YouTube slow

Links to videos of anything kite related.
Jim Foster

YouTube slow

Postby Jim Foster » Sun, Jan 08 2012, 07:59 PM

For several months YouTube videos have been very slow. Other video sites download just fine. I can watch streaming video on Hulu in the highest definition. I have the latest flash player and the latest version of Firefox. The YouTube videos don't want to start, and when they do, they will download a short time and stop. Hitting "refresh" will sometimes get them started again, but they seldom download to completion.

I went to the YouTube forum, and others seem to have the same problem.

How about you?
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

Mike

Re: YouTube slow

Postby Mike » Sun, Jan 08 2012, 08:05 PM

I don't have any problems.
What machine are you using? PC or Mac?
Try downloading and installing Google's Chrome browser and see if that works for you.

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Sun, Jan 08 2012, 08:21 PM

Toshiba Satellite A505 64 bit, Firefox 9.0.1 Adobe Flash Player 11.1.102.55

Cable internet with our WIFI we have had for several years.

Current download speed 3.35 Mbps

I'll try Google Chrome.

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Sun, Jan 08 2012, 08:37 PM

I've had Google Chrome on this machine but never used it before. I gave it a try and got the same result I get with Firefox or Internet Explorer.

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Jan 08 2012, 09:05 PM

I suggested Chrome because it has Flash built in, rather than a plug-in like the other browsers.

Your specs seem fine, and the fact that Hulu works is interesting.
If the rest of your computing seems relatively speedy, it's probably not a memory problem (hard disk space and free ram are both needed here).

If you haven't already, do the standard fix for all things computing: shut down the computer completely, then power it back on again.
You could also try booting into safe mode, but I don't remember the steps--it's been a few years since I've played with a PC (I've gone over to the dark side in computing as well as kiting).

Jeff may have some ideas...

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Sun, Jan 08 2012, 09:17 PM

The strange thing is that it is only YouTube. Every other video site I have tried works just fine.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sun, Jan 08 2012, 09:31 PM

Actually, I've had the same problem at times, but haven't spent the time to try and figure it out. If I watch a HD YouTube video, it won't download fast enough to play without running out of buffer. I can do HD Netflix with no problem.

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Sun, Jan 08 2012, 09:39 PM

I am trying at a low resolution, not HD.

I know that an ISP can "Throttle Down" selected web sites, so I gave them a call and they assured me that they do not do that for YouTube or any other site.

Very strange indeed.

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Jan 09 2012, 01:42 AM

Have you tried forcing YouTube to use HTML 5 rather than flash? Google should be able to tell you how to do it on a Windows machine.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Jan 09 2012, 09:59 AM

Jim -

Do you have a laptop? And/or do you have another machine at home? I'd test with a second machine from the same place, and/or if you have a laptop, you can test from another location to rule out the network as a problem. I suspect there's something on your machine that's the issue. Like Mike, I don't have any problems streaming from YouTube (or any other video sites).

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Mon, Jan 09 2012, 11:51 AM

I have tried with Lynn's laptop. It is exactly like mine, set up exactly the same, on the same network, same result. I have an air card, but cell service here at the condo is not the best. Next time out I will take my laptop and try the air card.

Last evening I watched three Rick Steves travel shows on hulu using 480 definition, no problem.

Mike may be right, perhaps it is something to do with my flash player.

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Jan 09 2012, 04:06 PM

Here's the HTML 5 info for youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/html5

Briefly, HTML 5 is a newish web standard that include the ability to show video without Flash. Let us know if it works.

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Mon, Jan 09 2012, 07:54 PM

Mike wrote:Here's the HTML 5 info for youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/html5

Briefly, HTML 5 is a newish web standard that include the ability to show video without Flash. Let us know if it works.

Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you.

On one longer video the download stopped and I refreshed and it loaded the rest of the way. That's one out of the six I have tried so far. Two other videos were not html5 compatible and went to Adobe Flash.

Lynn is also now using html5.

Thanks again, Jim

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jan 10 2012, 08:52 AM

Glad it's working. I've never been a fan of Flash. It's hard to program and uses lots of your computer's resources to do it's thing.

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Tue, Jan 10 2012, 09:25 PM

I'm still having the same problem from time to time. Not as bad as it was, and it seems to be only YouTube. I spent some time going to auto racing, RC boat and aircraft video sites as well as myspace videos, with no problem whatsoever.

