Rok plans

Links to individual plans and discussion of the plans for all kinds of kites.
Chris

Rok plans

Postby Chris » Mon, Dec 25 2006, 07:29 PM

What plans are you using for the 5' rok? I saw the ones for a 6' one from Gary Ingvall, It dosen't matter that much, but I'd like to be on the same page :wink:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Mike

Re: Rok plans

Postby Mike » Mon, Dec 25 2006, 07:42 PM

I don't remember what Gary's are, but min are a 3-4-5, which means that the center rectangular area is 3 feet high and 4 feet wide and the over all kite is 5 feet tall.
I have a template for a triangle that is 1 foot high and 4 feet high. That is the top and bottom. I then draw a rectangle that is 3x4.
Not including your favorite seam and hem allowances.
Sew the triangles onto the rectangle and then I do a double fold hem on all the sides, incorporating the reinforcements.
The reinforcements are probably like Gary's.
I can give more details or we can meet at my house if we want do it as a group.

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Mon, Dec 25 2006, 10:33 PM

Count me in when the gathering happens!!! :up:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Dec 25 2006, 10:44 PM

maybe this friday? How many people are interested?
Here's a drawing I had made for myself that's on my hard drive. Not like something Draftnik would draw, but it gives the idea.
[albumimg]288[/albumimg]
Ignore the bridal part for now, I'll explain it later if wanted.

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Mon, Dec 25 2006, 10:49 PM

I do have a half a day on friday, would be able to be on the road around noonish. Just wondering if that would be too late to start out towards you, Mike?

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Chris

Postby Chris » Mon, Dec 25 2006, 10:58 PM

I won't know till later this week. Sat. or Sun. would work best for me.
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Dec 26 2006, 01:03 PM

Here's the link to Gary's 6' plans for reference.

http://members.cox.net/kiter/rok/rok6.htm

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Dec 26 2006, 01:14 PM

I'm going to start building a Rok today... sounds like 345 is what we should standardize on?

Can we do a quick discussion on a club theme or whatever color theme/appliqué thing we should so?

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Dec 26 2006, 09:28 PM

Well, Friday isn't gonna work for me either. It's gonna have to wait until next year.
If you guys want to do it on your own, you can use Gary's plans or I can post some step by steps that I did.

Chris

Postby Chris » Tue, Dec 26 2006, 09:50 PM

I say let's all make ours for now, and then we can set a date for a Rok party!! :bash: I've got materials on the way!! :bash:

We can make IKE themed Roks as a group. I like Mike's idea of making the main body on our own, and then we could do red and black for the triangles. :LogoRevAni:

-unknown

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Wed, Dec 27 2006, 11:40 PM

I agree with Chris, make our own now and have a IKE rok party later.

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Dec 28 2006, 08:28 AM

It's harder to match the red and black triangles with a design, basic black goes with everything :-D
If that's the design we're going with, post what color you're using for the main rectangle so I don't copy it.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Thu, Dec 28 2006, 07:29 PM

I agree... let's just all get creative and see what we come up with. I'm also making one for my daughter...

Mike, what's your typical parts list for a Rok? I want to get my spars and stuff on order ASAP...

Any further thoughts on a kite train?

Chris (aka Babbman)

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Dec 29 2006, 07:38 AM

let's see....
I frame it with a .2540" x 60 pultruded carbon spine and two .1960" x 48" carbon horizontals. No ferrules.

Vinyl end caps for the spars.

I use shoelaces to tie the rods together, although the last kite I made I used a piece of webbing with a hole in it. I'm of the school of putting the horizontals against the sail and the spine against the horizontal spar (that controversy will make sense to you later)

I have a yard each of black and white dacron that I've been using for a long time to cut out reinforcements for various kites. I use semi-circular patches on the corners. I trace around a large tomato can with a hot knife to cut out the circle. I can post a PDF of the pattern to trace or you can figure your own ala Gary. I use six 1 1/2" squares for the rest of the reinforcements.

I've used webbing for the spar pockets. For the bow-line, I just thread some line thru the webbing pocket. I'll post a photo if you need it.

A small 4 hole button for the tension adjuster. I bought a bag of misc buttons from wal-mart a long time ago.

Velcro for the bottom spine pocket. Remind me to post a photo of it when you get to that stage. It's been hard to find sew-on velcro (vs. glue on velcro) around here. You might want to order some from Steve. His is cheaper anyway.

I have lots of 100# kite line, so that's what I bridle it with.

have fun!

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Fri, Dec 29 2006, 08:55 AM

ok...

the rods I found at kitebuilder as well as the vinyl caps although they are slightly smaller than the rod diameter.

the amount of choices in all of this is daunting and I don't know how people who have no one to question can figure it all out...

on your line, when do you choose solid core dacron vs anything else?

