Handles

Talk about kite accessories. Bags, Spars, etc.
denverberry

Handles

Postby denverberry » Sun, Dec 17 2006, 02:42 AM

Is there any reason why I couldn't use the handles I got with my SLE for a SUL? I know they're not the same, but just how much different do they REALLY feel? If I don't NEED to up the extra cash just for something that won't feel all that much different, I can't justify spending the, um... well, extra.

I'm already going to be making up the 120 linesets so if I really don't need the SUL handles I'll just get the kite and spool of #90.

If those of you who have the SUL tell me that I'm going to need the handles I'll take your word for it, and have to put off the 120's for a yet a while longer.
Denver Berry
Truck Driver
Oak Ridge, TN

denverberry

Re: Handles

Postby denverberry » Sun, Dec 17 2006, 02:55 AM

I know REV says on their site that they are "feather-light graphite" handles, but would there be a problem with over-controling with the SLE handles? :revspin:
Denver Berry

Truck Driver

Oak Ridge, TN

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Dec 17 2006, 09:43 AM

you can use the handles you already have. I use the handles that came with my blast(!) for most all my kiteflying.

Chris

Postby Chris » Sun, Dec 17 2006, 11:21 AM

The handles you have are fine. The SUL handles are two inches longer, which I prefer. Try out someone else's and see what you think.
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

denverberry

Postby denverberry » Sun, Dec 17 2006, 02:18 PM

That works for me... If the SUL handles are 2" longer that'd give me a more stable control using my SLE handles. Less over control. That sound about right?

2" sounds like quite a bit more on the control though :oops: but I guess that would be needed with 15' lineset.

I'll be very eager to get the feel for the different handles, I've even thought about trying my Beamer handles with the SLE just to see what it feels like, they are a longer handle, but they weigh a ton.
Denver Berry

Truck Driver

Oak Ridge, TN

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Dec 17 2006, 09:05 PM

Longer handles actually are less stable than shorter handles. Longer handles exagerate your wrist movements and so it makes it easier to over-control, which can lead to "bowties", especially when going in reverse.
What you gain with long hanldes is a quicker braking action and so it can make your moves snappier looking.
The trend seems to be towards longer handles, but among the top fliers I've seen, it varies. It seems that folks who have been flying for a long time tend to stay with the shorter handles, probably because that's what they are used to. It also depends on flying style.

Oh yeah, long handles make doing flic-flacs pretty easy, and probably help with axels too. I wonder what the new Rev will ship with....

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sun, Dec 17 2006, 09:28 PM

I also use my Blast handles for almost all my flying. I may go back to my short handles for my shockwave though as I have experienced extreme over-control when using the longer handles.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Ian Rev Addict

Postby Ian Rev Addict » Sun, Feb 11 2007, 10:52 PM

Hi Mike & Babbman,

Make that three who use Blast handles, but I have added extended pigtails to mine so I can adjust the line lengths.
I use these extended handles for my 1.5 SUL, SLE, Vented, Rev1, Supersonic, and of cause my Blast, they also look cool too with the carbon wrap but having the ability to adjust removes the over control problem.
To make these pigtails you will need four pieces of #100 bridal line, 24 inches long, fold them in half and Larks head them
on to the loops on your handles. Then make an overhand knot at the end of each and another 2, 3 or 4 knots at
approx 1 inch intervals. It is important that you make each pigtail the same length as the others with each knot tied
in the same place too otherwise it will be like flying with odd length lines.
I hope this helps. :up:

:revspin: Blue Skies......Clean Winds :revspin:
Ian

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Feb 12 2007, 07:01 AM

Hi Ian,
I've been selling the other guys on the advantages of pigtails too.
The new Rev Series B, actually comes with handles with pigtails. Finally!

That's a nice collection of Rev you've got. Have you ever tried longer extended handles? Makes doing flic-flacs with the supersonic a lot of fun.

Return to “Accessories”