Help for the Washington Academy in Belvidere, IL?

General conversation and discussion about the IKE Club.
Mike

Help for the Washington Academy in Belvidere, IL?

Postby Mike » Mon, Jul 02 2012, 06:00 AM

This came via our Facebook page. Anyone interested?

Hello! I am a first-grade teacher from Washington Academy in Belvidere. At the beginning of the year, our first-graders are going to be working on an engineering project called Catching the Wind. They will be designing sails and windmills. I am also putting together another project where the students design and try to fly their own kites. After this past year, I realize that most students typically think of the diamond-shaped kite design, so I am going to be showing them videos from some of the kite festivals around the world that I found on YouTube. I hope the students will find some inspiration from these videos.

What I am wondering is if you have any members in the Belvidere (or Cherry Valley / Rockford) area who would be willing to come out to demonstrate their impressive kite-flying skills and show us some unique kites. I'm planning on starting the project in the last week of August, so the time frame would be that week or the first week in September. We have a large, open field between our school and our central office that would be perfect for such an event.

My hope is that I can generate enough excitement with these kites that we can get a big group of kids and parents to attend the kite festival in Dekalb in September. My hope is to get some students interested in kite flying and have it become one of their lifelong hobbies. (I feel like it is going to be one of mine pretty soon...I'm so excited about this project!)

Please let me know if you can think of anyone in the area, or if you know of anyone who would be willing to make the trip out to Belvidere. I'd like to think I would be able to provide gas money for the trip out, but I need to run it by my principal when we return to school later this month.

goestoeleven

Re: Help for the Washington Academy in Belvidere, IL?

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Jul 02 2012, 08:27 AM

I'd love to let the kids see some different kites. Sounds like fun, but I'm not sure my work schedule will let me head out there during the week. If we can't get an IKEr out there, one suggestion is that they might have kitemaking at the Rockford festival, sponsored by a local business. My guess is that they'd have paper or plastic sled kites for the kids to make & decorate. She could check with ChicagoKite as I believe they sponsor that festival.

amanalli

Re: Help for the Washington Academy in Belvidere, IL?

Postby amanalli » Tue, Jul 03 2012, 04:16 PM

Thanks for posting my question here! :) I really think the kids would love seeing someone who can actually fly a kite well, as opposed to myself...crashing a kite very well. Ha ha. I will also follow the suggestion to check with ChicagoKite. Thanks so much!

Return to “Club Discussion”