U-MAKE 2013

Questions and conversations related to sewing up a magnificent kite creation.
Jeepster

U-MAKE 2013

Postby Jeepster » Sun, Jun 17 2012, 10:51 AM

Those of you who enjoy making kites might want to put this on your calender for next spring. I attended last year's class and had a blast. Came away with a new kite bag, several inflatable dolphins and lots of good info. If you were at Grand Haven this year, you might have seen the pod of dolphins flying.

If you want some one-on-one info about the event, watch for Linda Larkey at either Kites Over Lake Michigan or the Davenport Festival. Don't know for sure if she's attending this year, but she was at both events last year.

UPPER MIDWEST AREA KITEMAKING EVENT

U-MAKE 2013 March 1-3rd
KITES AND KAMARADERIE

Registration is limited…make plans now. Enrollment will open mid November at www.U-MAKE.ORG

Visit us online to learn more about our projects and instructors!

(First weekend of March!) at the Taft Lorado Campus, Oregon, IL

Expected teachers and projects….

Simon Crafts—2011 AKA Grand National Champion—original single line kite

Barbara Meyer—AKA President, kite designs marketed worldwide—cellular

Also Donna Schenk—Charm Lindner—Linda Larkey and others…..

http://www.niu.edu/taft/ Located just outside the city of Oregon, Illinois, Named in honor of Lorado Taft, the 141-acre campus has become Northern Illinois University’s outdoor education and conference center.

Cost of retreat ($175) will include:

... Ability to enroll in up to 4 different classes (kit cost is extra)
... Dorm style lodging for Friday and Saturday night
... Family style meals from Friday evening to Sunday lunch
... Ability to concentrate on one new project or concept, or pick up literally thousands of new ideas and suggestions.
... Great way to network with people for the Midwest and further with the same interests—just different experiences and ideas!
... Ability to purchase tickets in the U-MAKE RAFFLE!

goestoeleven

Re: U-MAKE 2013

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Jun 17 2012, 11:28 PM

Looks good . . . . maybe someday I will actually sew something if I go to an event like this one. The town of Oregon, Illinois is a pretty nearby location for those of us in the Chicago area.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Mon, Jun 18 2012, 11:12 AM

I rememeber going to Laredo Taft on a school retreat. Now my kids are going there as they hit that age. It's a lot of fun. I remember making a candle and can holder in the craft shack.

The dining hall has a wall of picture windows that overlooks the rock river in the valley below and lots of trails connected to Lowden state park.

I'm hoping that I can free up a whole weekend. I have an idea for a Rok that I want to do.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

Shari

Postby Shari » Tue, Jun 19 2012, 10:21 AM

Mikey and I went on a school trip to Lorado Taft as well; we were in 5th grade maybe. From the looks of the website it has not changed very much. :) I want to go just because of that. I bet my mom still has my carrot shaped candle somewhere
Everything seems so much better when the sky is filled with beautiful colors.

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jun 19 2012, 10:49 AM

I did U-Make several years ago when it was run by Barb. It was a good time and I learned a lot from the classes and fellow sewers.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Oct 14 2012, 09:43 AM

This event is now also up on FB . . . looks like the Wisconsin Kiters are interested as well.

Here's a link

Thinking about going . . . although I don't need any more SLKs at the moment :oops:

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Sun, Oct 14 2012, 09:11 PM

goestoeleven wrote:This event is now also up on FB . . . looks like the Wisconsin Kiters are interested as well.

Here's a link

Thinking about going . . . although I don't need any more SLKs at the moment :oops:

YES... Several WKC member plan on attending.

Unfortunately, I'll be out-of-state. :-|
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Oct 15 2012, 12:24 PM

You can really learn a lot at a retreat like this. The lessons you learn can be applied to making sport kites too.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Mon, Oct 15 2012, 08:59 PM

I went back and reread the expected instructors. It is well worth the money just to see and hear Simon Crafts (repeated as champ kite maker this year) and Barbara Meyer. I just really don't think i can make the time for the whole weekend.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

Return to “Sewing”