Looking for plans for kids kite making

If you don't know what category to put your topic in, put it here!
TMadz

Looking for plans for kids kite making

Postby TMadz » Wed, Apr 11 2012, 08:53 AM

I've gotten my wife to buy into my new kite obsession, but she's called in my marker for my kite purchases.

We are cub scout leaders and she wanted to do kite making for our cub scout den meeting. I've read on the festival posts that there is kite making for kids. Can anyone help point me in the right direction to get plans, lists of materials and instructions? We will have 13 boys ages 6-7 that have about an hour to make the kites. Our meeting is next Wednesday.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

goestoeleven

Re: Looking for plans for kids kite making

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Apr 12 2012, 11:39 AM

As a fellow cub scout leader I can relate. Last year we made kites one weekend and then flew them at our local festival a week or so later. I bought kite kits from intothewind with activity funds we get from the pack. However you might be out of time for next week. What you can do is Google kid sled kite plans. I would have a link but I am on my phone.

Edit: here's (i think) the kit my wife bought for the scouts last year (looks like they have improved it to include crayons, tails, and line). link here
Last edited by goestoeleven on Thu, Apr 12 2012, 01:57 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Anne

Postby Anne » Thu, Apr 12 2012, 01:37 PM

Hello,
The AKA (American Kite Association's) website has kite making plans that use low cost materials.

Anne

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Apr 12 2012, 03:21 PM

I"ve made kites with white kitchen trash bags, colored with markers, and framed with two vertical dowels.
I'm not at my computer right now, but when I am, I can hunt down the plans if you need them.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Apr 12 2012, 07:14 PM

Here's a template. Not the one I used, but you can scale the dimensions up as needed.

And here's another link to a site with instructions, plan, etc.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Thu, Apr 19 2012, 10:28 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I used one of the templates and cut out some blanks from garbage bags and used straws for the spines. They worked great and the more we loaded them up with stickers the more stable they proved to be. Flying in the park across the street with some nice wind made them fly very nicely actually. All of hte kids were excited to take home thier kites. One in the neighborhood actually was flying it as he walked home. Thanks for all the help again.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

Return to “General Discussion”