Club Fly - August 6th?

Invites, discussion and general information about IKE Club Fly events and quick flys.
prairierose

Re: Club Fly - August 6th?

Postby prairierose » Tue, Aug 02 2011, 03:59 PM

RevJB wrote:We can't make the fly, but couldn't pass up the opportunity to say

Congratulations Rose!

on your Masters degree.

Thanks!! :-D

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Wed, Aug 03 2011, 12:39 AM

prairierose wrote:

Congratulations Rose!

on your Masters degree.

I'm not even your mom OR DAD... and I'm proud as a peacock for you!
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Wed, Aug 03 2011, 02:26 PM

Jynx wrote:
prairierose wrote:

Congratulations Rose!

on your Masters degree.

I'm not even your mom OR DAD... and I'm proud as a peacock for you!

Congratulations -- Is that perchance a Master's in aeronautical engineering? Maybe the next one, huh?

Again -- congratulations!!!
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Wed, Aug 03 2011, 02:32 PM

If anyone who's coming to the 8-6 fly has a French bridle + magic sticks set-up, I'd love to try it. (yes, guilty of being all over the rev site) Tons of info that'll take much time to assimilate; hope I live long enough!

See you at the fly. Have we decided on the location yet?
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Aug 03 2011, 08:09 PM

makatakam wrote:If anyone who's coming to the 8-6 fly has a French bridle + magic sticks set-up, I'd love to try it. (yes, guilty of being all over the rev site) Tons of info that'll take much time to assimilate; hope I live long enough!

See you at the fly. Have we decided on the location yet?

I have the magic sticks, but they are not currently attached to a kite. Took them off to reduce weight - which ought to be music to your ears.

We have not decided on a location yet - I was hoping someone could check out the South Green Belt Forest Preserve. I'm thinking someplace south to split the distance to Darkspark. Northerly Island is always an alternative . . . and it sounds like it would probably work out for a couple other folks also. The downside to Northerly this weekend is there will be increased traffic downtown due to Lollapalooza in Grant Park. While I don't think the festival includes Northerly, I'll hazard a guess that the parking lot might be full. So, I'm leaning away from Northerly Island as an alternative. Anybody else want to suggest their favorite alternatives? I'd kind of like to check out the dunes / beach since I've never flown there, but it might be a bit tough for Captain to make it there given his commitment downtown until 3pm.

Oh yeah - and I'll pile on the Congrats Rose!!! Hope you got that thesis done!

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Wed, Aug 03 2011, 09:11 PM

If you haven't already been there go to the rev forum "modifications" , click french bridle. Very interesting, and the way I understand it, the increased lift more than compensates for the added weight. In addition they say axels, flic-flacs, float and other things become "no brainers". (Been working on axels lately?)

I promise I will get to Greene Belt? and check it out tomorrow or Friday and post what I find early, so we can consider if it's a site we'd like to fly.

It does sound like Northerly Island might become a traffic nightmare this weekend.
MARK

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Aug 04 2011, 06:28 AM

They were the hot topic a few years ago. Hector, who used to be on this forum but stopped flying kites due to family stuff, was a big fan of the French Bridle. They never went away though, Paul LeMasters was also into it the last time I talked to him. Paul also uses Magic Sticks on his kite. Paul flys lots of stock revs and also flies his own design call the Tirips (spirit spelled backwards).

It's used more often in European kites, probably because it's harder to get Revs over there and you see more home-made revs. Since people are making their own bridles from scratch there's more tweaking (like what you do).

It's worth re-visiting the topic. Let us know how it works for you. It shouldn't add any weight to change the bridle though?

