2nd Annual IKE Retreat! Sept 29-30

General conversation and discussion about the IKE Club.
makatakam

Re: 2nd Annual IKE Retreat! Sept 29-30

Postby makatakam » Sun, Sep 23 2012, 08:30 AM

Does anyone need someone to room with and split cost of lodging at the retreat? I am looking for a room for Saturday night.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Sun, Sep 23 2012, 12:57 PM

Anyone have decent experience on Duals? I'm looking to pick up some tricks from a stunter. My learning curve is now a straight line. Not many stunters to hook up with in the midwest.
Last edited by TMadz on Mon, Sep 24 2012, 01:57 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Sep 23 2012, 07:46 PM

I don't have good experience with duals, so I'm afraid I won't be much help.

Another question for everyone - to make a long story short, I bought a kite collection over the weekend from the widow of a kite flyer (her husband passed away three years ago). I will bring a bunch of mid and large size single line kites that I'd like to get in the air for a memorial fly. I want to take pictures and send them to the widow. I'll need some help - I only have a few ground stakes, no sand anchors for the beach, and not very many SLK line sets made up. Can people bring their stakes / sand anchors, and line sets (ideally 80-100lb and greater), and help me with the flight? Let me know if you have good anchors for the beach or can hold a line at some point - I'd like to have an idea of how many of the SLKs to bring & set up. Thanks.

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Sun, Sep 23 2012, 08:21 PM

goestoeleven wrote:Can people bring their stakes / sand anchors, and line sets (ideally 80-100lb and greater), and help me with the flight? Let me know if you have good anchors for the beach or can hold a line at some point - I'd like to have an idea of how many of the SLKs to bring & set up. Thanks.

I don't have any sand anchors but have a couple of heavy-duty tent stakes that I've never tried in beach sand. Don't know if they'll help. I have one reel of single-line flying line it's in the car right now and I don't remember its weight. I use it to fly a 7-foot Gomberg delta. I'll look later and report the line weight.

I'll be happy to help launch kites and hold a line if needed.

I'm planning to attend Saturday only.
I decided I needed a signature line, so I wrote this.

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Sun, Sep 23 2012, 08:23 PM

TMadz wrote:Anyone have decent experience on Duals? I'm looking to pick up some tricks from a stunter. My learning curve is not a straight line. Not many stunters to hook up with in the midwest.

I'm a dual flyer but relatively new at it. I haven't learned any tricks yet ... just starting to work on stalls. Afraid I won't be much help.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Sep 23 2012, 08:53 PM

KiteVoice wrote:I don't have any sand anchors but have a couple of heavy-duty tent stakes that I've never tried in beach sand. Don't know if they'll help. I have one reel of single-line flying line it's in the car right now and I don't remember its weight. I use it to fly a 7-foot Gomberg delta. I'll look later and report the line weight.

I'll be happy to help launch kites and hold a line if needed.

I'm planning to attend Saturday only.

Cool, thanks. I have four or five hoops of line, one GIANT tent stake (which I've used for my 19ft delta), and a couple screw-in dog stakes, but no other serious beach kite anchors. As part of the purchase I also picked up a lot of braided dacron kite line, but most of it is not on hoops and I haven't inventoried it to figure out what I can use for flying. There's a lot still on spools, but I don't want to open up brand new spools at this point.

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Sep 24 2012, 04:36 AM

goestoeleven wrote:... I want to take pictures and send them to the widow. I'll need some help - I only have a few ground stakes, no sand anchors for the beach, and not very many SLK line sets made up. Can people bring their stakes / sand anchors, and line sets (ideally 80-100lb and greater), and help me with the flight? Let me know if you have good anchors for the beach or can hold a line at some point - I'd like to have an idea of how many of the SLKs to bring & set up. Thanks.

I'll bring line and anchors

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Sep 24 2012, 08:02 AM

Re: slack line tricks.
There's a IKE fellow who used to be active in dualies who we don't see much anymore, maybe we can coax him back out. He was really good.
Also, there used to be an annual, free, dual line trick clinic in Indiana.
Both the kiter and the clinic are mentioned here: viewtopic.php?t=1258

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Sep 24 2012, 08:47 AM

Thanks for the anchors and lines.

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Mon, Sep 24 2012, 08:50 AM

Mike wrote:Also, there used to be an annual, free, dual line trick clinic in Indiana.
Both the kiter and the clinic are mentioned here: viewtopic.php?t=1258

Sorry to say that HKS discontinued the trick clinic in Muncie. It was last held in 2010. I went to that one and attendance was really light. Only one guy camped out and a handful of others made a day trip. The one guy who camped out was apparently a leader of the clinic ... a kite maker from Lebanon, Ind. (I think his name was Jason) who I hear has since moved out of state.

