Who's flying what this week - June 18 - Sunday 24th?

General conversation and discussion about the IKE Club.
goestoeleven

Who's flying what this week - June 18 - Sunday 24th?

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Jun 18 2012, 08:42 AM

Another week - and it looks HOT HOT HOT! Windy, but probably too hot for me to get out early in the week unless maybe after work. Maybe I'll get out later in the week. Anyone have plans to go flying?

There's a festival in Shawano on Saturday on the festivals calendar. I probably won't make it to that one.

TMadz

Re: Who's flying what this week - June 18 - Sunday 24th?

Postby TMadz » Mon, Jun 18 2012, 11:30 AM

My schedule has finally opened up and I'll be available a lot more on the weekend and some evenings as well. I got me a few SLK's recently and a sled for fathers day. I hope to try them out soon. I am starting to fill a full fledged kite bag, but it's getting expensive now.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Jun 18 2012, 11:35 AM

June's a busy month for 180GO!, but we'll be available for more club flies starting in July.
I look forward to seeing your new toys.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Jun 18 2012, 01:58 PM

Mike wrote:June's a busy month for 180GO!, but we'll be available for more club flies starting in July.
I look forward to seeing your new toys.

You guys going to Shawano?

I know you are going to Michigan City on the 30th (that's a topic for next week's thread). I plan to go to that one (unless the weather is going to be bad).

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Jun 18 2012, 04:59 PM

Yup. And I've learned it's pronounced "shawno", so I'm all set to sound like a local :)

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Mon, Jun 18 2012, 06:18 PM

I am open this weekend during the days. Just tell me where and when to be.

I'm going to try and make a day trip to Michigan City so I can finally see :Logo180GO!: in action.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

Stunter106

Postby Stunter106 » Mon, Jun 18 2012, 09:23 PM

Found a few hours to spend with my new powerfoil this evening. Had some good wind speeds. Used my GoPro and took a short video of some of my first fly time on this kite. I will post it if I can get it edited well enough. Didn't get the camera lined up just right. But the flying was amazing and fun. Got a good friend to come out with me again. He hasn't flown for about 8 years (when I got my first 2 line delta wing style). Got some time in on the old standby as well (an old "Aerobat" (my first 2 line kite)).

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Jun 18 2012, 10:18 PM

Good to hear someone got out today, and welcome aboard Stunter106.

I wanted to fly today, but I didn't think my daughter would appreciate me flying a rev on the field while her softball team was trying (and not succeeding :( ) to win their first playoff game of the year . . . .

Second game of the playoffs is Saturday morning, so that's out for me this weekend.

Stunter106

Postby Stunter106 » Mon, Jun 18 2012, 11:20 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqX00TJWnz8
Here is my first attempt at using video while flying today!

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Jun 19 2012, 10:02 PM

Finally got out this evening for a bit with a Rev EXP on 40 foot lines. Had a young kid - about nine years old - show up and say "cool kite" so I let him try it out for a while. Also had some fun working on my (still crappy) axels and other stuff until the sun went down.

illescasd

Postby illescasd » Tue, Jun 19 2012, 10:54 PM

[color=#0000FF]Hello everyone,

With the last few days of great wind in Chicagoland, I knew I had to get out. Work got in the way yesterday, so I was gunning for today. The dark side infected me & I got a vented Rev the same color/design as my regular Rev, (thanks Dave Z). Adventure Dog & I went to Black Hawk and had a complete blast for a few hours.
I can hover and land vertically, but I need some work on my upside down hovers. The best was when a mallard was flying by, & I launched straight up at him. I didn't think mallards could change directions so fast
:piratecap:

May the winds gods favor you,
David
[/color]
"Don't bend the spoon, bend the space around it,,,"

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Jun 19 2012, 11:02 PM

I'm confused. Black Hawk? Do you mean Red Hawk Park?

Ahh . . . careful with the Rev-habit. You might end up with a bag full of them if you're not careful :up:

Next time you go to Redhawk, ping me and I'll try to join if I'm free.

illescasd

Postby illescasd » Wed, Jun 20 2012, 10:18 AM

Yes, I checked with Adventure Dog. It is Red Hawk Park. Anyway, yesterday late afternoon was terrific, and no soccer games either. You're right, at this point I need to start being more selective on what gets added to the 'Air Force'. To date, I am thrilled with my selections.

David

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jun 20 2012, 04:22 PM

Be sure to post if you guys are flying Sunday. I'll be heading down from Shawano. If you're flying on my way (I'll be heading towards the 57 freeway eventually), maybe I'll stop by. I expect I'd hit the Chicago area around noonish.

illescasd

Postby illescasd » Wed, Jun 20 2012, 05:23 PM

Steve am flying now at hawk park. ;)

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Jun 20 2012, 06:19 PM

OK, I will call to see if you are still there. If so, see you shortly.

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Wed, Jun 20 2012, 07:43 PM

Dig the video, Makes my bones ache just watching. :-) How big is that kite again? Had a local kid out flying a fairly large power kite last weekend. Winds were over 20, And I got to watch a few good grass stain inducing slides. Been too hot the last couple days, but I plan on going out tomorrow after work for a bit. We will also be heading back from the Shawno fest on sunday. Perhaps we can stop with mike if someone is gonna be out flying. Depends on what other adventures Shari has for sunday also. Welcome to the club Stunter! :welcome:

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Jun 20 2012, 11:12 PM

Got out to fly with illescasd (David, and his Adventure Dog) at Red Hawk Park tonight including the solstice! Wind was pretty good, although a bit variable from "wow I wish I had an extra vent" to "wow I wish I had a Zen" but overall it was quite good. Not too hot with the sun going down and wind enough to switch between a full vent rev 1.5 with 4 wraps on 75ft lines to a full sail EXP on my 40ft lines.

Just talked to the wife about the weekend, and I have clearance to fly at noon on Sunday. At least at this point . . . she doesn't yet know that I am hoping to fly tomorrow after work, Friday after work, Saturday afternoon, and . . . Sunday afternoon. Actually, it's unlikely I will fly on Thursday and Friday, but I can always hope . . . .

Illescasd and I talked about meeting you guys in Oak Brook if you are coming down 294, but we're open to other locations. He suggested Montrose, but we both think that maybe you guys won't want to travel through the city given the many miles you have to cover between Shawano and downstate. Other possibilities outside of downtown include Busse Woods and Greene Valley, but those are a bit less convenient if you're on 294. The biggest downside to Oak Brook is the possibility of soccer games taking up the fields.

Let us know what you are thinking and maybe this impromtu club fly will happen!

Stunter106

Postby Stunter106 » Fri, Jun 22 2012, 11:42 AM

Darkspark wrote:Dig the video, Makes my bones ache just watching. :-) How big is that kite again? Had a local kid out flying a fairly large power kite last weekend. Winds were over 20, And I got to watch a few good grass stain inducing slides. Been too hot the last couple days, but I plan on going out tomorrow after work for a bit. We will also be heading back from the Shawno fest on sunday. Perhaps we can stop with mike if someone is gonna be out flying. Depends on what other adventures Shari has for sunday also. Welcome to the club Stunter! :welcome:

Only a 2m. But with the gusts it was a fun workout!

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Jun 23 2012, 06:08 PM

Sunday flying? I'm thinking the soccer fields in Oak Brook just off Jorie (since it's just off 294 and might work for 180Go coming from WI). Noon or 1 pm or something like that . . .

Return to “Club Discussion”