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Thu, Aug 04 2011, 10:19 AM

Yes, I saw Hector's posts on the IKE forum. As a matter of fact I've read every post on the IKE forum and about 1/4 of the rev forum. The additional bridling will add some weight, but what's a gram between friends? The magic stick & bridle modification I have in mind will require four stand-off fittings (not the rod or the sail end), the ones found on the lower spreader on dual-line stunt deltas. I wanted to buy some at Chicago Kite when I was on my way to Montrose Harbor earlier this week, but Dave is at the Oshkosh air show and took the entire box of the fittings with him, so I may just end up cannibalizing my e2 & e3 temporarily, unless someone who's coming to the 8-6 fly has a bunch they can sell me. I can make the necessary modifications to my 1.5 sle sail, yes, I'm going to cut it up some more, (why stop when you're on a roll, right? [or is it a bun?]), and fabricate the stand-off rods/tubes (haven't decided which yet, maybe I'll make both), and add the fittings on-site. The "French bridle" I have in mind is different than what you're familiar with. I want to make it a simple 2-minute addition to the existing rev bridle. I think I'll call it the "Polish Connection". :rotfl
MARK

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Aug 04 2011, 12:22 PM

For the magic sticks, send a PM to David Kovacs (cadguy on our forum).
He created a standoff that impressed even Paul LeMasters. I don't know if he can make them in bulk, but it's pretty cool.

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Thu, Aug 04 2011, 12:31 PM

It is looking more and more like I may be occupied this weekend. I have a friend from Colorado who will be visiting on Saturday. If I can make it it will be in the morning for a few hours. Don't pick a location for me, Pick wherever is convenient for everyone else. If I can make it for a bit I don't have a problem driving. As matter of fact I just got some shiny new shoes for my subie. Dunlop Direzas. They are in desperate need of a few good heat cycles anyhow. :twisted: :twisted:

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Thu, Aug 04 2011, 09:01 PM

Mike wrote:For the magic sticks, send a PM to David Kovacs (cadguy on our forum).
He created a standoff that impressed even Paul LeMasters. I don't know if he can make them in bulk, but it's pretty cool.

I'll keep that in mind.

Meanwhile, here's the scoop on South Green Belt Forest Preserve: I flew there today and talked to some of the rc airplane guys. The rc flying area north of Flossmoor Road is gone! The parking lot is still there, but the landing strip and the expansive mown areas were intentionally replaced by wetlands/prairie about two years ago, same with the area south of Flossmoor Road. The open area north and south of the road is absolutely monstrous, huge, unbelievably big!!! Unfortunately, it's all covered with waist-high vegetation.

The new rc field is 3/8 mile south of Flossmoor Road and a mile east on Cicero (rte.50). There's enough room for 4-6 kites on weekdays, but the only mown areas are where the rc guys fly their fixed-wing, control line & helicopters. Those are the only mown areas, so co-existence is possible during the week, out of the question on weekends. The new rc area is not even vaguely close to size of the old one, but still big enough (about the size of the kite area at Busse Woods) so you can get decent wind from any direction. I would rate it "7" on weekdays, "0" on weekends.

Drove around the area north south and west of there out to Lemont and found two decent fields, the one at 156th and Pulaski in Markham is Midlothian Meadows Forest Preserve has a good sized field just inside the south entrance, but is surrounded by trees and probably chock-full of people on weekends, the other is in Lemont at McCarthy & Walker, combination park and developer's property and it would probably be best to check with the developer to see if it's ok to fly there, all mown grass, room for 6-12 revs.

Another idea crossed my mind on the way home: I used to fly rc gliders with S.O.A.R. and I believe they're flying at a sod farm in Plainfield (huge). I'll see if they have website & forum, and post here when I know.
Last edited by makatakam on Thu, Aug 04 2011, 09:52 PM, edited 1 time in total.
MARK

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Thu, Aug 04 2011, 09:16 PM

Just checked the S.O.A.R. website and you have to be a member of borh the AMA (american modelers association) and SOAR to use the property. Bummer. I believe there are public areas around Plainfield that huge and flat. I'll check it out, but for now, let's pick a location for Saturday.
MARK

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Aug 04 2011, 11:20 PM

You are right, let's pick a location. Mark, in appreciation of your efforts to check out the site, and the miles you put on your car to do so, I think you get to choose the location and the start time. I'm fine with your home field (Busse Woods) for the fly, or any other location you'd prefer.

