Wind meter/anemometer ... any value?

If you don't know what category to put your topic in, put it here!
swannie

Wind meter/anemometer ... any value?

Postby swannie » Fri, Aug 02 2013, 03:22 PM

Hey all,

A few times when I've been out flying I've thought to my self, "Gee, I wish I had a anom... aneom... aoneme... wind meter." Usually it's at times when the wind speed/gusts/direction etc doesn't seem to agree with my WindAlert app (I wish the WindAlert app updated more often then once an hour.)

Those if you that have one, do you find it useful at times? Is it one of those things you pull out a few times right after you get it, then eventually it just sits in the bag with dead batteries?

Swannie

Darkspark

Re: Wind meter/anemometer ... any value?

Postby Darkspark » Fri, Aug 02 2013, 04:59 PM

It would fall into the second catagory. Pull it out a couple times then is would sit at the bottom of the bag. Least it has in my case.
Windalert is my goto wind forecast app also. It is by far the most accurate, as long as you pull information off a station that has enough open area to get accurate readings. I use the local airports station for kankakee. I have slowly cared less and less about the actual speed, and just pick a kite that feels comfortable for whatever the condition at the time.

kitemeister

Postby kitemeister » Fri, Aug 02 2013, 05:30 PM

For me, I use Weatherbug. I selected a High School near me that is a Weatherbug location. I like that it shows the direction on a wind compass along with the speed. It updates every minute so you can tell if the wind is steady or gusty.
Karl

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Fri, Aug 02 2013, 05:58 PM

I use windalert. It is the best tool I can find that comes closest to finding the actual conditions. Swannie I'm sure you experienced how the wind shifts on a dime out here so a wind meter isnt going to help so much. We're right next to Aurora Airport.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

swannie

Postby swannie » Fri, Aug 02 2013, 09:42 PM

TMadz wrote:I use windalert. It is the best tool I can find that comes closest to finding the actual conditions. Swannie I'm sure you experienced how the wind shifts on a dime out here so a wind meter isnt going to help so much. We're right next to Aurora Airport.

Yup - that's for sure ... My only complaint about windalert is that it only updates hourly for KARR ... I might give WeatherBug a try, maybe between the two I'll be happy. :)

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Aug 03 2013, 08:56 AM

I thought about getting one a couple years ago, but ended up not buying anything (but kites). I don't really care about precise measurements of the wind - if there's wind, I'll fly, and if there isn't, I might try to fly anyway. I just pick a kite and put it in the air (and sometimes watch it come right back down when there's no wind). Plus, as your ability and mood changes, the kite you can (or want) to fly in any particular wind may vary (or it may be determined based on what you do (or don't :-() have in the bag that day). I think wind meters tend to get used to settle arguments between kite flyers about the current wind speed . . .

Waiting for Jeepster to chime in . . . . I'm pretty sure he'll recommend getting a good one if you are going to get one :-D

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sat, Aug 03 2013, 04:34 PM

goestoeleven wrote:... I think wind meters tend to get used to settle arguments between kite flyers about the current wind speed . . .

Waiting for Jeepster to chime in . . . . I'm pretty sure he'll recommend getting a good one if you are going to get one :-D

Settling arguments would be my input. They prove that most folks don't know what they're talking about when they "claim" that the wind speed is XX mph. Think we did that at an IKE get together a few years back when I got my first wind meter. If the winds are low, folks guess too low ... and, if the wind is a little high, they guess too high. So, it's a nice tool for settling arguments ... or starting them, as the case may be.

Wind meters get used very little, so even an inexpensive one is adequate. My first one - besides the ping-pong ball on a thread one - was $19.95 from an ammo website. It works great and is accurate enough for most users. However, if you love gadgets, then the Windtronics II should be on your wish list. Kestrel sells some good units too ... ask Paul K about his.

In kiting, I think large SLKs fliers have more of a need to use wind meters than sport kite folks. It's easier to get into trouble with a large SLK than it is with a sport kite. But, even then, your smart phone and the back of your neck is probably good enough.

Cheers,
Tom

Mytoyz

Postby Mytoyz » Sat, Aug 03 2013, 05:18 PM

I carry two items in my bag besides my Wind meter with the dead batteries. One is a Small prism stowaway Delta. Put it up, and you always have the wind center and if its under 5 MPH, it wont stay up. The other item is from my RC flying days, its a small surveyor's wooden stick with a piece of ribbon on it with the wind values and ribbon angle wrote on the stick with marker. I simply used my wind meter to assign values to the ribbon angle. 0 wind - ribbon limp. 5 MPH ribbon will stand at 45 degrees and when ribbon is straight out I have 10+ mph. Pretty basic, will always show wind direction and it doesn't require batteries. I am sure when Neanderthal man went out to the dregs to fly, double A batteries weren't around yet.
Blue skies and Steady Winds

swannie

Postby swannie » Sat, Aug 03 2013, 06:26 PM

Mytoyz wrote:One is a Small prism stowaway Delta.

Funny you mention that. I just bought one the other day with that purpose in mind... Good kite?

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Sat, Aug 03 2013, 06:40 PM

the delta is better than the para foil. I have a para foil and it only flies in consistent winds, but it sure is pretty.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

Mytoyz

Postby Mytoyz » Sat, Aug 03 2013, 08:07 PM

swannie wrote:
Mytoyz wrote:One is a Small prism stowaway Delta.

Funny you mention that. I just bought one the other day with that purpose in mind... Good kite?

Sure is, needs a small tail on each wingtip and it stabilizes beautifully. I use surveyor tape for tails.
Blue skies and Steady Winds

Return to “General Discussion”