Anybody getting out there?

General conversation and discussion about the IKE Club.
goestoeleven

Anybody getting out there?

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Jan 23 2012, 02:27 PM

It's been awfully quiet (too quiet) on the forum recently. While some of you have been having fun in Florida at TI, I'm wondering if anybody else is getting out to fly up here in the frozen north. Here's my picture from yesterday . . . brrrr. I got in most of an hour in variable winds.

IMAG0187small.jpg
That's not sand!
IMAG0187small.jpg (104.69 KiB) Viewed 3104 times

Mike

Re: Anybody getting out there?

Postby Mike » Mon, Jan 23 2012, 03:26 PM

I haven't been out, I'm a wimp about the cold. :(

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Mon, Jan 23 2012, 08:45 PM

I am with Mike. Our shop isn't really heated and I spend all day in the cold. I have no desire to go out and get colder after that. Poor Shari has a new Xtra vent that has yet to be flown. We are also really busy at work this time of year, and that takes up alot of time. Rather have the busy time when it is crummy outside anyhow. Looking forward to spring and festival season.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Tue, Jan 24 2012, 12:04 PM

Me neither. TI was sorely needed, and I got a big flying fix. Now I'm hibernating again for a while. Possibly right until KPX.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Jan 24 2012, 04:57 PM

Well, if anyone wants to get together before KPX, I'm open to meeting up. I'm swamped with work, cub scouts, and my other (skiing) hobby over the next month or so, but since this is one way I relax, I'd try to make time for it. Next weekend may be tough - working on Saturday, Sunday have some cub scouts. Weekend of Feb 4-5 I'll be gone for skiing. After that I'm a bit more open if we wanted to try a club fly. We don't want to show up for KPX all rusty, do we?

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jan 24 2012, 05:03 PM

Well, 180GO! will be flying while standing on water in a few weeks (Color the Wind on the 18th)

In the past I've gone out flying if the wind chill was above 20º. But even though I'm less likely to do that now, I think we should consider a club fly in February. Let's watch the weather and see what happens.

illescasd

Postby illescasd » Tue, Jan 24 2012, 06:14 PM

Confession:
I've been sneaking in 1 hr or 2 whenever the weather & the wind gods permit. I'm game.

David
"Don't bend the spoon, bend the space around it,,,"

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Jan 28 2012, 08:38 PM

David, one of these days we are going to fly together . . .

My flying tends to be impromtu these days - lots of work, and the weather hasn't been the best lately. However, I did get in about an hour today - cold, but much nicer than last weekend.

Here's my crappy cell phone picture:

IMAG0190small.jpg
IMAG0190small.jpg (63.71 KiB) Viewed 3071 times

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Jan 28 2012, 10:07 PM

You ought to come down this way--no snow in Charleston. This is the mildest winter in my memory. Still too cold, but much warmer than usual.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Jan 29 2012, 01:08 AM

Yes, I should. I've just been too busy at work (and home) right now to get away for a whole day. Worked most of the day today (except for flying when I took my daughter to her lesson). Will be doing some more work tomorrow . . . next weekend doesn't work as I have other plans. 12th is most likely out for me. Weekend after that, you are in Clear Lake on the 18th. 25th/26th are a possibility. 3rd and 4th are likely out for me. Weekend of the 9th, well we know where we'll be then . . . .

Elix

Postby Elix » Mon, Jan 30 2012, 08:00 AM

Got my kite out yesterday in some blustery winds. Only flew in my front yard so I used 20 foot lines. After getting everything connected, I stood the kite up into the typical inverted pre-launch position, and my leading edge folded at a rod joint! :cry: I have no idea when it happened, either at my last flight, after months in my trunk, or somehow during yesterday's setup, but the interior 4-inch long coupling rod snapped in two.

I switched over to my 3 weight sticks and still got off the ground, but now I'm curious how to get that broken piece replaced. Anyone know if thekitesite would sell something little like that? They're my first choice of vendor at this point.

As far as removing the broken coupling rod, it's hollow, so I'm thinking I can find an appropriately sized screw and get it to bite half a thread's worth so I can pull the thing out. But the center stick most likely has glue holding the coupler in. Any advice from experience?
Chris

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Jan 30 2012, 08:44 AM

Wow, I've never heard of a ferrule breaking (that's what we call that coupling rod).
The ferrule may come out if you can knock the rod against something. The glue will sometimes come undone with a little shock.
If TheKiteSite can't help you get another part, let me know, I might have one floating around in my basement.

edit: are you sure the ferrule broke? Perhaps it came unglued and it has slipped inside one of the rods?

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Mon, Jan 30 2012, 09:10 AM

The broken, unglued piece should come out easily. Don't use a screw 'cuz that might expand the ferrule. An expanding ferrule will bind it in place, making extraction harder, and possibly damaging the rod. Use a wooden dowel that will fit in the open end to push the broken piece out.

As to the glued in portion: Don't try heat! Some will tell you that it works, but the possibility of damaging the rod is too high. Epoxy is weakened by heat and the carbon fiber is held in place with epoxy, so even if you get the ferrule out, you've compromised the integrity of the rod. Rich melted the end of one of his rods by applying heat. What I suggest is to remove the good ferrule first and then the damaged ferrule last:

1) Wrap a piece of masking tape (or duct tape) around the end of the good ferrule. Then throw the rod, like a spear, against a piece of wood that is placed on the floor. Epoxy doesn't like shock loading, thus this will eventually break the bond. Keep checking to see if it's loose ... you don't want to force the good ferrule into the rod.

