Club Fly, 6/29/13

Invites, discussion and general information about IKE Club Fly events and quick flys.
User avatar
Mike
Posts: 6675
Joined: Sun, Oct 29 2006, 05:03 PM
Location: Charleston, IL

Club Fly, 6/29/13

Postby Mike » Tue, Jun 11 2013, 10:41 AM

The location hasn't been determined quite yet, but set aside the Saturday a couple weeks from now for a club fly.
Saturday, June 29th.

User avatar
zero1199
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu, Sep 06 2012, 10:13 PM

Re: Club Fly, 6/29/13

Postby zero1199 » Tue, Jun 11 2013, 12:43 PM

I'm in!
Image

User avatar
goestoeleven
Posts: 2317
Joined: Sun, Sep 12 2010, 09:07 PM
Location: Wheaton, IL

Re: Club Fly, 6/29/13

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Jun 11 2013, 05:35 PM

Ditto

User avatar
backdraft
Posts: 448
Joined: Fri, Jun 08 2007, 03:37 AM
Location: cabery, il

Re: Club Fly, 6/29/13

Postby backdraft » Tue, Jun 11 2013, 05:47 PM

Kankakee or Pontiac. Going to see if we can get then to mow the grass

User avatar
cadguy
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed, Apr 08 2009, 09:08 PM
Location: Beavercreek (Dayton), OH

Re: Club Fly, 6/29/13

Postby cadguy » Wed, Jun 12 2013, 08:57 PM

any local festivals or activities on the 29th to maybe show up at and put on a show? ;)

User avatar
backdraft
Posts: 448
Joined: Fri, Jun 08 2007, 03:37 AM
Location: cabery, il

Re: Club Fly, 6/29/13

Postby backdraft » Thu, Jun 13 2013, 05:42 AM

I will look into what things there are to do in Pontiac and Kankakee also.

User avatar
prairierose
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue, Oct 31 2006, 02:03 PM
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Club Fly, 6/29/13

Postby prairierose » Fri, Jun 14 2013, 06:33 AM

I'm there

User avatar
Shari
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon, Jul 19 2010, 05:00 PM

Re: Club Fly, 6/29/13

Postby Shari » Fri, Jun 14 2013, 09:37 AM

Bourbonnais Friendship Festival is June 26th thru June 30th 2013. We could crash. Mikey has been wanting to do that for years. :)
Everything seems so much better when the sky is filled with beautiful colors.

User avatar
Pkrekel
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun, Apr 29 2007, 02:08 PM
Location: Decatur, IL

Re: Club Fly, 6/29/13

Postby Pkrekel » Fri, Jun 14 2013, 01:53 PM

If it is in Pontiac or Kankakee area, I will be there!

User avatar
cadguy
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed, Apr 08 2009, 09:08 PM
Location: Beavercreek (Dayton), OH

Re: Club Fly, 6/29/13

Postby cadguy » Fri, Jun 14 2013, 03:03 PM

we could do a kite flash mob! find a place to set up and wait for a specific time to all launch.
Kite Jam 2013! :onlawn: :raspberry: :jester: :clubfly: :LogoRevAni:

Trigger
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue, Jul 17 2012, 09:58 PM

Re: Club Fly, 6/29/13

Postby Trigger » Fri, Jun 14 2013, 06:13 PM

cadguy wrote:we could do a kite flash mob! find a place to set up and wait for a specific time to all launch.
Kite Jam 2013! :onlawn: :raspberry: :jester: :clubfly: :LogoRevAni:


LOVE IT!
:up:

User avatar
Darkspark
Posts: 580
Joined: Sun, Jun 14 2009, 11:13 AM
Location: kankakee Ill

Re: Club Fly, 6/29/13

Postby Darkspark » Sat, Jun 15 2013, 05:02 PM

Sounds fun to me! Although 10 people unrolling lines and putting together kites might spoil the surprise.

I always have wanted to fly at the friendship fest. Draws alot of people on Saturday. Would depend on if they mowed the grass in the big field.

User avatar
zero1199
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu, Sep 06 2012, 10:13 PM

Re: Club Fly, 6/29/13

Postby zero1199 » Sat, Jun 15 2013, 07:28 PM

If its down that way you know who I like to show up there? (Jeepster)
I have so many question for him about kite making. :twisted:
Image

User avatar
Mike
Posts: 6675
Joined: Sun, Oct 29 2006, 05:03 PM
Location: Charleston, IL

Re: Club Fly, 6/29/13

Postby Mike » Sat, Jun 15 2013, 07:39 PM

Many of us in the club have sewn kites, but Jeepster certainly has a lot of big beautiful kites to his name.
You can also ask questions here on the forum if Jeepster doesn't show up to the fly.

User avatar
zero1199
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu, Sep 06 2012, 10:13 PM

Re: Club Fly, 6/29/13

Postby zero1199 » Sat, Jun 15 2013, 08:24 PM

It would be nice to see some of his big kite, and meet him too.