On building... for the outside hem, leave a seam allowance and roll it over for the hem or cut to size and use a strip of ripstop folded over? Is this more than just a choice of border color or exactly that?

I think I pretty well understand the overall construction as Gary's plans are pretty comprehensive.

Webbing I found at Hobbylobby for .99/yard in both black and white. Sew on velcro I found at Walmart in .75".

I'm practicing my sewing by making bags for my bagless kites out of plain old canvas found at Hobby Lobby.

Now, some sewing questions:

Starting and stopping your stitches, what do you typically do?

Appliqué... this frightens me.... :rotfl I am planning on doing 2 Roks... one for me and one for my daughter. Mine will be a geometric design on a solid background for the most part and all straight sewing. Anything I need to be careful of? My daughters is going to be a replica of her favorite dolly... Miss Dolly to be exact, which will be more complicated but just blocks of color with some small details. One thing I don't have an advantage of is seeing some more complicated appliqué up close, can you post some pictures of yours?

And finally, how is a Rok for hauling up line laundry? Would a 5 footer handle it or should I consider something bigger or something else all together? One of next projects I want to do is a Catherine's wheel or 2 and some other line laundry.

Sorry for all the questions but what's a newbie to kite making to do?

Thanks

Chris (aka Babbman)

Chris

Postby Chris » Fri, Dec 29 2006, 03:30 PM

Hey folks! I just got my first order of stuff from kite studio. I bought the sample pack if 3/4 oz ripstop, and WOW, you get your moneys worth :shock: There must have been 25-30 yards worth of material!! As for color of my rok, I'm thinking more along the line of LOTS :mrblue: Any how, waiting for spars now. I am following spar recommendations from www.kitebuilder.com/techsheets/rokkaku.htm.

-unknown

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Dec 29 2006, 05:28 PM

I followed those guidelines for my 6' rok and had spars break several times. They make an impressive bang when they break!
The guidelines may work with 5' roks, but I'm quite happy with the carbon spars I mentioned earlier in my 5' roks.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Fri, Dec 29 2006, 05:33 PM

Mike wrote:I followed those guidelines for my 6' rok and had spars break several times. They make an impressive bang when they break!
The guidelines may work with 5' roks, but I'm quite happy with the carbon spars I mentioned earlier in my 5' roks.

I ordered my stuff today per Mikes Recommendations on the spars.

I am getting enough to make 2 - 5' Roks and another Circoflex.

Chris (aka Babbman)

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Dec 29 2006, 05:39 PM

Babbman:
(Draftnik, you should chime in with your opinions here too.)

Steve only used to sell hollow core dacron. Then he couldn't get any for a while. Now he has solid core. I'm not sure that solid core is a good thing for SLK kite line. It may be good for bridles if it stretches less.

I find the double hem easier to do than the sewing on the separate piece. If I sew on a strip, I do it for the contrasty look.

I backstitch on the beginning and end of each line of sewing. Then I just clip the threads.

I don't think photos of completed appliqué would help. You might be able to find a web site that shows step by step. There's more than one way to do it.

A 5' rok doesn't have a lot pull, but it can easily hold up a couple catherine wheels

I don't how much your daughter will enjoy a 5' rok since she won't be able to hold it. A non-sticked kite might be better. A pocket sled is pretty nifty and is what I hand out to kids in the park.

Ask all the questions you like!

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Dec 29 2006, 05:57 PM

The recommendation chart recommends this spar for 60" tall kite:
Epoxy Tube: FL370
ID: .298"
OD: .370"
Length: 54.5"
Weight: 68.6 Grams
$4.70

Note that it's not quite 60" tall, so you'll need two of them, plus a ferrel.

This is what I've used:
RLG254060
Graphite .2540 / 6.5 mm x 60
ID: .154"
OD: .253"
Grams: 37.49
Length: 60"
$6.25

cheaper, lighter weight, and don't need a ferrel which weakens and adds weight.

One caveat, I don't remember if I've flown the 5 footer staked down in 20+ winds. So I don't know if the carbon spine has been really stressed.

You'll have to ferrel the fiberglass horizontal spar that's recommended too.
I've had trouble bowing ferruled spars and having them break. Even when I've ferruled it in two places. I got tired of going thru spars experimenting, that's why I use the 48" carbon spar now.

That's just my experience.
Draftnik must have a ferruled horizontal spar in her big Rok. Maybe she can add some helpful info. Her kite was flying in some pretty gusty conditions at the last club fly.

Return to “Plans”