Who is flying what, where and when this week 9/05-9/11?

Invites, discussion and general information about IKE Club Fly events and quick flys.
goestoeleven

Who is flying what, where and when this week 9/05-9/11?

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Sep 05 2011, 09:02 AM

Well, the new week is here. Judging by last week's thread, we had some good flying out there (and some challenges with the wind at Two Rivers). Let's hope for some fair skies and good winds this week. I hope everyone can get out to fly.

We have a couple couple festivals next weekend -
- Mots in Milwaukee both Saturday and Sunday 9/10-9/11
- Dekalb on Sunday 9/11

I probably can't make Mots due to a cub scout campout on Saturday. I'll probably try to make Dekalb in the afternoon.

I may get out and fly today for a couple hours to make up for the woeful lack of handle time last week. It will probably be (somewhat) local and I'll have to be done by 2:30 as I have a bunch of things to get done around the house. I may try a new park in Naperville or maybe Lisle.

Darkspark

Re: Who is flying what, where and when this week 9/05-9/11?

Postby Darkspark » Tue, Sep 06 2011, 07:11 PM

Shari and I are heading to Motts for the weekend. Always a fun festival. If anyone wants to come and fly some impromptu team and get some practice please join us. It is always a fun fest and a great location. Hopefully we will get lucky and get some wind from off the lake one or both of the days.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Sep 06 2011, 10:04 PM

Wish I could go to Mots (Motts?) . . . but I think it is not to be this year.

I did get out today for a bit after work - about 45 minutes in variable wind at Busse. Called Makatakam, but it went to VM so I had the entire field at Busse to myself (except for some geese). Got some practice with flying backwards, tip & bicycle turns, and ladder up / ladder down & some other work. Mostly just messing around & not very precise. Plenty of flying still needed.

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Sep 07 2011, 10:16 AM

goestoeleven wrote:Wish I could go to Mots (Motts?)

If ya really want to know, the fest is named for Frank Mots, so it's one S, no apostrophe.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Wed, Sep 07 2011, 11:50 AM

Actually, the whole name is the "Don Jacobs Toyota Frank Mots International Kite Festival."

So when you refer to it, you must use the entire title. :-P
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Wed, Sep 07 2011, 12:20 PM

Or......DJTFMIKF.................

Elix

Postby Elix » Wed, Sep 07 2011, 02:41 PM

Went out for a short fly last night... wow. Winds were blowing between 5 and 20, with occasional 30 mph gusts. As I stood there with my 80 feet of line unrolled and my full sail still safely furled, I decided today might not be the safest day for my multi-hundred dollar kite. Time to bust out my ebay kite! I hadn't touched it since the B arrived so I was a little curious how my skills might have improved since it last flew. I pulled it out of my kite bag (aka the trunk of my car) and shook off the cobwebs. Wow it's so tiny. Hooked up the lines and walked back to my handles. Wow, did I mention it's tiny? A little tug and we're off!

Oh Em Gee, this thing is so unstable and lightning fast! The wind is yanking it all over the sky and its spins are just a blur. How did I ever learn on this thing! I spent about 25 minutes tearing across the sky, trying to make the thing look like I was actually controlling it. I have to say, tho it's a far cry from Rev quality, I was glad I was using it that day because I'm pretty sure some of the gusts that came along would have snapped my 1.5 frame. I hear tonight's wind is supposed to be more of the same, but it's also raining on and off. We'll see!
Chris

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Sep 07 2011, 08:33 PM

Well, at least you were out there! I'm willing to bet that your 1.5 frame wouldn't snap, but some of the other parts might let loose. I lost a sand cap when the vertical popped out of the cap in a high gust of wind, but none of the frame parts snapped.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Wed, Sep 07 2011, 08:44 PM

Flew yesterday at Turner Park in Roselle (sorry, Steve, forgot to grab the phone), and today at Busse Woods, blk/red Rev 1.5 sle (many modifications), Supersonic, and Phantom 1.5 full vent and my avatar (which I re-worked to be more durable). Winds varied from 5 - 20 mph, and just as many directions. Gee, I love midwest lumpy ever-changing wind, NOT!!! Didn't break anything for a change, except the avatar. All the modifications on the blk/red sle held nicely, and I even intentionally bumped it into the ground pretty hard from various angles to test it. Practiced upright and inverted tip-circles, super-easy with the supersonic, not quite as easy with the rev 1.5, but practicing with the SS makes it easier to understand the necessary inputs for these maneuvers. It also makes the Hadzicky shuffle and Moonwalk easier to understand, but makes bicycle spins difficult and requires more precise inputs, which should translate to better precision with a 1.5 . Practiced 1/4 and 1/8 clockwork and am getting better at it, but can't get it "crisp" yet.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Sep 07 2011, 09:14 PM

makatakam wrote:...Hadzicky shuffle and Moonwalk...

