Who is flying what, where and when this week 8/7-8/14

Invites, discussion and general information about IKE Club Fly events and quick flys.
makatakam

Who is flying what, where and when this week 8/7-8/14

Postby makatakam » Sat, Aug 06 2011, 07:55 PM

I started the post because Steve is busy today. I hope you don't mind, Steve, just thought since I was already here I'd just go ahead and do it. So go ahead guys and gals, post 'em if you got 'em!
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Captain

Re: Who is flying what, where and when this week 8/7-8/13

Postby Captain » Sat, Aug 06 2011, 08:32 PM

I am up for flying for 7th, I will be out on Montrose beach after 2 if anyone wants to join. If you want to do little early somewhere for tomorrow I am ready for that too....

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Sat, Aug 06 2011, 08:41 PM

The beach or the hill? Wind SW12 the last time I checked. Steve (goes to eleven) and I may be able to join you. I definitely can, but I think Steve needs to stay closer to home. If Busse woods is an option for you, let us know.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Aug 06 2011, 09:11 PM

Awesome - I'm glad someone else is starting these weekly threads too. Not sure yet if I can fly tomorrow . . . but I will watch the thread(s) to see what's up.

FlyAway

Postby FlyAway » Sun, Aug 07 2011, 07:46 AM

Iffy for me. Have stuff to do around the house, but I'll see how the day goes.

T.J.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sun, Aug 07 2011, 09:44 AM

Flying on the 14th with the Mile High kiters in Longmont, Colorado.

(The whole weekend should probably be in the time span)
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Aug 07 2011, 11:10 AM

Jeff - I like that suggestion to make the whole weekend in the same thread. Mark - can you edit the thread label to extend to the 14th? If not . . . maybe an admin can help . . . Jeff?

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Sun, Aug 07 2011, 11:13 AM

goestoeleven wrote:Jeff - I like that suggestion to make the whole weekend in the same thread. Mark - can you edit the thread label to extend to the 14th? If not . . . maybe an admin can help . . . Jeff?

I don't think I can edit the topic.
MARK

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Aug 08 2011, 11:53 AM

goestoeleven wrote: maybe an admin can help . . .

I can change the heading on the first post, which should be good enough.

Darkspark

Re: Who is flying what, where and when this week 8/7-8/14

Postby Darkspark » Mon, Aug 08 2011, 12:53 PM

Had to stay in town yesterday for some family stuff. So me Shari, Big MIke, Ann and Zach flew yesterday afternoon. Was nice, good wind, blue sky, good company. Had a good time.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Mon, Aug 08 2011, 01:05 PM

Flew at Montrose beach yesterday for about 30 seconds, slk delta, Walmart, $1.95+tax. Kid had the line tied to the cross-spar on the back of the kite. Fixed that, kid flew. Good wind, lousy traffic and parking took 7 loops around the area. Waited for anyone else to show up from about 2:30 'til 5:00. Went home. Big storm moved in, couldn't see the lines on the road right next to me! Glad I got out of there when I did. Don't even want to imagine the nightmare traffic turned into at the beach once the storm hit.
MARK

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Aug 08 2011, 09:18 PM

makatakam wrote:Flew at Montrose beach yesterday for about 30 seconds, slk delta, Walmart, $1.95+tax. Kid had the line tied to the cross-spar on the back of the kite. Fixed that, kid flew. Good wind, lousy traffic and parking took 7 loops around the area. Waited for anyone else to show up from about 2:30 'til 5:00. Went home. Big storm moved in, couldn't see the lines on the road right next to me! Glad I got out of there when I did. Don't even want to imagine the nightmare traffic turned into at the beach once the storm hit.

We missed! Agree, parking was a nightmare. We got there about 4:45 and flew next to the small hill / soccer fields for about 20 minutes because that's where we found a parking spot. We got the full sail rev up just long enough for my son to fly & my niece to have a try on the handles. I took it down right before the storm moved in and headed out. There were a few people there with SLKs, but not for very long. It seems like a good place to fly . . . but my guess is you'd have to get there early if you want to find parking.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Tue, Aug 09 2011, 07:48 AM

I saw the SLK'S from the street, couple of snowflake/stars, didn't see a rev, were you on the north side of the hill? I wanted to check out the SLK"S but couldn't get a parking spot, so I gave up. Walked up and down the beach from the horseshoe to the north end when I got there. Even with the crowd that inhabited the beach there was enough room to fly on 120's, but on weekends I would stick to 80's or 50's. I would have flown the beach, but didn't have my end cap covers with me. Put those in the sleeves first thing when I got home.

Most of the time I don't take my laptop with me and still haven't set up a forum viewer on my phone, but you didn't post you'd be there anyway. You have my number, call.
MARK

Elix

Postby Elix » Tue, Aug 09 2011, 08:11 AM

Finally got out last night for about 35 minutes of light wind flying. Getting better at inverted slides but my inverted hover attempts are still atrocious. The wind isn't helping matters. Just once I'd like a stiff breeze in this limp-flag state :)
Chris

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Aug 09 2011, 10:15 PM

makatakam wrote:I saw the SLK'S from the street, couple of snowflake/stars, didn't see a rev, were you on the north side of the hill?

