Club Fly - August 6th?

Invites, discussion and general information about IKE Club Fly events and quick flys.
goestoeleven

Re: Club Fly - August 6th?

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Aug 06 2011, 07:58 AM

Here's the link to a Google map of the top of the hill at Greene Valley for anyone who hasn't been there. For those who haven't been there, the hill is a former landfill so there are no trees and it's probably 175 to 200 feet above the valley floor. I'll be there after it opens, but right now looking out the window, there's zero wind and rain showers :( so it's not looking promising today.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Sat, Aug 06 2011, 08:22 AM

Hey, Steve
I found someting interesting on Google Maps. link Look at the loop towards the bottom left-hand corner, it appears to be mowed, almost no trees in the area. I'm going to drive there now and check it out. I'll call you with info.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

FlyAway

Postby FlyAway » Sat, Aug 06 2011, 09:46 AM

I'll check the thread for tomorrow. I would like to get out, depends on where and what time.

T.J.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Sat, Aug 06 2011, 05:34 PM

Hey TJ,
You haven't flown in a while. Wassup? Where do you usually fly in your area? Is there anywhere near you that will handle a half dozen revs on 120's?
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Captain

Postby Captain » Sat, Aug 06 2011, 08:30 PM

goestoeleven wrote:OK, well, it's 11:30 pm, and I haven't heard from Captain, and it looks like Darkspark and TJ are out of the picture tomorrow. So, Mark, I think it's just you and me on Saturday. The field in Wheaton is OK . . . but lately I've been disappointed there due to the trees around it (and there's a row across most of the NE end of the field). What do you say to Greene Valley, top of the hill, roughly when it opens at 11 am? I'm picking it because of the altitude & hoping for better winds a couple hundred feet up on the ridge than the 3-5 mph forecast according to the noaa web site. I'll plan on going to the end where we had the IKE fly a couple weeks back (past the observation point).

Got your message little again, it's just been crazy schedule today and yesterday. I am still up for some flying tomorrow. This sounded so awesome and I am kinda pissed that I missed out...

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Sat, Aug 06 2011, 08:37 PM

Captain wrote:
goestoeleven wrote:OK, well, it's 11:30 pm, and I haven't heard from Captain, and it looks like Darkspark and TJ are out of the picture tomorrow. So, Mark, I think it's just you and me on Saturday. The field in Wheaton is OK . . . but lately I've been disappointed there due to the trees around it (and there's a row across most of the NE end of the field). What do you say to Greene Valley, top of the hill, roughly when it opens at 11 am? I'm picking it because of the altitude & hoping for better winds a couple hundred feet up on the ridge than the 3-5 mph forecast according to the noaa web site. I'll plan on going to the end where we had the IKE fly a couple weeks back (past the observation point).

Got your message little again, it's just been crazy schedule today and yesterday. I am still up for some flying tomorrow. This sounded so awesome and I am kinda pissed that I missed out...

Steve (goes to eleven) and I will probably fly somewhere tomorrow. Go to the "Who's flying what, where and when" post; there's nothing there right now, but keep an eye on it.
MARK

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Sat, Aug 06 2011, 08:49 PM

I am still in for something tomorrow. Shari has been digging the Indiana dunes, but that isn't set in stone. I would like to fly somewhere for a bit. Let me know where you are thinking and I will see if we can make it.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Aug 06 2011, 09:17 PM

Captain wrote:

Well, if you have to miss a day, this was probably it. Mark and I met up at the top the hill at Greene Valley, but the wind was VERY light and variable . . . from nothing to maybe 5 mph at the most. I didn't even unwrap any of my kites, the wind was that light. I don't think even a standard SUL would stay in the air today. Mark was very nice to let me fly one of his ultralight rev-style quads. It is a very light kite - so I thank him for showing up and loaning me the use of the kite. We'll see about tomorrow . . . I will post up in the weekly thread if I can fly tomorrow.

FlyAway

Postby FlyAway » Sun, Aug 07 2011, 07:43 AM

makatakam wrote:Hey TJ,
You haven't flown in a while. Wassup? Where do you usually fly in your area? Is there anywhere near you that will handle a half dozen revs on 120's?

It's the weather. Can't stand to be out in this kind of heat.

It is supposed to cool off some this week, so I'll try to get out and meet you and some of the others.

T.J.

Return to “Club & Quick Flys”