And what are those?

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Wed, Sep 07 2011, 09:20 PM

cartwheels across the window. One is in the direction of travel the other in the opposite direction. I have always called them cartwheels?? But anything to do with moonwalking is cool. Particularly if you are wearing a sparkly glove on one hand! I had one when I was a kid. I even had the matching jacket with what seemed like 100 zippers.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Sep 07 2011, 11:03 PM

Mike, you have to realize that Mark has read all the threads over on revkites . . . . there was one recently that discussed the naming of cartwheels - both spinward in the direction of travel and spinning opposite the direction of travel (moonwalk). I'm still working on those moves . . . . and not very good at them.

Mikey . . . dude, really, TMI. :-D

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Sep 08 2011, 09:38 AM

Really? The consensus is for Hadzicki Shuffle?
I gotta get over to that forum more often.

By the way, no one does the moonwalk style better than Zach Gordon. He's been doing it since he was, like, six years old.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Sep 08 2011, 01:27 PM

I don't know that there was consensus, just that the nomenclature was discussed at some point or a thread got updated sometime in the last few weeks.

Well . . . I'm just starting revs a bit less than forty years late then . . . (if Zach started at 6).

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Thu, Sep 08 2011, 06:54 PM

goestoeleven wrote:Mike, you have to realize that Mark has read all the threads over on revkites . . . .Mikey . . . dude, really, TMI. :-D

Yup, guilty as charged! Read every last one. Did you know there are five variations of "French bridle"? Two French, one English, one Dutch and the one I'm working on. Also, magic (sissy) sticks come in four different lengths and three different ways of mounting them? Ten, twelve, fourteen and sixteen inches, two-line, three-line and seven-line (the seven-line are adjustable). Made a set of sticks and tried them. I'm not impressed. Made the kite feel "sluggish", but they did eliminate some of the lumpiness of our Midwest wind. Almost no difference in axels that I could discern, but slides became smoother, probably because of reduced wind lumps. Forgot to try flic-flacs, so I can't give you any info on that.

Just thought I'd take the TMI monkey off your back, Mikey! (You're welcome.)

I'll see all you guys at the upcoming fests.
Last edited by makatakam on Thu, Sep 08 2011, 11:55 PM, edited 1 time in total.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Elix

Postby Elix » Thu, Sep 08 2011, 08:12 PM

Mike wrote:Really? The consensus is for Hadzicki Shuffle?

Yeah, I guess when you invent the kite, you get a move named after you. :jester:
Chris

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Fri, Sep 09 2011, 12:05 AM

Flew yesterday at Busse Woods for about 4 hours. Wind varied from 0 to 20, but mercifully today it didn't shift much from left to right like it did the last couple of days. Full-vent Phantom most of the time, and my new exp a little. Just arrived this morning. Played around with tip-circles and "cartwheels across the window in and against the direction of travel" (Hadzicky shuffle and moonwalk are much quicker to type). Trying to get the hang of inverted tip-circles: it's not going well -- crash & burn, repeat, repeat, repeat.
MARK

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Fri, Sep 09 2011, 01:06 PM

So Shari and I will be at Mots Saturday for sure. And a small chance we'll go Sunday. On Saturday the winds are forcast at 8-12 out of the NE. Off the water. Should be a nice day to fly. Sunny and 70. looking forward to it!

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Fri, Sep 09 2011, 08:37 PM

Darkspark wrote:So Shari and I will be at Mots Saturday for sure. And a small chance we'll go Sunday. On Saturday the winds are forcast at 8-12 out of the NE. Off the water. Should be a nice day to fly. Sunny and 70. looking forward to it!

See you there! ..Hopefully more will show and we can do some team-stuff!!!! :up:

We'll be at the waters edge! (East of the performance field)
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Fri, Sep 09 2011, 09:05 PM

We'll be at the waters edge! (East of the performance field)

So When we get there I will walk towards the east until I find you or get wet. :-D
See ya tomorrow!

Return to “Club & Quick Flys”