I posted on the Rev forum as well as GWTW. Several others have been having the same problem, some for about a year.

I check my speed often, and my download is most always over 3 kbps, usually around 3.5 kbps. It's plenty fast for hulu.

There must be something strange with YouTube. Perhaps they are too busy much of the time?

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jan 11 2012, 12:20 PM

I don't watch a lot of YouTube, but I haven't had any problems. I just checked my download speed and it's 11 Mbps. (I'm assuming that you meant 3 Mbps not kbps). When you get the opportunity, try watching somewhere where you have a faster download speed. Maybe youtube doesn't handle slower internet as well as hulu.

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Wed, Jan 11 2012, 03:36 PM

Yes, Mbps. Current reading is 3.57.

That may well be the problem. The next time we are somewhere with faster service I'll do some speed checks and try You Tube.

We have an air card, but the cell service here at the condo is not very good. I'll try the card somewhere else as well.

Thanks for the help.

See you at KP

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Wed, Jan 11 2012, 04:25 PM

Just to give it a try I hooked up the AT&T air card. Only one bar of service. Connected to the internet quickly, speed test shows 2.65 Mbps. Went to YouTube and tried several videos ranging from 1 min yo 8mins. No stoppage at all. Videos downloaded and played in 360p or 480p just fine.

I Hooked back up to our ISP through Our cable and WIFI and placed the cursor in a YouTube video and right clicked which gave me the option to "Take speed test". It showed that I my average download was 1.68 Mbps. Why does my "Speakeasy" and other speed tests always show over 3 Mbps and YouTube show 1,68? If it was my WIFI router would not the Speakeasy and others show about what YouTube shows?

When I talked to the tech at our ISP the other day he said that the service we are paying for is 3 MBPS, which is what the speed tests indicate. He also said that they do not "Throttle Down" YouTube or any other site. I now have to wonder about that,

This is a puzzlement. I hate puzzlement.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Wed, Jan 11 2012, 05:06 PM

I don't think it's you. There's a lot of things that can slow you down, and it's hard to get a handle on where the problem is.

Your raw speed is fine. But this one source is bottlenecking for some reason. YouTube runs off distributed servers, so you may connect to different ones that are under different loads with AT&T vs. your ISP. Or the connection that your ISP uses is particularly swamped with YouTube sessions, and the server is struggling to deliver all the data demanded of it.

When you run a speed test, you do that by transferring data to and from a server while recording how long it takes. The performance of that connection depends on the latency of the connection, the load on that server, the route you get to that server, the ISP conditions at the time...There's no perfect speedometer for what your transfer rate is...it can be different to different places.

The constant in all of this is your home router. Its conditions aren't changing. Besides, even a poor wifi connection will probably give you a better transfer rate than your ISP is supplying at its best. The ISP is the slowest link in that chain. Wifi will get you a theoretical 11 Mbps (802.11b) or 54 Mbps (802.11g) or even more with 802.11n. Even at a more realistic rate of half of the spec, it's still going faster than your ISP is bringing the data in. (Unless you've got some weird interference going on, but you have tests that are maxing out your ISP rate.)

The tech said they don't throttle YouTube traffic, but I don't know how much I trust them. They still might. Or it could be an unintentional throttling based on how much their users are using YouTube.

I'm not quite sure of why my own connection with YouTube gets slow. I also use Netflix, and that service runs under huge demand, and we never have any problems with it.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Wed, Jan 11 2012, 07:09 PM

Guess what folks.........

This afternoon when I was trying the air card, I moved my laptop to the patio in hopes of a better cell connection. In doing so, I unplugged the power cord, and our Magic Jack. We got the magic Jack a year ago when we gave up our land lines both here at the condo and at our home in Walnut Grove, CA.
On the patio I had three bars on the air card, moved back to the living room and had only one, but still got good video download. I've been using our WIFI router and cable router with the power plugged back in, but without the Magic Jack and have been downloading video after video after video with only an occasional stop needing a refresh. I plugged the Magic Jack back in, and it was back to the same old thing. I am now running without the Magic Jack and videos are running great.

What is the Magic Jack using that slows down the downloads? Mind you, this is without making a call on the Magic Jack.

I do know that Magic Jack stays connected, as that is where the contacts are housed, not on the users computer.

I will keep using YouTube with the Magic Jack disconnected and keep giving reports.

I sure appreciate everyone's efforts.

When things don't work, it bugs me.

Return to “Videos”