Kiters to walk 60 miles for breast cancer

Talk about anything you want
KiteVoice

Kiters to walk 60 miles for breast cancer

Postby KiteVoice » Tue, Jun 18 2013, 10:14 PM

If you don't personally know Ann Vondriska and her lovely daughter, Elizabeth Gordon, you probably know of them. Elizabeth is a champion dual-line flyer (she won AKA nationals in the experienced class in 2011 and placed second in masters in 2012). Ann is well known as a kite festival announcer and is national chair of the AKA sport kites committee.

You might not know that Ann is also a breast cancer survivor and for the past couple of years has participated in the Susan G. Komen 3-Day, 60-mile walk to raise money for national research and large public health outreach programs, as well as local community and affiliate outreach programs.

Ann and Elizabeth have reached out to many in the kite community, whose email addresses they have, to invite support for their 2013 walks. In case they don't have your email address and you'd like to support either of them, below are links to their individual pages on the Komen 3-Day website. Each page has a button with which you can make an online donation, if you wish. Before I wrote this, I noticed that one other IKE-er had already donated!

I decided I needed a signature line, so I wrote this.

Mike

Re: Kiters to walk 60 miles for breast cancer

Postby Mike » Thu, Jun 20 2013, 06:15 AM

Ann and Elizabeth are both really wonderful people and I don't want to demean their efforts. However, the Komen foundation only donates around 15% of their income to research for the cure. The Breast Cancer Research Foundation donates around 90% of their money to research and might be a better place to donate money if research is what you'd like to support.

Return to “Not Kites”