Frayed bridle damage

All about quad line kiting. If the dark side appeals to you, this is your place.
Elix

Frayed bridle damage

Postby Elix » Tue, Feb 28 2012, 10:23 AM

Well I got the old kite and chain out for a little bit in yesterday's decent winds and mild temps. As I was putting things together, I noticed some frayed line on my bridle right up against the leading edge. It looks like a combination of bridle contacting the kite in flight and the inevitable vibrations are causing slow wear and tear. The bridle hasn't broken yet, though I'm sure line strength has been reduced. Is there a method I can use to prolong the remaining life like a dab of super glue to reduce friction? Or would any attempt to intervene only degrade things more quickly?

And once the line snaps in a stiff gust and I have a fantabulous death spiral to terra firma, what are my options? Does Rev replace these things through some kind of honor system? Is there a kite shop that can make me another?

I'll try to get a picture of the damage in case that helps the discussion along.

Thanks as always
Chris
Chris

Mike

Re: Frayed bridle damage

Postby Mike » Tue, Feb 28 2012, 11:11 AM

The only time I've seen bridle damage is when the bridle runs into another kite's line. A photo would be helpful.

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Tue, Feb 28 2012, 11:24 AM

For the revs, bridals are cheap. $10 OR $12. I have broken a couple over the years. They are easy to replace. I always keep an extra in my kite bag. If it for another kite, I would take it off and duplicate it before it breaks. You can get bridal line from quite a few online kite stores.

Anne

Postby Anne » Tue, Feb 28 2012, 11:42 AM

Can you tell me what type of rev you need it for, and I can get you a price?

Elix

Postby Elix » Tue, Feb 28 2012, 01:49 PM

Went to take some photos and it's worse than I thought, 2 of the 3 attach points have damage. Here are photos from left to right, facing the front of the kite. First shot is undamaged, second and third have fraying.

This is a B series, full sail.

Chris

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Feb 28 2012, 02:11 PM

I haven't seen damage there before. Has anyone else?

Elix

Postby Elix » Tue, Feb 28 2012, 02:34 PM

I'm not sure what caused it. I always fly alone, and I'm not exactly rough on it. That's why I assumed kite vibration and rubbing, but the central attach point has nothing around to cause the damage.
Chris

cadguy

Postby cadguy » Tue, Feb 28 2012, 07:30 PM

Those worn locations seem a bit odd - even if the kite was flown roughly.
On a used B-series that I bought, the bridle loops at the wingtips were frayed from being flown on sand mostly. This suggestion is meant as a short term fix until you get some spare bridles and this is also just for the end-cap loops (verticals & wing-tips). I tied a short piece of old kite line (100# or stronger) into a loop just a bit longer than the loop on the bridle that you are "replacing", remove the original bridle loop from the end-cap, then larkshead the new "temporary" loop onto the bridle just below the knot for the original frayed loop. Then simply attach (larkshead) the new "temp" loop to the end-cap. Ta-da.

David

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Tue, Feb 28 2012, 08:15 PM

Four points:

1) Take pictures or draw a sketch of the assembly of the bridle ... two vertical pieces, one horizontal piece, the small center loop. Or, count on pulling out one of your other kites to compare to. You're certain to make a mistake otherwise.

2) The center loop is disposable ... only a few inches in length. The horizontal piece and one of the verticals are salvageable ... put them into your repair kit. The damaged vertical can be used to make extra center loops.

3) Looks like at some time you caught the leading edge on something sharp (or at least rough). Doing leading edge kisses ... leading edge against a lamp post ... maybe something stuck into the ground ... etc.

4) Don't cheat on the bridle ... replace it. If the bridle breaks when the wind is strong, the kite will spiral out of control. That's when the opportunity to break a rod is very high ... or take out the rest of the team you're flying with!!!

Cheers,
Tom

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Feb 28 2012, 09:04 PM

Elix, I've never seen anything like that, but I concur with Jeepster. I think about the only way that damage could happen was if you ran into something sharp or dragged across something sharp when sliding upside down. My first thought was a chain link fence, but that's mostly because I've run into one (or my son has) at a hill near where we live. I have an ancient Rev1 and the bridle shows wear and tear and a bit of loose threads, but nothing like what you have there. Plus the fact that it's uneven leads me to believe it's not just wear and tear.

Personally, I'd just buy a new bridle . . . . I'm not even finding much time to fly these days and I'd rather be flying than tying bridles. Plus you'll save on shipping when you order all that other stuff you "need" at the same time . . . . like bridle line :-D

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Tue, Feb 28 2012, 10:45 PM

Mike wrote:I haven't seen damage there before. Has anyone else?

Yes. I had to replace a vertical section on one of Lynn's kites just the other day. It was badly worn in the loop section. I keep several vertical and horizontal sections with my parts. It only takes a couple of minutes to replace a section. No need to replace all three unless they are all worn.
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

Anne

Postby Anne » Wed, Feb 29 2012, 08:16 PM

We have a new bridle for the kite in stock and if you were interested in it we could get it to you for $10 plus whatever small amount shipping would be. If you are interested, please give us a call at 815-953-8303.

Anne Stephenson
The Kite Site

Elix

Postby Elix » Mon, Mar 05 2012, 09:08 PM

Thank you for all the replies, especially the thoughts on possible causes because I wish to prevent this in the future. I'll have to be more mindful of contact my bridle might be making with other objects while the kite is in flight in the future. Anne, thank you for the quote, I'll be contacting you soon.
Chris

Return to “Quad Line Kites”