Looking for a good sled/

Discussion on anything related to Single Line Kites
TMadz

Looking for a good sled/

Postby TMadz » Sun, May 20 2012, 10:46 PM

Looking for a good sled or parafoil to start with, but keep using to lift laundry later on. :flex: Any suggestions or what do you use?
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

goestoeleven

Re: Looking for a good sled/

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, May 20 2012, 11:23 PM

I'm probably not the right guy to answer, because I only have one big kite - and that's a big 19ft delta. If you are going to make it to the Milwaukee kite fest memorial day weekend or Naperville on June 3rd, there will most likely be some big kite people there. I sat with the big kite guys most of the day Saturday and part of the day today at Grand Haven because I was flying the 19ft delta for most of the day Saturday (with a little rev flying thrown in for fun). A couple of them were using the Mega sled (I think from Premier) to lift line laundry, but the really big stuff was supported by big foils as the pilot kite.

BTW, if you think this habit is expensive for the small stunt kites / SLKs / revs, etc . . . . . . a lot of the really big showy line laundry is at least another multiple of 10 beyond what you've been paying for sport kites (although you can get many things for a lot less, especially if you are handy with a sewing machine).

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Mon, May 21 2012, 05:56 AM

If you want to build your own kite, there are numerous plans available. Check here for sleds, or here for foils. Of the foil plans, I'd recommend the Mini-Mock (built two), the Kevin Nichel's flow form, the Peter Lynn Pilot or the FF04a. I've listed the recommendations in order of difficulty to build ... the Mini-Mock is an excellent first time foil build.

If you want to buy one already made, then you might consider talking to Tony Killip ... see his website: OurKitesFly.com. Tony is a member of IKE, lives in central Illinois and builds some very beautiful foil kites. Pick your size, color and accessories ... he'll build to make you happy.

If you want an off the shelf kite, then Premier has some good sleds. HQ makes some good looking foils ... unfortunately, they take more wind than a home built FF04a does.

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, May 21 2012, 02:37 PM

Try contacting http://thekitesite.net
He's a club member.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Mon, May 21 2012, 04:07 PM

Mike wrote:Try contacting http://thekitesite.net
He's a club member.

Yep, forgot to highlight thekitesite if you're going to buy already built. Thanks for the nudge.

Actually, you might try to talk him out of a 75sqft Bull Dog kit that is still in the box!!!!

Cheers,
Tom

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, May 21 2012, 05:34 PM

Sounds like he's sewing as fast as i am - which is to say not at all.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Mon, May 21 2012, 05:35 PM

Jeepster wrote:If you want to build your own kite, there are numerous plans available. Check here for sleds, or here for foils. Of the foil plans, I'd recommend the Mini-Mock (built two), the Kevin Nichel's flow form, the Peter Lynn Pilot or the FF04a. I've listed the recommendations in order of difficulty to build ... the Mini-Mock is an excellent first time foil build.

If you want to buy one already made, then you might consider talking to Tony Killip ... see his website: OurKitesFly.com. Tony is a member of IKE, lives in central Illinois and builds some very beautiful foil kites. Pick your size, color and accessories ... he'll build to make you happy.

If you want an off the shelf kite, then Premier has some good sleds. HQ makes some good looking foils ... unfortunately, they take more wind than a home built FF04a does.

Thanks Tom. I don't think I'm going to have time to build one for a while. Short term goals are to learn to fly them and accumulate some line laundry. In the future I hope to learn how to design and build kites. My wife is a quilter and my mother-in-law has a sewing machine that costs as much as a small car (well, maybe a motorcycle. no kidding). I think that I may be able to get a little help when that time comes.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

Return to “Single Line Kites”