Hello From Chicago!

Tell us a little about yourself and let us welcome you to the forum.
Sheyala

Hello From Chicago!

Postby Sheyala » Sat, Jan 06 2007, 09:39 AM

Hello! I've been flying stunt kites for about 5 years now on a rather casual, solitary basis. I've never met another kite flyer, believe it or not! My attempts to find people in the areas I've lived never really worked out, so I've just been doing my own thing. It's always a great way to relax. :) I do plan to go to kite festivals now that I'm out of school and have a job. (Yay! Money! Woohoo!) I was poking around the internet to see when they are this year, and found this site. :D

I'm a recent transplant to Chicago from Southern/Central Illinois - So recent that I havent been able to find a good place to fly yet! I was spoiled at the last place I lived; the best field around was right next door. :D Suggestions would be most welcome - where can I go? I live IN the city, so there will be some travel time involved, I'm sure. The idea of actually having WIND is a bit intimidating. *grin* I adore my Mako, but usually I wasn't able to fly it because the wind was so light. I also have a Niknak, Micron, Yinyang, and an Adrenaline. I bought my parents a Prisim E2 a while back when they first came out, and we like that quite a bit as well.

Good to meet you folks, and hopefully we can have some fun. :-D

Mike

Re: Hello From Chicago!

Postby Mike » Sat, Jan 06 2007, 09:51 AM

Welcome Sheyala!
If you don't mind driving back down to central Illinois :-D , we'll be having a club fly at the end of the month.
We'll have others up in the Chicago area too.

Tom (knoted4ever) is an avid dual line guy and he will be there.
I'm a quad guy myself, so I'll try to get you to try flying a Revolution. :twisted:

I'm down in Champaign so I don't know the Chicago area all that well, but other folks here may be able to help you out.

That's a cool looking avatar you've got.

Very glad you joined us and hope to meet you in person soon!

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sat, Jan 06 2007, 10:30 AM

Welcome from the western suburbs...

I'm in the Aurora area which would be a bit of a haul for you. The closest spot I know of to you is Lisle but that is still a bit of a haul. I'm sure that Dave from Chicago Kite could give you a few ideas where to fly in the city... give him a call and tell him $2000.... :rotfl

Please try to make our fly later this month and like Mike, I am a quad guy too...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Sat, Jan 06 2007, 11:25 AM

Welcome,

I would suggest that you get a hold of the sponsor of this board, Dave at Chicago Kite ((708) 848-4907). I know that he can
put you in contact with some city fliers who fly along the lakefront. I should be able to do so, but I am horrible with names and
I am drawing a blank right now. I see fliers from other parts of the country / world more than I see local fliers, which is not the
normal state of things. But, I do know that there are some people who regularly fly in the city. Some, I remember names but
no contact info, some just first names and some just faces. This may be a sign I need to fly more locally. :-D

Hopefully you will make it out to the club flys, but it is nice to be able to fly without a huge effort.
Alan Sparling

Chris

Postby Chris » Sat, Jan 06 2007, 12:14 PM

Yes, welcome to the club Sheyala! Always good to hear from new members :up: Check out http://www.chicagokite.com/ for info on upcoming festivals, and our forum for club flys. Welcome again! :revspin:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Sheyala

Postby Sheyala » Sat, Jan 06 2007, 12:16 PM

Thanks for the friendly replies!

Babbman, I actually work in Lombard, so I'm used to the drive. It would be a haul from home, you're right. ;) What's in Lisle? Maybe I can get some flying time in after work and let the traffic settle. (Hah!) I really miss it. I'll be sure to stop in and talk to Dave, see what he has to say.

Saturday the 27th, from this thread? I'll try to be there. :)
Last edited by Sheyala on Sat, Jan 06 2007, 12:21 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Sat, Jan 06 2007, 12:16 PM

Welcome Sheyala,

I from the south side of the city, I would also say call Dave at Kite Harbor. Sure hope you can make it out to the :clubfly: at the end of the month. Its always nice to put faces with the screen names!! :-D
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Sat, Jan 06 2007, 12:17 PM

Welcome from the cornfields west of Chicago! Glad you were able to find us.
TTFN,
Draftnik

stevebell

Postby stevebell » Sat, Jan 06 2007, 08:42 PM

Sheyala,

Welcome to IKE from Bradley! Looking forward to meeting you this month. I've got a Nexus and a couple of WindDance foils that I might break out at the club fly.

