YouTube slow

Links to videos of anything kite related.
Mike

Re: YouTube slow

Postby Mike » Wed, Jan 11 2012, 08:14 PM

I'm not very familiar with the Magic Jack. Does it plug into a phone line, or your computer, or your router?
You said you have a cable modem. Just to be sure: A cable modem connects to a fat black video type cable, a DSL modem connects to a phone line cable.

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Wed, Jan 11 2012, 09:19 PM

We have internet over the TV cable service here at Laguna Woods. In order to connect to the internet, they supply a modem. The cable hooks to the modem, the modem connects to your computer via a cable or a WIFI modem. Since it was quite a run, with two sliding glass doors, to where we had our desktop, we chose to use WIFI. We have since stopped using the desktop, but each have a laptop which we can network along with our wireless printer using the WIFI. Works great for us, no wires running around etc. We installed this system five or six years ago, and it has been very nice. We also have a 12v WIFI router (which uses our air card for internet access) in the trailer with which we do the same networking.

The small Magic Jack device plugs into a USB port on my laptop. A phone is plugged into the Magic Jack rather than into the wall. The Magic Jack has it's own software and connects to the internet via my laptop/WIFI router/cable router. When in the trailer on the road the Magic Jack connects to the internet via my laptop/portable WIFI router with the air card attached.

Here's the fun part......

When we are at our home in Walnut Grove, we use the air card and a laptop for internet service, with or without the portable WIFI router, but rather than plug a phone into the Magic Jack, we use a phone cord from the Magic Jack to a wall phone jack. Now, all of the phones at the house, including the one on the garage, work through the Magic Jack, just like they would through a land line.

We already have the air card for access on the road, and cable at the condo. The two land lines were costing over $1,000 per year. The Magic Jack is $29.95 per year (69.95 for five years) with unlimited calls anytime throughout the US. We use our cell phone as our primary phone anyway, but the plan we have has limited week day minutes, so we use the Magic Jack for outgoing calls during weekdays.

Fun stuff, and it saves over $1,000 of after tax money each year. Hello AT&T! Good by land lines. We're seldom home to answer them anyway.
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Jan 11 2012, 10:42 PM

Here's an idea - if you haven't already, you should try the speed test with and without the Magic Jack attached to the PC. It sounds like it's eating a piece of your bandwidth just to maintain the connection to their servers and provide you with an instant-on dial tone. Their servers have to have a way to "find" your phone when someone calls your number - and I'm guessing it is sending your IP address to the servers. It would have to do that in case your IP address changed with your ISP (unlike businesses which tend to have dedicated IP addresses, ISPs will reassign your IP address if you lose your connection or you power off your cable modem, etc.). I wouldn't think it should take significant bandwidth to maintain the connection to the Magic Jack servers, but maybe it does constantly broadcast & receive. I don't know enough about voice over IP (VOIP) to really know what's required to maintain the connections. That said, I do know that one of our business offices opted to take half of their dedicated internet connection bandwidth and split it out for telecom (i.e. inbound and outbound phone lines). The internet connection in that office is much slower than my home connection or our other office. Maybe Magic Jack has the same impact on any internet connection.

On second thought - run the test with Magic Jack plugged in - first when you are not on a call, and then again when someone is using the phone. I bet you lose some of your speed just to the phone conversation. Plus, the laptop running the Magic Jack is going to be dedicating some resources (my guess, processor and network card) to handle the traffic of sending the packets of data (your phone conversation) over the internet. Maybe since Flash is a resource hog, this is enough to slow down the YouTube videos that are still requiring Flash on your laptop. I'm betting you only use the phone when you're watching YouTube :-D

Sounds like you save quite a bit of money by getting rid of the land lines. I have been thinking about it for some time, but I don't like the thought of losing a lot of bandwidth, so Magic Jack might be off the list of possible solutions. We get our land line from Comcast, and it does not seem to slow down our internet speed at all, whether we are using the phone or not. I can still videoconference with no problems from home even if someone is using the land line at the same time. I was thinking about an Ooma box, which is similar to Magic Jack, but does not require a PC to work. It's basically another box like a router or cable modem that you plug into your router and then into your phone lines. The advantage it has is that once you buy the box, you never pay a monthly fee again (as far as I'm aware).

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Thu, Jan 12 2012, 12:03 AM

I have Ooma, and I really like it.

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Jan 12 2012, 08:10 AM

We dumped our land line many years ago. But I guess we don't use the phone very much. Even with lowest family plan minutes on our cell phone, we never come close to using our minutes up.

Jim,
Magic Jack also makes a device with it's own processor that doesn't need to be plugged into a computer. You might want to check with their support to see if that might help your situation.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Jan 12 2012, 08:13 AM

Jeff wrote:I have Ooma, and I really like it.

Hey - aren't you supposed to be leaving for a festival? :-)

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Thu, Jan 12 2012, 09:52 AM

goestoeleven wrote:
Hey - aren't you supposed to be leaving for a festival? :-)

Tomorrow morning...is it Friday yet?

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Thu, Jan 12 2012, 12:11 PM

Mike wrote:We dumped our land line many years ago. But I guess we don't use the phone very much. Even with lowest family plan minutes on our cell phone, we never come close to using our minutes up.

Jim,
Magic Jack also makes a device with it's own processor that doesn't need to be plugged into a computer. You might want to check with their support to see if that might help your situation.

Yes, we've seen the new Magic Jack. It plugs directly into your router, bypassing the need for a computer. Great for a home application where you just run a line from the Magic Jack to the wall and "light up" all of the home phones. Downside, no screen display of your contact numbers, or calls made in or out. On the road, we sometimes just set up one laptop without the WIFI router and just plug the magic Jack into the laptop.

Forgot to mention a fun feature of Magic Jack. If you don't answer, or are on the road and not hooked up, the incoming calls go to a message setup, just like your cell phone, except that Magic Jack sends the caller's message to you as an attachment to an e-mail. When you do get set up, and collect your mail, the message is right there, No need to check the phone for messages. More fun stuff.
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Thu, Jan 12 2012, 12:43 PM

Jim Foster wrote:
Forgot to mention a fun feature of Magic Jack. If you don't answer, or are on the road and not hooked up, the incoming calls go to a message setup, just like your cell phone, except that Magic Jack sends the caller's message to you as an attachment to an e-mail. When you do get set up, and collect your mail, the message is right there, No need to check the phone for messages. More fun stuff.

Yeah, those features are really nice on some of these VOIP services. With Ooma, we get the voice mail forwarded to our email accounts, plus some nice "spam" filtering and blacklist options, web access to voice mail and call logs, cell phone forwarding if the internet goes down, or forwarding on demand, a second line and call screening on the Ooma box in the house. Good stuff.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Return to “Videos”