Delta Conyne Build

Questions and conversations related to sewing up a magnificent kite creation.
Jeepster

Delta Conyne Build

Postby Jeepster » Mon, Jul 22 2013, 08:14 PM

It's getting so I cringe every time I end up flying with Tony Killip. At Kites Over Hoover Park, he launched a Sun Oaks Delta Conyne kite while we were waiting for the winds to pick up enough to launch the foils. Darn kite stayed up all day with no attention needed. Hmmm. Investigated and investigated and investigated ... planning is half the fun ... yes? Finally ended up with a size and the framing for it. Called up my friendly "tube pusher" for an order ... he said he sold what I wanted, but it wouldn't be a good choice. Geez, I hate it when that happens. So, I followed his guidance and framed it with P400's and P8's. Looks like his guidance was spot on the mark.

Finished the last stitch this afternoon and ran out to test fly it. Winds were up-and- down from zero to 12 mph, so not the best day to experiment. But, the kite launches and flies in very low winds ... mission accomplished. However, it does tend to fly at a 90 degree line angle when the winds pick up, so will have to tune out that idiosyncrasy. Here's a pic of the first flight:

Maiden Flight - S.jpg
Maiden Flight - S.jpg (115.78 KiB) Viewed 1431 times

Oh yes, it's 65 inches tall and a little over 12.5 feet from tip to tip ... 40 sq ft.

Now I'll have to work on the tuning the kite and on something to fly behind it.

Yes, I know it looks like my normal warm fade color set ... but, look close and you'll see that I got really wild and added a strip of Gold Coast to break out of the mold.

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Re: Delta Conyne Build

Postby Mike » Tue, Jul 23 2013, 03:33 PM

its beautiful!

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Tue, Jul 23 2013, 03:54 PM

Mike wrote:its beautiful!

:ditto What Mike said. :up: :coolp:
I decided I needed a signature line, so I wrote this.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Jul 23 2013, 09:43 PM

Agreed, very nice build. You and Zero1199 (Xay) need to get together and compare notes.

I'll have to check into the specs on those spars because I have some slightly smaller delta sails to frame up (not my own construction - Sun Oaks sails w/o spars). Maybe I will give the spar pusher a call as well. I love his clearance items!

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Wed, Jul 24 2013, 09:03 PM

Very nice, I may have to get into SLK's again.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

zero1199

Postby zero1199 » Sun, Jul 28 2013, 03:00 AM

I love the color on this one, and nice job.

I am building a 16ft DC right now that why I'm still up at this time of the night, my will be red, white and blue.

Return to “Sewing”