Nope, south side, and only for a short time.

makatakam wrote: you didn't post you'd be there anyway. You have my number, call.

It was a spur of the moment thing as we had to be somewhere a couple miles away at 5:15. If we hadn't lucked into a parking spot right next to the field, we were going to leave.

I flew at Busse tonight for about an hour after leaving work late. Vented Rev first followed by full sail as the winds got lighter. I decided to go out to fly as we finally had a cool evening with plenty of wind. Gusty & changing direction (welcome to the midwest) but still a very nice evening overall. Packed up after the sun went down. Mark - I did try to call you tonight when I was on my way there, but maybe your phone was off or something (BTW, it did not go to voicemail).

There were a couple SLK flyers out there and I mentioned IKE to them. There was also a guy with a power kite and a wheeled land kiting surfing board practicing on the far side of the field, but I did not get to talk to him. Would have liked trading time on my Rev for some time on his power kite. Looks like fun.

Elix

Postby Elix » Wed, Aug 10 2011, 08:10 AM

Another 30 minutes last night. Thanks to some nearby thunderstorms, I've learned even a stiff breeze doesn't help my current reverse skills. I can physically see the legs of my inverted rev curling forward, yet the kite still wants to dive or tip-flip. If I maintain altitude, I'm in a permanent state of oscillation. Does anyone have some tips on how to work on not over-controlling? I'm trying the advice about giving the kite some intentional instability by shaking the lines a bit. If it just takes time and that... I'll get there eventually I suppose. Just wondering if anyone else found something that helped them out as well. I also worked on bouncing back and forth from left hovers to right hovers. That's going pretty well. I really want to get into clockwork spins without losing altitude but without the reverse hover under my belt, I'm not sure it'll happen. Y'all need to move to southern Indiana so I can learn your Jedi skills :-P
Chris

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Aug 10 2011, 08:31 AM

Elix wrote:Another 30 minutes last night. Thanks to some nearby thunderstorms, I've learned even a stiff breeze doesn't help my current reverse skills. I can physically see the legs of my inverted rev curling forward, yet the kite still wants to dive or tip-flip. If I maintain altitude, I'm in a permanent state of oscillation. Does anyone have some tips on how to work on not over-controlling? I'm trying the advice about giving the kite some intentional instability by shaking the lines a bit. If it just takes time and that... I'll get there eventually I suppose. Just wondering if anyone else found something that helped them out as well. I also worked on bouncing back and forth from left hovers to right hovers. That's going pretty well. I really want to get into clockwork spins without losing altitude but without the reverse hover under my belt, I'm not sure it'll happen. Y'all need to move to southern Indiana so I can learn your Jedi skills :-P

For me, it was just time. I won't claim that my reverse hovers are that stable, but I can hover and fly (somewhat erratically) in reverse. It just takes time flying, and steady wind helps. So does a vented, if you have the wind for it. Are you going to be up north (perhaps the dunes) any time before November? There are several festivals coming up in September, although most are pretty far from you - (Two Rivers, WI, Mots (Milwaukee), Dekalb, and Quad Cities). Last year, we also had a club fly in Pontiac sometime in October. Mike K. suggested a weekend retreat as well, so there's some interest in flying for a whole weekend some time this fall. I'll revive that thread with a new post.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Thu, Aug 11 2011, 03:25 AM

Just keep flipping it upside down and try to hold it, or start from parked leading edge down and raise it slowly as far as you can without wobbling, come back down slowly, repeat, repeat, repeat! The more you fly, the easier it gets.

Flew yesterday late afternoon with T.J. at Lunt street beach at Lake Michigan. Super smooth wind, started out at 8-10, dwindling slowly as the sun started setting. Everything is so much easier without the bumps. Flew full vent Phantom, switching to my home-made "Mardi Gras" revlike as the wind started subsiding. TJ got some time in on his 1.5 sle and my Phantom and home-made. He also learned what those vinyl cap covers are for; yup, we flew on the sand.

Is anyone going to the Chicago Botanical Gardens kite fest? Has anyone flown there before? I Googled the site and didn't see anything bigger than a postage stamp to fly on. Looks like trees everywhere too.

And here's a shot of the newst build against an awesome sky:

IMG_0875.jpg
IMG_0875.jpg (141.56 KiB) Viewed 2471 times
MARK

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Aug 11 2011, 07:32 AM

There isn't really room for the public to fly at the gardens. Jeff usually goes, but I think he's out of town right now. If he sees this post he can fill in the details.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Thu, Aug 11 2011, 08:37 AM

Revs and SLKs at Long Beach, Washington ... attending WSIKF for the first time. So, will miss the Captain in Chicago.

Cheers,
Tom

Return to “Club & Quick Flys”