Steve...AKA Crash!

Tell us a little about yourself and let us welcome you to the forum.
stevebell

Steve...AKA Crash!

Postby stevebell » Tue, Dec 19 2006, 08:29 PM

Sorry I've been away for so long...looks like the SLKs are overtaking the Revs here! I meant to post my 'mini-bio' here a long time ago, but never got around to it. Here it is...

Like Denny, I am a member of the Kankakee Area StarGazers, the local astronomy club, and have been involved with visual astronomy and imaging off and on for 37 years. I have built or bought a number of telescopes ranging from 4" to 16" in diameter. My current obsession (besides kites) is digital astro-imaging using a CCD camera.

And yes, I too am a musician! I have a degree in music education, but have never taught. My major instrument is french horn and I have played with many orchestras in the Chicago area. My ambition 25 years ago was to play professionally, but after many hours of practice, lessons, and many auditions, I realized that I wasn't quite good enough to make it. I would still be playing, at least with the Kankakee Symphony, but my work schedule doesn't allow it...one of those hobbies I will take up again when I retire. <G> I also play a (very) little guitar and play with composing on my Ensoniq keyboard and computer.

To go along with my other hobbies, I enjoy working on my own web site. I am by no means proficient with all the fancy stuff, but I like to mess with HTML. (I use NoteTab) I used to do the StarGazers' web site until they outgrew my talents and time. You can see my pages at:

http://steve-bell.home.comcast.net/

My wife and I have been together for 24 years and we have three boys. Rob, our oldest at 24, is married and works for social security in Missouri. David, the middle child (22), is staying with his older brother while attending Missouri Southern. Some of you have met Matthew, our youngest. He is engaged to be married to Sara in August, '07. Oh yeah, and he flies a Rev!

Steve

Mike

Re: Steve...AKA Crash!

Postby Mike » Tue, Dec 19 2006, 09:56 PM

I enjoyed your 3-D star photos. Pretty cool.

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Wed, Dec 20 2006, 07:42 AM

Very interesting hobbies, Steve. It's nice to know the man at the end of the string. :)

Gotta question...do the StarGazers have any connections with NIU observatory? Would they/you be interested in NIU's observatory. We took a crack at getting the observatory opened last year for the overnighters at the DeKalb Fest. Time ran short to get it lined up. If there's interest I'll slate it for another attempt this year.

Looking at your equiptment, I'm thinking you might have more then the observatory does! So maybe this isn't an offer any experineced star gazers are interested in. Just thought I ask. If I tell the physics department at niu there's an element of an astronomy club interested in visiting the observatory they might cooperate. :wink:
TTFN,
Draftnik

stevebell

Postby stevebell » Wed, Dec 20 2006, 01:13 PM

Draftnik,

Donna Kubic was running the observatory there a few years ago. She came to visit Olivet to see the work I had done for them and was going to attempt some upgrades on her own at NIU. Judging by their web site, not much has been done, though.

If I manage to attend the Dekalb Fest this year, I could bring a scope or two along, and I'm sure Denny would, too, if he attends. I could also check to see if the observatory would be worth our time.

Steve

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Wed, Dec 20 2006, 02:57 PM

I think I'm cross eyed now! Geezz that's amazing stuff. Are there any eye exersises to refocus? :-)

One of our goals for next years festival is to get more college involvement and make it a 2 day festival. Keep us in mind Steve, cause I think you have something that could trigger a positive reaction for us.
TTFN,

Draftnik

stevebell

Postby stevebell » Wed, Dec 20 2006, 06:55 PM

I'm working on a way to view the 3D stuff without the headaches. (Remember 3D trading cards???)

Chris

Postby Chris » Wed, Dec 20 2006, 07:29 PM

That's really cool Steve! :shock:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Wed, Dec 20 2006, 09:03 PM

Very incredible stuff, Steve! :thanks:

i tuned into the stereoscopic pictures instantly... as i have many books of 3D stereoscopic stuff; it's second nature to me! i collect (and make) true 3D holograms. The ones that i have made are in true color using more than one laser. You'll have to stop over some time and see this stuff. One of the holograms (not one that i had made) is of a telescope looking at some planets. Half of the telescope projects out into the room... and you can look into it as if it were the real thing!
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Wed, Dec 20 2006, 10:42 PM

Steve, the "AKA Crash" will only be temporary till we get you out more this spring!!!! :-D :wink:

Then we will have you DAZZLING the crowds right besides us!! :twisted: 8)
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Return to “Introductions”