Who is flying what, where and when this week 9/05-9/11?

Invites, discussion and general information about IKE Club Fly events and quick flys.
Jeff

Re: Who is flying what, where and when this week 9/05-9/11?

Postby Jeff » Fri, Sep 09 2011, 10:26 PM

I'll be able to come tomorrow.

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Sat, Sep 10 2011, 12:04 AM

Kewl!!!!!!!!!
:-| I'm a bit under-the-weather... BUT, Hook or crook, I'll be there around noon!
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

prairierose

Postby prairierose » Sat, Sep 10 2011, 09:51 AM

I'm looking to head out to Northerly Island for a couple hours this afternoon, anyone in the area let me know if you want to come and I'll put a more definite time on it.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sat, Sep 10 2011, 10:00 AM

Jynx wrote:Kewl!!!!!!!!!
:-| I'm a bit under-the-weather... BUT, Hook or crook, I'll be there around noon!

Me too, there's a mild cold we seem to have brought back from Two Rivers, but it's not bad.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Sep 10 2011, 01:27 PM

prairierose wrote:I'm looking to head out to Northerly Island for a couple hours this afternoon, anyone in the area let me know if you want to come and I'll put a more definite time on it.

Wish I could make it, but I'm at work and then later this afternoon I'll be setting up for the Cub Scout camp out tonight. Maybe Dekalb tomorrow afternoon for a few hours . . . if I can get this work done.

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Sep 10 2011, 04:00 PM

The winds are absolutely calm down here in Charleston, hope y'all are having a good time in Milwaukee.

prairierose

Postby prairierose » Sat, Sep 10 2011, 05:34 PM

the parking at Northerly Island was closed off, but on my way back home grumbling in traffic on Lakeshore I noticed that the beaches looked pretty empty today. So I manned up, paid for beach parking, and was rewarded with beautiful wind -- about 5mph right off the lake. Had a great time on the beach (practiced everything our fearless leader told me to), and met a nice gentleman who was very interested in trying the kite -- and then very surprised that it was harder than it looked!

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sat, Sep 10 2011, 10:13 PM

Mike wrote:The winds are absolutely calm down here in Charleston, hope y'all are having a good time in Milwaukee.

Best wind of the year today. Seriously, we haven't had anything like it all year.

Off the lake, not very heavy, but smoooooth and constant. I'd say mostly 5-7 mph, but no gusting or swirling. It was really nice. If we had the team today, we'd have looked awesome.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Sun, Sep 11 2011, 01:13 AM

:thanks: ...to all of you who came to Milwaukee!

Great to fly with you guys (and gal) again! :up:
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

FlyAway

Postby FlyAway » Sun, Sep 11 2011, 09:54 AM

I'm glad I was able to get Maura to the Mots festival even if it was just for a half an hour or so, since we didn't expect to be there at all...

T.J.

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Sun, Sep 11 2011, 04:21 PM

We had a blast at Mots. Got some quality practice in With David and Jeff. Shari spent some time flying with us. She was doing very well and seems to be over the initial nervousness. And Jynx gets the most improved award for the year! She was flying like a pro! And to top it all off the wind was beautiful! Like Jeff said, we ever get a similar wind at a fest and we would look fantastic!
And to top off a fine day, we went to the auction raffle at the end of the day. I won the auction for a Rev bag, that is embroidered with "Mots Kite Festival 2011". And I won it for $50. I almost felt bad for not paying more!
Turned out to be a really fun day for flying. Good times!

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Sep 11 2011, 06:49 PM

Darkspark wrote:We had a blast at Mots. Got some quality practice in With David and Jeff. Shari spent some time flying with us. She was doing very well and seems to be over the initial nervousness. And Jynx gets the most improved award for the year! She was flying like a pro! And to top it all off the wind was beautiful! Like Jeff said, we ever get a similar wind at a fest and we would look fantastic!
And to top off a fine day, we went to the auction raffle at the end of the day. I won the auction for a Rev bag, that is embroidered with "Mots Kite Festival 2011". And I won it for $50. I almost felt bad for not paying more!
Turned out to be a really fun day for flying. Good times!

Wow! I'm sorry I missed Mots, but we would have been bidding against each other for the Rev bag! And I'm not sorry that I went camping with the cub scouts.

I went to Dekalb for a couple hours this afternoon. Wind was "thermally" - light and variable down to nothing, then gusting up a bit. Direction varied a bit too - over as much as 90 degrees at times. But, I had a good time flying a 1.5 SUL on 120s.

No teams flying demos this year, except Chicago Kite was there, and I think they did a few improv team demo flights on dual lines, but I missed those. Wind might have been too light. Attendance seemed down from last year, but maybe that's because it was 9/11 and also during the Bears game this afternoon.

Several big foils and sleds up in the air, but wind was too light for lots of line laundry so there were only a few big pieces in the air - an Octopus and a Penguin, I think.

There were some Wisconsin Kiters Club fliers there (I saw their signs, etc.). I met a guy from Michigan with some foils and laundry up. I also met a guy who had a couple Deca Synergy kites that he flew for a while (when there was wind). He had the shortest line set I've ever seen on one of the kites - maybe ten or fifteen feet, which he said was for indoor stage performances.

There was another rev flier there (I think Mary is her name) with her cart of kites. I met her up in Milwaukee Memorial day weekend, and also flew revs next to her for a bit today. There was a guy from Dekalb (Shawn) trying to fly a Rev waaaaay over at the end of the field, so I went over and gave him a few pointers on how to set up a Rev and some flying tips. I hope he turns up on the forums & can meet us for a club fly some time.

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Mon, Sep 12 2011, 12:15 AM

Mikey ~ Thanks for the compliment, coming from you it means a lot! :oops:

Really missed seeing more of the IKE crowd today... But certainly today's highlight was Dave (who was personally invited) and performed an awesome triple-stack Rev routine ON THE PERFORMANCE FIELD! He totally WOWed the crowd! ...(I took video of his performance and will have to get it posted on youtube once I have a little time!) :up: WINDerFULL JOB Dave!!!

Missing you/s already! Hope to see you/s at the Quad-Cities fest!

:thanks: Again for all those who made the Milwaukee fest so memorable!

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Mon, Sep 12 2011, 11:35 PM

Jynx wrote:...today's highlight was Dave (who was personally invited) and performed an awesome triple-stack Rev routine ON THE PERFORMANCE FIELD! He totally WOWed the crowd! ...(I took video of his performance and will have to get it posted on youtube once I have a little time!) :up: WINDerFULL JOB Dave!!!

Check-out Dave's performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w1dL4kB0io

FlyAway

Postby FlyAway » Tue, Sep 13 2011, 09:09 AM

Jynx wrote:
Jynx wrote:...today's highlight was Dave (who was personally invited) and performed an awesome triple-stack Rev routine ON THE PERFORMANCE FIELD! He totally WOWed the crowd! ...(I took video of his performance and will have to get it posted on youtube once I have a little time!) :up: WINDerFULL JOB Dave!!!

Check-out Dave's performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w1dL4kB0io

Bravo!!!

T.J.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Tue, Sep 13 2011, 03:19 PM

Mots was wonderful. Flew both days. Wind was good both days, with one weird 180 degree shift Sunday morning. Other than that it was smooth and pretty steady. The team would have looked incredibly good in that wind!

Lots of fun. Dave's performance was stunning!

It was a gas flying with everyone who came. Thank you.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Return to “Club & Quick Flys”