For those interested, scheduled HKS events are visible on the club's brand new website (created by yours truly), http://www.hoosierkite.org.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Mon, Sep 24 2012, 02:20 PM

goestoeleven wrote:Can people bring their stakes / sand anchors, and line sets (ideally 80-100lb and greater), and help me with the flight?

I have two large sand anchors. Also have some extra long fiberglass kite stakes (about 15-18in). They work great for some stronger kites. I've already tested them at the beach. I'll have a few more by then.

I also have(2) 250#-250', 50# and 80# line and hoops. I've been meaning to make some shorter lengths, so with some help I can cut them up for use.

Curious about what kind of SLK's you have for use with 80-100# line. I'm looking for specific types/designers, in case you might be interested in parting with some? PM me if you want. :-D

I'll be there on Sunday.

I'm just looking forward to flying with other people. Was just wondering if there might be some good fliers there to learn something new or fix something bad.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Sep 24 2012, 04:39 PM

Cool, sounds good, thanks. I'll bring a bunch of the SLK kites to paint the sky. I am really, really looking forward to this event as well.

On a side note, does anyone have a cordless drill with a big chuck (and extra batteries)? As part of the purchase, I received a line winder that's driven by a drill . . . but the driveshaft is larger than the chuck on my cordless drill. It holds 1000yd spools . . . . in case we want to go really high . . .

cadguy

Postby cadguy » Mon, Sep 24 2012, 05:58 PM

Just curious, how late on Sunday are people planning to stay? Noon, Mid afternoon, late afternoon....?
Myself, mid-afternoonish.

@ Steve, I'll have 5-7 spools of 100# dacron line, 2 screw-type dog stakes, maybe an old duffle bag for a sand anchor, Pop-up canopy...

5 DAYS to GO!!!

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Sep 24 2012, 07:17 PM

I'm planning to stay on Sunday . . . as long as the weather is good, and my son David is having fun. I'm hoping that's most of the day on Sunday - maybe a late afternoon departure. We probably won't get there until mid to late morning on Saturday. The earlier the better - so many offers of lines & stakes . . . means I will be spending lots of time getting SLKs up into the sky :up:

Of course . . . I do hope to get in some quad (and dual) time too.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Mon, Sep 24 2012, 07:21 PM

Steve, what shape is the shaft on the winder? If it's got sides, we could hook up some kind of adapter to wind it. You can buy keyless drill chuck replacements that fit 1/2" or larger, but pricey.

I'm planning on getting there bright and early and stay as late as I can since I only have one day.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Sep 24 2012, 07:53 PM

TMadz wrote:Steve, what shape is the shaft on the winder? If it's got sides, we could hook up some kind of adapter to wind it. You can buy keyless drill chuck replacements that fit 1/2" or larger, but pricey.

Well . . . I'm out of town, so I can't measure it or check the shape. IIRC, it was round but it might have some flat sides on the end of the shaft to receive a collar or the chuck. Sorry, the word is eluding me right now - bevel, chamfer, hmmm . . . .

It's probably not that important as it can't take the bigger line hoops that most people have for SLKs. There are six or seven spools that are specially made to attach to the winder, so those are the only ones I can use to reel in kites using the winder. I just thought it might be cool to give it a try.

Trigger

Postby Trigger » Mon, Sep 24 2012, 08:30 PM

I will be there early sunday for sure and will stay until evening if anyone else stays.

Saturday i am scheduled to work till 4. but am hoping to get out early and come down for awhile. do you guys have plans for the evening? dinner?

hopefully we can stay connected through facebook or the forum.

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Sep 24 2012, 09:12 PM

I'll be there both days, arriving in the morning on Saturday, and leaving the beach Sunday late afternoon at the earliest.

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Sep 24 2012, 09:16 PM

We will have dinner together on Saturday, the place to be decided while on the beach. Make sure you have someone's cell in case you need help finding us. PM me if you want mine.

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Mon, Sep 24 2012, 09:17 PM

FYI: A newbie Rev'r will be stopping by! His name is Bill (from Florida) visiting here in Milwaukee. He is an experienced Dual-line flyer who I first met today at Vets Park. He's looking forward to some quad-line tips!

If he gets there before I do... Please :welcome: him! ...I told him you were all really nice peeps! Don't make a liar out of me! ;)

Only 4 days and counting... till one "L" of a time! ...Anxious! :jester:
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Return to “Club Discussion”