I saw some of his big kite on area51.
Image

User avatar
Jeepster
Posts: 698
Joined: Sat, Jun 07 2008, 07:35 AM
Location: Washington, Illinois
Contact:

Re: Club Fly, 6/29/13

Postby Jeepster » Tue, Jun 18 2013, 10:05 AM

zero1199 wrote:It would be nice to see some of his big kite, and meet him too.


I saw some of his big kite on area51.


Thanks for the compliments guys.

I try to warn folks not to attend festivals or club flys where IKE members are present. A few years ago I went to the Pontiac festival and Big Mike forced a set of Rev handles in my hand. That was on a Saturday ... on the next Friday my first Rev arrived in the mail. Now my kite bag contains a dozen Revs. Then a couple of years after that, Mike put on a ROK building class in the bustling metropolis of Cabery, Illinois. Now the kite bag includes another dozen homemade Revs. BTW - I asked Ben Dantonio for permission before building them.

I tried to get away from the terrible influence of the IKE members by traveling to Texas to visit Barry Ogletree. Unfortunately someone must have called ahead because he introduced me to building foil kites. Between Barry and Tony Killip, I've been buried in nylon in the basement for the last couple of years. James Patton even compounded the addiction by contributing a kite to build during a lull in the sewing. Speaking of James, there is a fellow who really has the kite building bug bad.

Watching Tony's DC fly at Kites Over Hoover Park got me to thinking about building a DC. Then I saw the pictures of your DCs with tails at Grand Haven ... that added to the desire. Now I've got a couple on the drawing board. The addiction just never seems to end!!!!

The bottom line is that if you want to stay out of poverty, stay away from IKE members ... they are nylon pushers. They'll hand you a loaner kite just to get you hooked. Then they'll teach you to sew your own, and you're really hooked. You need to run far, far away before it's too late.

We're 90% of the way to attending ... take pity on Paul, Mike and myself by picking Pontiac and we're there for sure!!!!!

Cheers,
Tom

User avatar
Mike
Posts: 6675
Joined: Sun, Oct 29 2006, 05:03 PM
Location: Charleston, IL

Re: Club Fly, 6/29/13

Postby Mike » Tue, Jun 18 2013, 05:13 PM

Actually, Pontiac and Kankakee are both a two hour drive for me.
Unless we can actually have a connection to the Kankakee festival, let's do it in Pontiac to make it easier for the other two guys.

User avatar
zero1199
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu, Sep 06 2012, 10:13 PM

Re: Club Fly, 6/29/13

Postby zero1199 » Tue, Jun 18 2013, 11:40 PM

Jeepster wrote:
zero1199 wrote:It would be nice to see some of his big kite, and meet him too.


I saw some of his big kite on area51.


Thanks for the compliments guys.

I try to warn folks not to attend festivals or club flys where IKE members are present. A few years ago I went to the Pontiac festival and Big Mike forced a set of Rev handles in my hand. That was on a Saturday ... on the next Friday my first Rev arrived in the mail. Now my kite bag contains a dozen Revs. Then a couple of years after that, Mike put on a ROK building class in the bustling metropolis of Cabery, Illinois. Now the kite bag includes another dozen homemade Revs. BTW - I asked Ben Dantonio for permission before building them.

I tried to get away from the terrible influence of the IKE members by traveling to Texas to visit Barry Ogletree. Unfortunately someone must have called ahead because he introduced me to building foil kites. Between Barry and Tony
Killip, I've been buried in nylon in the basement for the last couple of years. James Patton even compounded the addiction by contributing a kite to build during a lull in the sewing. Speaking of James, there is a fellow who really has the kite building bug bad.




Watching Tony's DC fly at Kites Over Hoover Park got me to thinking about building a DC. Then I saw the pictures of your DCs with tails at Grand Haven ... that added to the desire. Now I've got a couple on the drawing board. The addiction just never seems to end!!!!

The bottom line is that if you want to stay out of poverty, stay away from IKE members ... they are nylon pushers. They'll hand you a loaner kite just to get you hooked. Then they'll teach you to sew your own, and you're really hooked. You need to run far, far away before it's too late.

We're 90% of the way to attending ... take pity on Paul, Mike and myself by picking Pontiac and we're there for sure!!!!!

Cheers,
Tom



I also have a DC on the drawing board, thinking about a 16ft or 18ft RWB.
This will happen soon. :twisted:

Image
Image

User avatar
Mike
Posts: 6675
Joined: Sun, Oct 29 2006, 05:03 PM
Location: Charleston, IL

Re: Club Fly, 6/29/13

Postby Mike » Thu, Jun 20 2013, 05:51 AM

Cool!

User avatar
prairierose
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue, Oct 31 2006, 02:03 PM
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Club Fly, 6/29/13

Postby prairierose » Thu, Jun 20 2013, 06:34 AM

Have we decided on a location for the Club Fly?


Return to “Club & Quick Flys”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests