Killip Kite

Questions and conversations related to sewing up a magnificent kite creation.
Jeepster

Killip Kite

Postby Jeepster » Tue, Jul 03 2012, 09:21 PM

The large kites are great, but they take a lot of work to set up, watch and then take down. I find myself flying a mini-mock quite often because it's easy to set up and fly ... plus, it packs into such a small space that it's almost always in the Jeep. Thus, it became obvious that a kite somewhere between the 20 sq ft mini-mock and the 100 sq ft WK100 was needed. Tony Killip made me an offer that was impossible to refuse ... he offered to share the dimensions on one of his smaller commercial kites. The bottom panel on the kite turned out to be 52.5 sq ft ... just perfect!! Plus, he has developed his kites in the crazy mid-West winds and they fly great here!!!

Yes, you've seen this pattern before, but I wanted the challenge of sewing it on a smaller kite. Had to be more accurate in sewing the cross-color seams because there's not as much room to adjust for errors when assembling the piece parts. The drogues were made to match the kite, but are temporary until a proper set of tails can be made.

First Flt-14-S.jpg
First Flt-14-S.jpg (43.39 KiB) Viewed 1260 times

Just had to try out one of tails from the WK100 kite. It's a Gomberg 12" diameter by 60' long snake tail. Looks funny on this small of a kite, but the kite handled it well.

First Flt-31-S.jpg
First Flt-31-S.jpg (31.94 KiB) Viewed 1260 times

Cheers,
Tom

goestoeleven

Re: Killip Kite

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Jul 03 2012, 10:28 PM

:up: Tom, that is just an awesome looking kite! :up:

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jul 04 2012, 06:51 AM

It's beautiful! I like it with the drogues, I don't think it needs the tail.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Wed, Jul 04 2012, 11:13 AM

Ya know. I don't think it looks odd at all with the tube. I like the pattern. I imagine the difficulty of sewing the panels is a drawback to creating more panel design
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

Return to “Sewing”