Who is flying what, where and when this week 9/26 - 10/2?

Invites, discussion and general information about IKE Club Fly events and quick flys.
goestoeleven

Who is flying what, where and when this week 9/26 - 10/2?

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Sep 25 2011, 08:45 PM

Welcome to a new week of flying. I hope some of y'all get out and fly some this week. As for me . . . I'm swamped with work through Friday night. I may not get to fly much until next weekend. Right now, I'm planning on visiting the Wayne Day event on Saturday. I think it officially starts at 3 pm, although I might not get there until about 4:30 or so. If anyone wants to join me, I'd welcome the company. Other than that . . . it will be tough for me to get in any time in the sky this week. Maybe I can sneak in an hour or so sometime. Let's hope for fair skies and good winds.

Mamagotcha

Re: Who is flying what, where and when this week 9/26 - 10/2

Postby Mamagotcha » Mon, Sep 26 2011, 10:24 AM

My son and I are thinking about heading out to Busse Woods today. I've geocached there but never flown, and today my kites and calling loud and clear!

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Mon, Sep 26 2011, 11:45 AM

Mamagotcha wrote:My son and I are thinking about heading out to Busse Woods today. I've geocached there but never flown, and today my kites and calling loud and clear!

I can join you for a while. Call me. 847.340.0366 ----- Oops, now that I've said that, I went outside and it's raining. Perhaps on a drier day. I'm available pretty much any time.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Mamagotcha

Postby Mamagotcha » Mon, Sep 26 2011, 12:07 PM

Yeah, it was all sunny and gorgeous when I posted that, but then the clouds rolled in and my kid woke up with a cough, so my poor kites get to wait for another day. My phone number is 816-456-9014; thanks for the reply and I look forward to meeting you soon!

BillLamm

Postby BillLamm » Wed, Sep 28 2011, 08:50 AM

looks good for no rain and wind off the lake on Thursday afternoon at my new favorite spot.. Kenosha WI just east of the museums.. 54th Street and Ring Rd

Elix

Postby Elix » Wed, Sep 28 2011, 09:34 AM

Lots of variable wind yesterday afternoon. I took advantage of it and worked on inverted flight. It's slow going, but improvement is peaking through now and then. Had two cars stop by at different times to watch for a few minutes. Wondered if someone might actually get brave enough to have a chat with me, but suddenly the winds turned to mush, my rev fell out of the sky despite my protesting yanks and jogging, and as I did my first walk of shame in probably 20 trips to the field, they drove off. Rats!
Chris

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Sep 28 2011, 01:56 PM

I've been known to almost drag people out of their car to come give it a try :)
Getting the inverted flight is a big step, glad it's progressing.

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Sep 29 2011, 01:27 PM

Flew for a couple hours near Walmart until the wind kicked up too high.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Sep 29 2011, 09:21 PM

Cool! I was looking outside today after the clouds cleared and was thinking it would be great for flying. However, I'm stuck waiting for the weekend . . . . probably Wayne Day as my son has a soccer game until about 3 pm on Saturday.

P.S. - which Walmart? - maybe we could meet you there sometime. There aren't too many of them after all . . . :jester:

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Sun, Oct 02 2011, 05:24 PM

We flew for a couple hours yesterday, practiced some team stuff together. Shari is itching to get better, she has the biggest problem holdimg and doing 180's in all the ball positions. So we did that over and over. Was a georgeous day. Vented kites bright sun, it was fun!

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Oct 02 2011, 06:36 PM

Darkspark wrote:We flew for a couple hours yesterday, practiced some team stuff together. . . <snip> . . . Was a georgeous day. Vented kites bright sun, it was fun!

Wow! That's great!

Darkspark wrote:Shari is itching to get better, she has the biggest problem holdimg and doing 180's in all the ball positions. So we did that over and over.

