Who is flying what, where and when this week 8/15-8/21

Invites, discussion and general information about IKE Club Fly events and quick flys.
goestoeleven

Who is flying what, where and when this week 8/15-8/21

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Aug 15 2011, 10:30 AM

Hello IKE people. Hope to hear about some good flying this week, and hope the winds & weather are good.

Did anyone get to fly last weekend at the Glenview festival?

I hope to get out and fly a lot this week once we get to WSIKF, and hopefully I'll have some pictures to post later.

prairierose

Re: Who is flying what, where and when this week 8/15-8/21

Postby prairierose » Tue, Aug 16 2011, 09:16 AM

I might be in Schaumburg with some free time this afternoon, so I'm thinking I'll check out Busse Woods.
Last edited by prairierose on Tue, Aug 16 2011, 05:16 PM, edited 1 time in total.

prairierose

Postby prairierose » Tue, Aug 16 2011, 05:15 PM

I didn't end up having time to get out today :( (setting up my classroom is taking longer than I thought), but I will be in Schaumburg regularly now. Schaumburgians -- which is nicer for flying, Roselle Park or Busse Woods? Which part of Busse Woods do you fly in? And, most importantly, who's up for flying Friday afternoon? I'll probably be free by 3pm.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Tue, Aug 16 2011, 09:12 PM

prairierose wrote:I didn't end up having time to get out today :( (setting up my classroom is taking longer than I thought), but I will be in Schaumburg regularly now. Schaumburgians -- which is nicer for flying, Roselle Park or Busse Woods? Which part of Busse Woods do you fly in? And, most importantly, who's up for flying Friday afternoon? I'll probably be free by 3pm.

Definitely Busse. The map shows the flying area in the north section.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Wed, Aug 17 2011, 12:10 AM

prairierose wrote:I didn't end up having time to get out today :( (setting up my classroom is taking longer than I thought), but I will be in Schaumburg regularly now. Schaumburgians -- which is nicer for flying, Roselle Park or Busse Woods? Which part of Busse Woods do you fly in? And, most importantly, who's up for flying Friday afternoon? I'll probably be free by 3pm.

I'm in for Friday afternoon. Turner park in Roselle is good only if the wind is 15mph or more. Then the surrounding houses and trees take some of the punch out of it. The entrance to the flying area at Busse Woods is on Golf Road just east of route 53. (Woodfield Mall is on the other side of 53) Click on maps at the top of this page and zoom in Schaumburg. There's an IKE logo on it.

Schaumburgians? I thought we were "burgers" (with everything, fries and a large drink!).
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Wed, Aug 17 2011, 10:08 PM

Flew Monday Tuesday and today at Turner Park & Busse Woods. Rev1.5 sle, HQ Skysong and home-made "lattice" rev-like. Making modifications, tweaking, repeat, repeat, repeat. All on 50#x85'. Cut up/modified the 1.5sle, still needs some adjustments to le and bridle.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Fri, Aug 19 2011, 11:03 PM

Flew at Busse Woods today with "Prairie Rose", wind was lame at best, even for sul's. We got a little airtime in flying in thermal backdrafts for about an hour and a half. Rose left a bit after 5:00pm, and, typically, the wind improved dramatically moments after she left, turning almost 180 degrees to SW at a smooth 4mph. (Rose you should've hung in there for 20 more minutes.) It was SWEET for an hour and then just disappeared; typical midwest. We flew the ul's on 90#x120' lines, 50#x75' or 50' may have helped me some, (I'm still not as good as I'd like to be in light wind), but Rose's experience showed brightly.

Kudos to you Rose, but watch out, I'll catch up eventually, as soon as I stop flying all sorts of other s___, and concentrate on rev's.

:thanks: for dropping by Busse and flying with me. :-D

Is anyone flying this weekend?
MARK

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Aug 20 2011, 08:09 AM

If the weather looks decent for Sunday, 3 Mikes (Mikey, Big Mike, and I) are going meet up at Zahnd Park in Champaign around noon. Anyone is welcome to join us, of course.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Aug 21 2011, 11:05 PM

Hope you guys got to fly today (Sunday).

My week, in short . . . it was GREAT! We spent 3 1/2 days at WSIKF, and I spent pretty much all my time flying Revs with lots of other fliers. Met Jeepster there, along with tons of other rev pilots . . . too many to mention, but I'm guessing most of you would recognize them from other forums.

First day I was too shy to join in . . . but the next three days I got into some great group flying. Lots of wind all three days - vented for me & David, and my arms and shoulders were TIRED by the time we packed up on Saturday night. iQuad and other flyers were on their extra vented or mesh kites on Saturday. Several teams there, including Rev Riders, iQuad, and Island Quad along with lots of solo fliers. So many cool fun things for me - 2nd day there, and I'm in a group fly with 17 other people. Next day, in several groups of four to eight or more, just group flying around. Went to indoor flying for the first time, and saw some really impressive trick flying. David and I entered the beginner precision competition. Also got to fly in a mega fly grid of 36 kites . . . way cool. David even took the handles for some of the mega fly grid slides & thread moves (although I took them back for the balls because my position was on the bottom of the ball, and his inverted hover needs some work).

Here's a couple favorite pictures from the festival. David's in the first one . . . learning a bit about team flying from some guys who have maybe done a little bit of rev flying . . . .

DSC_0801small.JPG
David's favorite part of the week!
DSC_0801small.JPG (128.02 KiB) Viewed 1408 times

36 kite mega-grid!
DSC_0793-1.JPG
I'm the yellow/orange/red vented lower left in the center ball
DSC_0793-1.JPG (73.61 KiB) Viewed 1408 times

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Mon, Aug 22 2011, 02:13 PM

[quote="goestoeleven"]Hope you guys got to fly today (Sunday).

My week, in short . . . it was GREAT!

Sounds like it was lots of fun! Wish I could have been there. Maybe next year.

Flew at Busse on Sunday. Wind was strong and steady about 200 feet up. Near the ground we had the usual lumps. Flew half of everything I have, including slks and dlks.
MARK

Return to “Club & Quick Flys”