Spamming reduced...

Check here to see what's been going on with the forum software
Mike

Spamming reduced...

Postby Mike » Fri, Dec 07 2012, 08:59 AM

I changed the registration process a little and that seems to have reduced our spammage considerably.
Please let me know if you hear of anyone having trouble registering for the forum.
thanks!

goestoeleven

Re: Spamming reduced...

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Dec 07 2012, 05:55 PM

Mike - Thanks for your admin work. Spamming was almost always invisible anyway, since you make it "magically" disappear (unless you were on vacation).

What's the new (changed) registration process, so we can explain it to anyone interested? I could fill out a fake ID to try it out . . . but then you'd block me as a spammer :jester:

I must be a spammer . . . this is my 900th post! I still have a ways to go to catch you guys . . .

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Dec 08 2012, 08:33 AM

You could fill out a fake ID and it wouldn't be caught. My system is super low-tech.
The spamming seems to be done both by bots and by real people who are paid pennies for their posts.

It's very important to me that real people who want to register be able to do so with the least number of hurdles. So I didn't want them to have to wait for me to send them an email to be approved, or a secret password printed on our business cards or facebook page. Both ideas I actually considered.

What I did in the end was actually very simple.
I removed the Captcha entry, those impossibly hard to read letters that you enter at many websites, since bots can read those even though I often can't.
I took out our other security question about entering a number, since bots can do that easily.
Now the only security is that I ask you to enter the 3 letters in the middle of our logo. The logo is at the top of the page, so I think people who want to register can easily do it. But Bots wont know how to interpret it or google it (they actually do google answers to strange questions). I'm hoping that the non-native speakers who earn pennies wont bother to take the time to scroll around and figure it out.
This hasn't eliminated the spammers, but it has cut the posts way down.

I have a few more things I can do, like block all registrations from Sri Lanka, where many of our spam posts come from. But I'm waiting to see how this goes first.

-----
As far as the high number of my posts, I'm afraid that it isn't accurate. I don't know if it's too high or too low though.
Your 900 posts are legitimate and impressive!
In the early days of the club, in the spirit of democracy, I made all 7 founders admins. That turned into a playground with people messing with everyones post counts and other hilarious hijinks. I'm not blaming anyone, I may have even started it :)

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Dec 08 2012, 11:18 AM

Thanks. You know, I didn't really have any idea that I'd start posting like crazy. It probably works out to 8-10 posts per week, on average (obviously some weeks are far more active than others). I post here far more than any other place on the web - I'm just not that active on FB, and I don't have a blog that I update. So, I have to have some outlet for my random ramblings . . . . plus sometimes it results in flying kites with other people . . . .

Off topic, but any thoughts on reaching out to some of the original members who have drifted away? There are some folks with pretty high post counts that we don't see posting around here all that often these days? The challenge is you don't want to email people with spam that didn't opt-in to get email, but maybe some of them can be enticed back out for a club fly again in the spring. We can talk about it sometime . . .

//hey look, another post!

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Sat, Dec 08 2012, 12:17 PM

Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, eggs and spam?
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Return to “IKE Forum News”