A Proposal - Tethered Aviation and Tea

Invites, discussion and general information about IKE Club Fly events and quick flys.
catspaw00

A Proposal - Tethered Aviation and Tea

Postby catspaw00 » Wed, Aug 08 2012, 07:02 AM

Hey all,

Sorry for being all absent - between Bristol and work, I haven't had a weekend free for a while. But September is looking good (depending on finances, we're a maybe for the beach retreat), and my boyfriend, Randy, has been wanting to meet everybody. He suggested combining a steampunk "invasion" with a kite gathering, and thus was born the idea for Tethered Aviation and Tea (I told him about Jynx calling it "tethered aviation," and he has since gone on to use it exclusively *grin*).

Veteran's Park seems like a good place; Milwaukee has a largish steampunk group. Are any of you guys interested?

Also, I want to drag Randy down to Kankakee at some point this fall. He agreed to come to all "club gatherings" that I want to go to. :twisted: So let's make them ALL club flys! :up:

-Wendy

Jynx

Re: A Proposal - Tethered Aviation and Tea

Postby Jynx » Wed, Aug 08 2012, 12:45 PM

Wendy ~ Funny you bring this up...

A nice group of kiters (SL, DL, QL) of both Wisconsin Kiters Club (WKC) members and miscellaneous flyers were to meet at Veterans Park this Saturday until we found that the Milwaukee Water and Air Show would be performing at our lakefront. Not only would the crowds, traffic, and parking be a mess, but I'm sure the Air Show would not appreciate dodging some of the very large single-line kites!

We are presently looking into an alternate site for Saturday and hopefully we will still get together! At this time we're looking at Homestead Hollow Park located on Freistadt road between Germantown and Richfield (North side of Milwaukee). If interested in a little drive to meet-up with some new (and old) flyers... I'll keep you posted.

Normally Veterans Park is a great place to fly with very few scheduling problems (like this weekend).

In the future, it would be WINDerFULL to get a combined group (WKC, IKE, and who ever) together at Veterans Park and I'd be more than pleased to assist in anyway I can!
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

catspaw00

Postby catspaw00 » Wed, Aug 08 2012, 12:54 PM

That sounds GREAT - we're at Bristol both days this weekend, but I might have to sneak out to come up and see you guys (you wouldn't mind me kiting in corset, skirts, and piratey gear, would you?). :-D

The number one question, btw, was "Ooooh, can we have a kite battle? Airship versus giant squid?" :lol:

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Aug 08 2012, 03:13 PM

Jynx wrote:In the future, it would be WINDerFULL to get a combined group (WKC, IKE, and who ever) together at Veterans Park and I'd be more than pleased to assist in anyway I can!

Great idea!
Talk to your people about about a good date, and post back here.

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Wed, Aug 08 2012, 04:10 PM

Mike wrote:
Jynx wrote:In the future, it would be WINDerFULL to get a combined group (WKC, IKE, and who ever) together at Veterans Park and I'd be more than pleased to assist in anyway I can!

Great idea!
Talk to your people about about a good date, and post back here.

Definitely! :up: We'll discuss it this weekend and hopefully come-up with a date!

Also I'll be inviting peeps to join IKE and attending the IKE retreat! :-D
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

catspaw00

Postby catspaw00 » Tue, Aug 14 2012, 06:53 AM

I spent the weekend battling a nasty flu bug. Sorry I missed the Germantown fly. I'm sooo done with the :censored: health issues. :roll:

I'll coordinate with you all on the steampunk fly. Any weekends in late-September, early-October sound better than others?

-Wendy

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Aug 14 2012, 10:20 PM

So . . . between now and mid October . . . quite a few weekends are already festival weekends, but that doesn't mean you can't bring your steampunk to a festival . . .

There's Two Rivers fest Labor Day weekend (180GO!)
Motts (or Dekalb)the next weekend
Then a weekend without a festival (I think that's the 15th) - I'll be camping with the cub scouts, I think
The weekend after that is Quad Cities (180GO!)
The weekend after that is the IKE Retreat to the dunes

. . . then we are into October . . .

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Tue, Aug 14 2012, 11:31 PM

Geneva, Illinois on September 15th.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Wed, Aug 15 2012, 02:18 AM

...and...

August 24th-25th

Lincoln Balloon and Art Festival and (Kite) Fun-Fly
Logan County Airport
Lincoln, Illinois

Posted event on Facebook (I'll be attending along with several other WKC members)

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Aug 15 2012, 07:31 AM

Jynx wrote:...and...

August 24th-25th

Lincoln Balloon and Art Festival and (Kite) Fun-Fly
Logan County Airport
Lincoln, Illinois

Posted event on Facebook (I'll be attending along with several other WKC members)

Paging Jeff to the thread . . . time to update the festivals page ;)

And thanks Makatakam - I forgot about Geneva.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Oct 13 2012, 08:25 AM

Hey catspaw - we missed you at the retreat! We had lots of "tethered aviation" and a little tea and coffee (back at the hotel).

FYI, the Wisconsin Kiters are having a fly at Veterans Park on the 20th. It's on their Facebook club page in the events section. I can't make it (wife working, David's soccer, dentist appointment, first lego league, lessons, etc.). But maybe it's something you could attend.

Return to “Club & Quick Flys”