Help

General conversation and discussion about the IKE Club.
eheadypspld

Help

Postby eheadypspld » Tue, Sep 11 2012, 11:59 AM

I am with a public library and I am looking to a kite flying program next summer to go along with our children's program. What I would like is some demonstrations on how to fly a kite and have the children make a kite decorated to show their favorite book. The theme for next summer's reading program is "Have Book will Travel". If you know anyone who can help my email is eheady02@hotmail.com. I am with the Prairie Skies Public Library District in Ashland and Pleasant Plains,which is located 20 miles west of Springfield,IL. Any help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated, as I can get a kite out of a tree. Thank you for your time. Liz Heady http://prairieskieslibrary.com

Darkspark

Re: Help

Postby Darkspark » Tue, Sep 11 2012, 01:01 PM

Would it be weekday or weekend activities? I would like to help with something like this but it would be hard to do on a weekday. It is a little bit of a drive. There are some places that sell kite making kits for kids. Or there is a few ways to put a kit together on your own. Maybe someone on here with a little more experience will chime in.

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Tue, Sep 11 2012, 02:52 PM

You might also try contacting Ed Grys, who is regional director of the American Kitefliers Association (AKA). Ed is located in Wisconsin but his region includes Illinois. You can reach him at ejgrys@gmail.com. He might know of AKA members who are close to you.
I decided I needed a signature line, so I wrote this.

eheadypspld

Summer reading program at a library

Postby eheadypspld » Wed, Feb 27 2013, 11:54 AM

I am with the Prairie Skies Public Library district in Ashland and Pleasant Plains, located 15 miles straight west of Springfield,IL. I am trying to find someone to do a program on making and flying kites as the theme is "Have Book Will Travel". CAN ANYONE HELP? The programs are Mondays starting June 10 to July 8 with a 10 A.M. program at Ashland and then a duplicate one at Pleasant Plains at 1 P.M. I think the kids would really enjoy it and kite flying is becoming a lost art. Thanks for any help My email is eheady02@hotmail.com and our website to see past programs and the great turn out we have is www.prairieskieslibrary.com. Thanks again.

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Feb 28 2013, 07:54 PM

Hi, don't think we're ignoring you, we just don't have any members that live near you. I know you contacted Ed Grys too. Let us know how it works out--if you find someone to help or not.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Feb 28 2013, 10:58 PM

Mike's right - most of our members live pretty far away, and weekdays are tough since most of us are not retired and we're at work at the suggested times.

As far as suggestions, one of the simplest, cheapest kites you can make is a sled kite. If you use white plastic (like from kitchen garbage bags), then the kids can use permanent markers to color the kites. An example of a plan is located here but you can search online for "sled kite plans" and you should get lots of links. The only things you will need in addition to the plastic are some thin wooden or plastic rods (long skewers without the ends or small diameter straight dowels), some tape, and some string. You can use fishing line, although kite line is better and less likely to get tangled up. Oh yeah, and one more thing - something to use for tails such as crepe streamers or some of the plastic tape you can get at a hardware store for marking stakes at a construction site. If you are going to make a lot of the kites, I'd probably cut out a piece of cardboard or poster board to serve as a template for drawing the outline of the kites onto the plastic before cutting. It's important that you keep the kite symmetrical, and a template helps.

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Fri, Mar 01 2013, 04:47 PM

I would love to help with something like this. But like Mike said, it is a bit of a haul. If you were closer I would volunteer. Hopefully Ed can help in some way.

Return to “Club Discussion”