2) Once the good ferrule is loose, pull it out.

3) Get a long dowel that will fit inside the rod and can be used to force the broken, glued-in-place, piece out. It will take some force ... again, shock force is best! Use a hammer ... or use a small piece of tape to hold the dowel in position and repeat the spear operation.

The Rev rods are slightly off from the typical SkyShark 1/4" diameter tubes, so the ferrules that work for SkyShark tubes won't work in the Rev rods. I've never broken any Rev ferrules, so haven't had to buy any. I'd start with a phone call to Dave in Chicago, 'cuz he's close to you ... or Big Mike, 'cuz he's also close to you. Then a phone call to Kent at A Wind of Change, 'cuz he's the biggest Rev dealer in the USA. Then lastly, a phone call to Rev ... Lolly might take pity on you and mail a new one or two for free!!!

When you're ready to replace the ferrules, check back for info on permanently installing new ferrules.

Cheers,
Tom

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Jan 30 2012, 10:04 AM

Interesting . . . I have a 2 wrap center with this problem. I think I'll give it a try. I figured the epoxy wouldn't come loose so I was going to have to buy a new center rod.

Elix

Postby Elix » Mon, Jan 30 2012, 01:28 PM

Mike wrote:are you sure the ferrule broke? Perhaps it came unglued and it has slipped inside one of the rods?

I suppose it's possible it slipped inside. In fact I'm so hopeful this is the case, I'm gonna walk out to my car and check. I've read the other responses as well. Some good information here thanks for the feedback and I hope I don't need it!

*fingers crossed*

**edit**

OK, yes it had just pushed in. I've got it out. Now I'm ready for the instructions on how to keep this from happening again. =)
Chris

Shari

Color the Wind - Clear Lake, IA

Postby Shari » Mon, Jan 30 2012, 02:21 PM

OK I have no idea how to start a new message thing on here. Regarding Clear Lake kite festival....Who is going and where are you staying. I just realized that it is what 3 weeks away and we are supposed to be going but have no idea what to plan.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Mon, Jan 30 2012, 02:51 PM

Elix wrote:... OK, yes it had just pushed in. I've got it out. Now I'm ready for the instructions on how to keep this from happening again. =)

Good question Mike ... yep, the ferrule is stronger than the rod, so being pushed in was/is the most likely problem.

Check the rest of the ferrules on your various kites ... especially before packing them up and flying across the continent to attend a festival somewhere else. It's not an uncommon occurrence for the ferrules to loosen. Last year at Kite Party Laura brought out her new ZEN kite on a really light wind day. The ferrule had been pushed in and she didn't get to fly that kite ... plane tickets, hotel tickets, food ... and no flying an important kite ... bummer!!!

I use a bronze bore brush to clean the inner diameter of the rod. You can use a rag or what not. The important thing is to use alcohol to clean off any left over release agent from the manufacturing process. Then scrape off all the remaining epoxy and lightly sand the half of the ferrule that is going to be inserted into the rod. Do your final cleaning with some alcohol.

Cut a piece of dowel/cardboard/etc the exact length of the amount of ferrule that will be sticking out when glued in place. Now mix up a batch of either 30 minute (my favorite) or 5 minute epoxy. Use a small stick to lightly coat the inner diameter of the rod. Then half the ferrule - stop coating about a quarter inch short of the middle of the ferrule. Insert the ferrule while slowly turning it ... this will spread the epoxy around and ensure a good joint. Stop inserting the dowel about a quarter inch from the final position. Use a paper towel and alcohol to clean off the built up epoxy at the joint. Now push the ferrule to the final depth using the measurement piece to determine that position. Tape the ferrule in position. Repeat for the other ferrule. You might come back after an hour or so and scrape off any epoxy that has excaped from the joint ... it's still soft enough at this point to clean it up easily.

When you push the final ferrule into position you'll build up some pressure in the rod. If you haven't taped either end, you'll see it slowly moving out of the rod.

I know that this process seems a little OCD. But, I've glued in several dozen ferrules this way, and have yet to have one loosen. That's compared to three ferrules from the REV factory that have loosened on me.

Good luck,
Tom

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Jan 30 2012, 03:21 PM

On the other hand, if you're lazy, like me...
I put a piece of tape or draw a line on ferrule at the half way point so I know how far to push it in. Then I put some super glue on the ferrule and shove it in with a little twist. The glue will set very quickly, so don't hesitate, just shove it in there.

I haven't had ferrules come unglued very often, and I can't say for sure if my super-glued ferrules ever came undone again. Jeepster's method sounds very robust and long-lasting. My way is easy and probably works for the long haul. I also carry a cheap unopened tube of super glue in my kite bag. I've only used it once, and it was on someone else's kite.

If you get a ferrule stuck in your spar out in the field, I find holding one end and rapidly swinging the other end of the rod down usually slides the ferrule out enough to get a grip on it to remove it.

Return to “Club Discussion”