Who's flying this week? Oct 3rd-9th, 2011

Invites, discussion and general information about IKE Club Fly events and quick flys.
goestoeleven

Who's flying this week? Oct 3rd-9th, 2011

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Oct 02 2011, 06:45 PM

Hello IKE people . . . time for another of the weekly threads. I may drop back to monthlies after the retreat . . .

The weather looks good this week - sunny & dry. Hope we get some wind. I think there's a festival in Keokuk on the calendar on Saturday, although that's too far for me. 180Go went last year, but I don't know about this year.

I have no plans to fly yet this week, although maybe I'll try to get out after work if the wind is looking OK. Or maybe I can sneak out for a long lunch one afternoon. However, nothing planned yet.
Last edited by goestoeleven on Sun, Oct 02 2011, 11:20 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Darkspark

Re: Who's flying this week? Oct 3rd-9th, 2011

Postby Darkspark » Sun, Oct 02 2011, 08:29 PM

180GO will be in Keokuk. In the form of three mikes and a younger mike in training. Zach Stephenson is flying with us. It will be fun. Last fest of the year.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Oct 07 2011, 02:09 PM

Well, I haven't been flying at all this week. Hoping to get out this afternoon after about 4 pm. I might go to Graf Park or maybe the horse ring at the Forest Preserve offices (depending on the wind direction). I'm also hoping to get out Sunday afternoon, in case anyone else would want to join up. If anyone would, let me know where you might be flying. (But I'm not going to drive as far as Keokuk, even if I could get to fly with you guys. Sorry :))

O2bkytn

Postby O2bkytn » Fri, Oct 07 2011, 02:26 PM

We will be joining the Pigs Aloft Kite Club at the Voice of America Park in Westchester, OH on Sunday (10/09) for OSOW.
To paint the sky is why....

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Oct 07 2011, 09:44 PM

O2bkytn wrote:We will be joining the Pigs Aloft Kite Club at the Voice of America Park in Westchester, OH on Sunday (10/09) for OSOW.

Sounds great! Enjoy.

I got out with my son late this afternoon for about an hour with a rev. It was pretty nice . . . until the wind died.

We'll probably go somewhere on Sunday afternoon to fly if the wind is good. Maybe the hill at Greene Valley (if it's still open), maybe Northerly, or maybe just stay local. We'll see.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Sat, Oct 08 2011, 01:20 PM

Flew at Busse Woods on Friday afternoon/evening, Blk/Red 1.5sle and my avatar. Super sweet and steady wind after 5:00 pm, but on the light side and fading to even lighter. My avatar flew well until it dropped down to about 1mph, which really suprised me, since I've never tried it in wind less than 4-5mph. I'm really liking that kite, especially after the re-build I did to it last month.

Am up for flying locally Saturday and/or Sunday. Anyone else? Call me at 847.340.0366.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sat, Oct 08 2011, 02:40 PM

It's windy and beautiful out and I can't fly because I'm home alone with the kids, and I have projects to finish. :(
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Oct 08 2011, 04:00 PM

I'm not going to be able to fly until tomorrow. I'm thinking Greene Valley in the afternoon. I think the hill is still open. I know it's not the best field because it's fairly small on the far side of the crown of the hill, but it is up high so if the wind is light, it might be better up there. I'll see what things look like tomorrow and post up before I go out. Mark, I'll probably call you when I head out in case you want to join.

Jeff - If you want to fly, the other alternative is we meet somewhere in between us all tomorrow afternoon. Maybe Mark's field at Busse Woods. I think the wind is supposed to be out of the south, which is good for Busse.

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Sat, Oct 08 2011, 08:31 PM

For those unaware...

Tomorrow, Sunday October 9th, is the OSOW "One Sky - One World" Kiting event!

Kiters are to fly for world unity and peace.

Today I flew at Veterans Park, at the Milwaukee lakefront, along with another NEW Rev flier (Chad) who just bought his first Rev and has since bagged his dualies! ...but with a big smile on his face!!! :revspin: Got'em...Got'em Good! :shock:

We will be flying again tomorrow for OSOW at Vets Park.

Hope you all have a WINDerFULL Day! :bash:
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Oct 09 2011, 08:22 AM

Beautiful day yesterday in Keokuk. Sunny, warm, and.....Wind!

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sun, Oct 09 2011, 11:20 AM

Mike wrote: and.....Wind!

Are you sure? Or, was that just wishful thinking.

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Oct 09 2011, 10:29 PM

Not wishful thinking--this past weekend was the best weather for any festival for the entire year. Warm, sunny and windy for *both* days.
Delightful organizer/host too. Tamela LaFoe was wonderful.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Oct 09 2011, 11:07 PM

Mike wrote:Not wishful thinking--this past weekend was the best weather for any festival for the entire year. Warm, sunny and windy for *both* days.
Delightful organizer/host too. Tamela LaFoe was wonderful.

Wow, that's awesome. Hope it makes up for the lack of wind last year. I recall something about deltas falling out of the sky.

Me, I got in a bit of time this afternoon, and the wind was OK. Actually, it was some of the better wind I've flown in for a while. Started out light, so I was on the SUL, then it picked up up a bit so I set up a standard 1.5 and switched between the two for a while . . . then it picked up more so I put a vented out on 85 foot lines (cause those lines were already on a set of handles) and flew that for a while. It was weird switching between the giant-looking vented on the shorter lines to the longer 120s and the teeny tiny standard sail 1.5 waaay out at the end of the longer lines. All in all, a good time. One of these days I need to cut one of my crappy 120 foot line sets down to a set of 40 footers (or three).

Mark - I owe you an apology, because I said I would call. I didn't get out until mid afternoon. I went to Greene Valley, and when I was on the way, I realized that I forgot to charge my cell last night (we had a camp-in with the cub scouts at a museum). And . . . car charger was in the wife's car. It would have been much better to have you there as it was a nice sunny day with a bit of wind (getting decent by about 4 pm). Although, with the wind out of the southeast, there wasn't much room in the "wedge" of grass at the far side of the top of the hill.

Return to “Club & Quick Flys”