You know . . . you need at least three for a ball. Let us know when you're going out to fly. I'd consider making the drive to Limestone if you would be open to some company. I can probably only do that on the weekends, and even then it may depend on the kid's scheduled activities. But if I'm open, (and the weather's good like Saturday), I'd likely try to convince my wife that I needed to get in the car . . . . . (if you want some company)

My report for the week is less fun . . . tried to fly in zero to 1 mph wind on Saturday at Wayne Day. While the wind was great earlier in the day, by 4:30 pm it was gone (at least in Wayne). I did not get out at all today (or any day last week) :(

Oh well, the weather at least looks sunny & dry all week. Maybe I will get out a bit during the week or next weekend. Time for a new thread . . . .

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Sun, Oct 02 2011, 08:25 PM

Never have too much company when your out flying, it was on a whim. Had I planned it I would have posted it. Good thing about having the kites in the car, can go flying when you are soposto be shopping!

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sun, Oct 02 2011, 09:32 PM

Have you heard about Cadillac Ranch? Even if you've heard about Cadillac Ranch, I doubt you've heard about Bug Ranch in Conway, Texas. It seems to be a very, very low-brow parody of Cadillac Ranch. But, it's along old Route 66, so maybe that's okay. Anyway, that is where we took a break from our travels and out came the Rev II for a little flying and picture taking.

Enjoy,
Tom

Bug Ranch - S.jpg
Bug Ranch - S.jpg (169.94 KiB) Viewed 2906 times

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Sun, Oct 02 2011, 09:37 PM

Hurray...Hurray... It sure was a Great day!

Almost five hours at Vets park...and over four of that with wind! ...Would be hard to beat that with the exception of some flying team!

Seems that since flying with 180GO! in Davenport at the Quad-Cities Fun Fest...I yearn for more! (PS: Thanks to Jeff for arriving later on Saturday giving me that opportunity!) Wish Milwaukee had more local fliers to join in... I'm working on it!

Today 5K and 10K marathons were held and over 3,000 runners finished at the park which brought interested/curious Rev spectators... so it certainly was a fun time!

This upcoming week looks pretty good... including a special visit from a Melbourne, Australia kiter and his wife who will visit Wednesday and Thursday... and we'll certainly be flying!
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Oct 03 2011, 09:24 AM

Jeepster wrote:Have you heard about Cadillac Ranch? Even if you've heard about Cadillac Ranch, I doubt you've heard about Bug Ranch in Conway, Texas. It seems to be a very, very low-brow parody of Cadillac Ranch. But, it's along old Route 66, so maybe that's okay. Anyway, that is where we took a break from our travels and out came the Rev II for a little flying and picture taking.

Enjoy,
Tom

Bug Ranch - S.jpg

Ha ha! I didn't know about bug ranch, good photo.

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Oct 03 2011, 09:33 AM

Jynx wrote:Seems that since flying with 180GO! in Davenport at the Quad-Cities Fun Fest...I yearn for more!

There will be lots of team flying at the retreat. We plan on getting you and Shari plenty of experience!

Jynx wrote:Today 5K and 10K marathons were held and over 3,000 runners finished at the park which brought interested/curious Rev spectators... so it certainly was a fun time!

Sounds like a ton of fun, I would have loved flying there. Messing with the crowd is a blast.

Jynx wrote:This upcoming week looks pretty good... including a special visit from a Melbourne, Australia kiter and his wife who will visit Wednesday and Thursday... and we'll certainly be flying!

Have fun and give them a "welcome to the States" from us too.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Mon, Oct 03 2011, 02:05 PM

Flew at Turner Park in Roselle on Sunday. Tweaking bridle on "the big white" home-made. Wind at 0-2mph, changing direction 90 degrees often. I have resolved to stop flying at this park. Wind is usually lousy at this location because of trees and houses that surround it. Must find new local site with dependable wind. Very difficult to make useful adjustments when conditions change every five minutes.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Oct 03 2011, 05:24 PM

I agree. Especially on light wind days, I think it's worth driving to a better spot. The problem is that in the Midwest, light winds are almost always quite variable in direction too. Just gotta wear your running shoes :)

Return to “Club & Quick Flys”