And . . . (edit) . . I just looked at the weather forecast for Saturday and the winds are looking light to calm. Sunday looks better . . . who can make it Sunday?

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Fri, Aug 05 2011, 11:54 AM

Ok, 6:00am, Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada. :raspberry: If you start driving before 4:00pm today you can make it! The top of the hill (more like a butte) is a great place to fly.

All kidding aside, I just looked at the weather forecast. There's a 30% chance of scattered/local showers for both Saturday & Sunday, temps 85-88, 68% humidity both days. The only difference is wind, ENE6 for Saturday, SW15 for Sunday. I can fly anywhere, either day, so I recommend a location as centrally located to all who are coming so no one has to drive more than 45min to 1hr. I think somewhere between Wheaton & Kankakee would be good for all. As I've stated so often: "have kites, will travel -- anywhere, any time, any day".

Also, flying closest to the person who other commitments makes sense.
MARK

FlyAway

Postby FlyAway » Fri, Aug 05 2011, 05:13 PM

I'm out for Saturday. Family obligation came up. Not sure about Sunday.

T.J.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Aug 05 2011, 05:49 PM

OK, so we are down to me, Makatakam, Captain (but not 1-3 pm) and possibly Darkspark (in the morning). FlyAway is looking like a "no." Winds are looking light tomorrow, better on Sunday but with a possibility of storms. Directive from my wife is that I must choose a day . . . can't fly both days due to a visit from sister-in-law and my niece. I might be able to negotiate some flying both days . . . . by limiting the total hours. My thoughts are:
Saturday - light winds forecast - Northerly Island by 9 am or so (because Lollapalooza starts at 11:30 am) so that Captain (and maybe Darkspark) can join us. Second choice is Greene Valley (top of the hill to search for winds above the plains). The hill opens at 11 and closes at 6 pm, but I'd have to leave by 4 pm (and probably before that if I want to fly Sunday).
Sunday - better wind forecast - I have to be downtown by about 5 pm anyway . . . so . . . I may be able to negotiate some flying time at Northerly between 2 & 5 pm. No idea what parking will be like, but I may be able to get dropped off, so parking won't matter.

I'll PM y'all to see what you say (in case you haven't been following the thread).

Let me know your votes!

Edit: I PM'd the people who said they will or could possibly fly this weekend. Once I hear back (or they post in the thread), I will post a final decision on location and time(s) in the thread. Hope to fly tomorrow and/or Sunday.

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Fri, Aug 05 2011, 06:19 PM

I am good for sunday wherever. I do like Northerly, but it will be a little crazy up there. It might not be to bad at the park though. The concerts are a ways away. Traffic will be the biggest hang-up. The winds are not going to be out of a good direction for sunday at northerly. Anybody interested in going to the dunes? I had a great time there, and the wind will be off-shore, or down the beach. Any rate sunday wherever.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Fri, Aug 05 2011, 08:17 PM

Saturday ene winds would be "right down the alley" at that ex-race track in ?Wheaton?. Like I said, I'm in both days anywhere, just let me know where.
MARK

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Aug 05 2011, 11:33 PM

OK, well, it's 11:30 pm, and I haven't heard from Captain, and it looks like Darkspark and TJ are out of the picture tomorrow. So, Mark, I think it's just you and me on Saturday. The field in Wheaton is OK . . . but lately I've been disappointed there due to the trees around it (and there's a row across most of the NE end of the field). What do you say to Greene Valley, top of the hill, roughly when it opens at 11 am? I'm picking it because of the altitude & hoping for better winds a couple hundred feet up on the ridge than the 3-5 mph forecast according to the noaa web site. I'll plan on going to the end where we had the IKE fly a couple weeks back (past the observation point).

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Sat, Aug 06 2011, 07:01 AM

I'll see you there. You might want to post a map link here for the other guys who might want to come. I'd post it, but I haven''t figured it out yet. (Been too busy trying to digest all the info on the rev site.)
MARK

Return to “Club & Quick Flys”