Who is flying what, where and when this week 8/29-9/04?

Invites, discussion and general information about IKE Club Fly events and quick flys.
makatakam

Who is flying what, where and when this week 8/29-9/04?

Postby makatakam » Fri, Aug 26 2011, 10:06 PM

Starting topic a bit early because "REVflyer" (Rev forum "guru") will be in Chicago this Sunday, 8-28 9-11 thru Wednesday, 8-31 9-14. I'm going to fly with him (he didn't post his name on the rev site, so I don't know who he is), on Tuesday, somewhere at the lakefront from Norhterly Island to Montrose Harbor. Join us if you can. Call me at 847.340.0366 if you're interested.

Had wrong dates posted here. They are now corrected.
Last edited by makatakam on Sat, Aug 27 2011, 09:45 AM, edited 1 time in total.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Jeepster

Re: Who is flying what, where and when this week 8/29-9/04?

Postby Jeepster » Fri, Aug 26 2011, 10:36 PM

Mark,

RevFlyer's name is Paul McMasters. He's an excellent low wind flier ... pick his brain.

Cheers,
Tom

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Aug 26 2011, 11:06 PM

makatakam wrote:Starting topic a bit early because "REVflyer" (Rev forum "guru") will be in Chicago this Sunday, 8-28 thru Wednesday, 8-31. I'm going to fly with him (he didn't post his name on the rev site, so I don't know who he is), on Tuesday, somewhere at the lakefront from Norhterly Island to Montrose Harbor. Join us if you can. Call me at 847.340.0366 if you're interested.

Thanks for starting the thread early . . . but . . .

You might want to re-read his post over on revkites because he says he'll be in Chicago 9/11 - 9/14. I think he means to fly downtown on Tuesday 9/13.

Also . . . woohoo - this week includes a festival! Only a little more than a week to Two Rivers! Right now . . . I think (I hope) I can make it for a chunk of Saturday 9/3.

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Aug 27 2011, 08:11 AM

A warning about Two Rivers. The first year there was plenty of room for people to fly. Then they added learn to fly fields and the space for anyone else to fly dwindled considerably. Last year 180GO! couldn't find a place to fly except when performing. Chow promised to change things for this year and make space for everyone, but I thought y'all should know. Feel free to call me on Saturday if you want to know how the fields are laid out and include that info in your decision making.

Anyone else who's flown there want to chime in?

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sat, Aug 27 2011, 08:43 AM

The lack of an area to fly sport kites at the Two Rivers festival is one of the reasons I branched out into SLKs. It's a great festival, but you have to work at finding space to fly. However, having said that, several of us flew over the water and in the big kite field last year. If you have the time to check it out, calling Mike on Saturday morning makes sense.

Or, come fly on Friday ... there will be absolutely NO HINT of a kite festival on the beach on Friday. We came early one year and I though we were in the wrong place.

Cheers,
Tom

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Aug 27 2011, 09:47 AM

I was a little worried about that after looking at the satellite pics of the beach. It looks reasonably wide, but not very long (especially once it has a couple flying fields and spectators & festival SLK kites in the sky. Is anyone going early this year who could give a report on the field setup? While I like flying SLKs, my main reason for going is to get to fly revs with the group. I had such a blast doing lots of that at WSIKF that I want to get more. I don't mind flying over the water, but if there isn't any room to fly . . . well, I might skip the long drive :( .

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Sat, Aug 27 2011, 09:49 AM

goestoeleven wrote:
makatakam wrote:Starting topic a bit early because "REVflyer" (Rev forum "guru") will be in Chicago this Sunday, 8-28 thru Wednesday, 8-31. I'm going to fly with him (he didn't post his name on the rev site, so I don't know who he is), on Tuesday, somewhere at the lakefront from Norhterly Island to Montrose Harbor. Join us if you can. Call me at 847.340.0366 if you're interested.

Thanks for starting the thread early . . . but . . .

You might want to re-read his post over on revkites because he says he'll be in Chicago 9/11 - 9/14. I think he means to fly downtown on Tuesday 9/13.

Also . . . woohoo - this week includes a festival! Only a little more than a week to Two Rivers! Right now . . . I think (I hope) I can make it for a chunk of Saturday 9/3.

Thanks for the "heads-up", Steve!!! I've corrected the original post to show the proper dates. :thanks:
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Elix

Postby Elix » Thu, Sep 01 2011, 04:51 PM

Mmm Beach Winds! Been loving North Carolina ocean breezes this week. Flew so many hours yesterday, I have no idea how long I was out there. Haven't had anyone stop to talk to me or anything. Had my picture taken a few times though, yeah OK it was the kite they were after... I've been getting lots of inverted practice in. So much easier with the steady breeze! Wish I had some 200 foot lines. 80 is OK, but I've got a lot of room around here!
Attachments
Kite.JPG
Kite.JPG (105.05 KiB) Viewed 1876 times
Chris

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Thu, Sep 01 2011, 04:56 PM

That is a fantastic picture. Glad your vacation is working out after the bumpy start.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Sep 01 2011, 08:37 PM

AWESOME! Nice pic - but looks like the little guy wants the handles. Love those constant ocean breezes! Played in the water with the kite yet? I buried mine in the waves several times doing inverted slides, etc. when I was down in NC.

Elix

Postby Elix » Thu, Sep 01 2011, 09:36 PM

The water is evil!!! It's swallowed my kite twice now. Luckily I've had someone nearby both times to rescue it from the deadly clutches. I've seen water play before, but now I'm thinking they didn't have to contend with any current. The crashing waves were nearly folding my kite in half. Thought I was gonna be buying some new spars the 2nd time. I'm staying out of the ocean now. Will try a calm lake someday, though.
Chris

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Thu, Sep 01 2011, 09:38 PM

Look, up in the sky -- it's a bird, it's a plane, no wait, it's super-rev. Just give me the handles!
MARK

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Sep 02 2011, 01:59 AM

Elix wrote:The water is evil!!! It's swallowed my kite twice now. Luckily I've had someone nearby both times to rescue it from the deadly clutches. I've seen water play before, but now I'm thinking they didn't have to contend with any current. The crashing waves were nearly folding my kite in half. Thought I was gonna be buying some new spars the 2nd time. I'm staying out of the ocean now. Will try a calm lake someday, though.

Yeah, me too. It's so hard to resist playing with the waves - sliding right above them is too much fun. Then one little "oops" and you're in the surf crashing on the beach. And, like you, I freaked out thinking the surf would destroy the spars or rip the sail. First (and second and third) time it happened, I dropped the handles and RAN to the kite to get it out of the surf.

I think the key is to slowly put a small part of the sail in some (non-wave-crashing) water, and then slowly back it out again to get used to the much higher resistance on your lines. The kites can "fly" in the water, provided the water isn't knocking them down at the same time. I'd stay away from going inverted into the water for now - it's easier to put the tails end in or one of the ends, and then fly "forward" to get out or slide up to get out of the water. I did not have much luck whenever I got too much of the leading edge into the water. That was pretty much going to be a "burial at sea" for the kite.

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Sep 02 2011, 06:26 AM

Great photo! I was wondering if you were able to continue your vacation after the storm, I'm glad it worked out.
Longer lines would also help you reach past the breaking waves. It's also fun to drag just the tip into the water as you fly left to right. Try it in the shallow water as a wave recedes.
Enjoy the smooth winds!

Return to “Club & Quick Flys”