) to set up. It's a bit further to the bathrooms, but there are fewer people to the right of the creek, so more room for flying.

Good point. The actual flying site was really easy for me to find last year, because by the time I arrived at the parking lot, Mike already had a parafoil single-line kite bearing the IKE logo in the air.

Given how dry it's been for the past few weeks, the creek will probably be small enough to step over (as it was last year), so it might not be necessary to use the bridge!

swannie

Postby swannie » Tue, Sep 03 2013, 08:51 PM

Mike wrote:10 sounds reasonable. People who live closer may be there at 9, others may not show up until noon.
The location is on the Maps link that's at the top of every page of the forum. If map isn't clear, post back here, and we'll help you find it.

Ha! I never noticed that "Maps" link up there ... well, that's handy! :)

backdraft

Postby backdraft » Wed, Sep 04 2013, 04:38 PM

Looking forward to making this!

zero1199

Postby zero1199 » Wed, Sep 04 2013, 09:42 PM

backdraft wrote:Looking forward to making this!

Me too and hoping to see my new STD. :twisted:

Trigger

Postby Trigger » Thu, Sep 05 2013, 01:52 AM

Can i get in on some of that team flying training? :)

Need to get past that first WRAP!

thanks
jim

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Thu, Sep 05 2013, 07:51 AM

I've listed the retreat on the website of the Hoosier Kitefliers Society. (Should have done this sooner ... didn't cross my mind until this morning!)

Mytoyz

Postby Mytoyz » Thu, Sep 05 2013, 09:56 AM

zero1199 wrote:
backdraft wrote:Looking forward to making this!

Me too and hoping to see my new STD. :twisted:

I am going with all the joy and excitement of a four year old on Christmas morning, but definitely not looking forward to any STD's. Is there something I am missing about the retreat I should know about? LOL. Hoping you meant to type my new SLE?
Blue skies and Steady Winds

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Sep 05 2013, 10:01 AM

I am pretty sure he means a new standard, full sail custom b-pro Rev built by Bazzer . . .

Say does go for quality . . .

Trigger

Postby Trigger » Thu, Sep 05 2013, 10:06 AM

it'll be nice to fly with you again dennis!

Return to “Club Discussion”