Steve

stevebell

Postby stevebell » Sat, Jan 06 2007, 08:44 PM

Forgot to mention that I will probably try to lure you to the Dark Side, too! :revspin: :wink:

Steve

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sat, Jan 06 2007, 09:13 PM

Sheyala wrote:Thanks for the friendly replies!

Babbman, I actually work in Lombard, so I'm used to the drive. It would be a haul from home, you're right. ;) What's in Lisle? Maybe I can get some flying time in after work and let the traffic settle. (Hah!) I really miss it. I'll be sure to stop in and talk to Dave, see what he has to say.

Saturday the 27th, from this thread? I'll try to be there. :)

I fly on my lunch hour at Community Park in Lisle. 53 and Short street... about 2 miles south of 53 & 88. There is usually no one there (except the cheapskate who breaks park rules and drives golf balls even though there is a real driving range at the south end of the park).

I tend not to fly after work there as once it stays light after 5pm, they have the parks pretty well booked for soccer and baseball and anything else they can dream up.

But, if you can ever make it out at lunch time, I'd be happy to meet you there. Just PM me through this board if you ever need anything.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Thu, Jan 11 2007, 06:53 PM

Welcome 2 D forum, Sheyala!

Don't let them lure you to the Darkside... it's a terrible, evil, massive black hole... where your quarks and gluons (not to mention brain cells) will dissipate into utter nothingness! :shock:

i'll be at the Bourbonnais Fly on the 27th and can teach you a couple of dual line tricks... if you don't get swallowed by their massive black hole!
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Chris

Postby Chris » Thu, Jan 11 2007, 07:52 PM

Boy, that explains the headaches!!! :shock:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Sheyala

Postby Sheyala » Thu, Jan 11 2007, 10:00 PM

*snickers* Sounds painful!

Quad folk - I have nothing against quad line kites in theory, but I do think that the stunt kites are far more attractive. It's all about the sharp tips and sweeping edges. :)

Babbman, I'll try to get out there one day soon. My lunch hour is 45 min (11:30 - 12:15), so there might not be much overlap when you consider the driving time.

Knoted4ever, I've never really gotten the hang of tricks. Watching someone who knows what they're doing will probably help quite a bit. ^-^ Don't worry that I'll abandon my kites for some new-fangled funny-shaped quad kite - won't happen. :angle:

Shey,
Having a hard time cutting back on her smiley usage

Chris

Postby Chris » Fri, Jan 12 2007, 04:57 AM

:shock: "Having a hard time cutting back on her smiley usage" :shock:

[smiley smilie=6 fontcolor=000000 shadowcolor=000000 shieldshadow=1]HECK [/smiley] [smiley smilie=4 fontcolor=000000 shadowcolor=000000 shieldshadow=1]NO[/smiley] [smiley smilie=8 fontcolor=000000 shadowcolor=000000 shieldshadow=1]WE[/smiley] [smiley smilie=7 fontcolor=000000 shadowcolor=000000 shieldshadow=1]WON'T[/smiley] [smiley smilie=9 fontcolor=000000 shadowcolor=000000 shieldshadow=1]GO!!!![/smiley]

:guns: My smilies won't allow me to cut back.... :guns:

-unknown

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Fri, Jan 12 2007, 06:07 PM

i don't have anything against quad kites, in theory, either; but i can't help wondering that if God truly wanted us to fly quads, he would have not had us evolve from apelikefeethands to what we consist of now!

Just kidding... i may well purchase the upcoming, trick-capable Tesseract 4-line kite. It will depend on the price (and the reviews); but i bet it is one sweet kite that can really dance and go with the flow!

"Knoted4ever, I've never really gotten the hang of tricks. "

Tricking, to me, is 95% of the fun; i can do precision very well i think... but there is nothing like doing tricks... having the kite do jazz-oriented and zen-like things that kites aren't supposed to do! :mrblue:
Tom P.

Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jan 23 2007, 10:02 AM

I'll admit that I find the dual line kites much prettier than the quads.
Quad heads are control-freaks and shy-extroverts--we can play with the crowd but still stand 120' away. :-D

Chris

Postby Chris » Tue, Jan 23 2007, 05:49 PM

shy-extroverts
:rotfl

-unknown

Return to “Introductions”