Who is flying what, where and when this week 7/24-7/30

Invites, discussion and general information about IKE Club Fly events and quick flys.
goestoeleven

Re: Who is flying what, where and when this week 7/24-7/30

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Jul 28 2011, 03:59 PM

Accidentally buried a kite in the ocean today . . . luckily not too far off the beach. Got it back, shook it off, and back in the air. Lots of sun & wind today! Flew vented on 120s on the furthest top knot and shortest bottom knot, and it was still not quite enough brake. Hope to get back out in a little bit.

Edit: Make that buried a kite in the ocean . . . for a second time. Wasn't paying attention and buried another one at sea . . . . too much fun for the second hour and a half session.
Last edited by goestoeleven on Thu, Jul 28 2011, 11:17 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Elix

Postby Elix » Thu, Jul 28 2011, 07:55 PM

Finally got back in the air again this evening for about 30 sweaty minutes. In an effort to be seen and possibly recruit, I went to a local park which unfortunately has a tree line all around the perimeter. As a result, the decent aloft wind speeds were negated by near-ground swirliness. Stayed in the air most of the time, though. Switched over to 2 wrap sticks halfway through and might just stay that way for Indiana flying until I get race frames. I seemed to get better climb response from my low-wind line tugs. There was a funny moment when I was at the very top of the window hovering, when the wind just instantly stopped. I know this because suddenly my kite was falling straight over my head, up-wind, like I'd just tried to initiate a catch. So down my kite is plummeting on 80 foot lines. I thought well I can't run upwind fast enough to fix this, so why not jog upwind to try and catch it! Well the wind came back about halfway through the decent and made me just look silly since I was no where near the eventual landing site. Happy to be in the air though. Wind, don't be a stranger!
Chris

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Jul 29 2011, 07:35 AM

makatakam wrote:I'm at home now and I'm gonna start tweaking the blk/red 1.5 sle again. I know it's a bad habit, but not one I can break 'til I get it flying "Mark-style". Also thinking of playing with the delta-shaped quad-line foil I built 3 years ago (remember that one Mike?

Yup, I remember it. Tweaking is fun--good luck!

Elix

Postby Elix » Fri, Jul 29 2011, 08:11 PM

Got a little over 90 minutes in this afternoon. Very hot with winds ranging from zero to 18 mph, with about a 120 degree range in direction. Got a little worried for my 2-wrap spars' safety a few times but was always quick enough to release the brake in gusts. I'm sure eventually I'll lose that little game and be forced to upgrade to a race frame =)
Chris

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Jul 29 2011, 09:43 PM

Got in a couple hours myself as well in the mid-day heat here. In my case, I started out with a SUL & 2 wraps & ended up with a vented on three wraps as the wind was building during the middle of the day. After coming really close to the water and touching / skimming it several times, I dropped the kite into the ocean again while sliding the vented when the winds lightened up a bit :censored: . Then this evening my daughter put the SUL into the water. I'm getting good at fishing kites out of the water, althought I'd rather not be doing it quite as many times as I have now . . . I wish the beach was a bit wider (or I'll have to learn how to back the kite out of the water - water pulls a bit more than air! :oops: ).

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Fri, Jul 29 2011, 11:29 PM

My advice- Watch a couple videos of someone water flying. Then go out and land in it on purpose. Start slow by backing it in halfway or so, then do wingtips. After a bit you wont have a problem just flying in and out. It is my favorite thing to do, it is why I like flying at the beach so much. Just wait till there is a decent breeze so you wont struggle getting that last bit of lift needed to jump a wet kite out of the water.

Elix

Postby Elix » Sat, Jul 30 2011, 05:34 PM

Do you water fliers have to slowly walk backwards once most of the kite is submerged to keep the sail full and responsive to handle inputs?
Chris

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Jul 30 2011, 07:20 PM

I've mostly done it in rivers and oceans so I've walked forwards and backwards depending on the current. Water is thick, so it doesn't take much to get pressure.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Jul 30 2011, 09:23 PM

Good advice . . . . I'll have to give water flying a try sometime . . . when the waves are not crashing into the kite. I got a bit nervous when I didn't immediately get it back up out of the water. Once it's flat I was pretty much out of luck.

Anybody go to QC for the RAGBRAI? How was the flying?

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Sat, Jul 30 2011, 11:23 PM

I went to the QC RAGBRAI today. It's 10:20 pm now. Just came through the door 5 minutes ago. I was the only one to set any quad-lines; the other guys pretty much had their hands full trying to keep the flexifoils up. I helped a bit now and then getting them back up. The wind was blowing from the souteast (from Illinois), so it was pretty crummy; would get up to 7mph and then drop to 2 mph, so the big boys would fly, then drop. The four foils Jim built are beautiful. I didn't get pictures because I was so busy packing kites, lines and handles befor I left this morning that I forgot to grab my phone and camera. :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: We've got to get Jim to build an IKE foil and have the people who did the graphics on the "BIX7" and the "RAGBRAI" do the artwork. You'll know why when you see them in person. I hope the people who sponsored their making let Jim show off his handiwork for a while before they claim them. A definite "must see" ! ! !

I started out with a home-made sul copy (the green & purple on white, which I promise I'll take a picture of and post this coming week), switched to the blk/red 1.5 sle w/3-wrap on 120'x90# when the wind improved, and then set up my newest build (blue-purple-red/white lattice) -- which still needs some adjustments -- on 80'x50# which handled the ups & downs of wind speed quite nicely. The other guys flew the quads I set up only briefly, because, as I mentioned, they were busy trying to keep the foils flying. The flying area was rather small and not cordoned off, so there were people walking and riding their bicycles across the field (and the kite lines) constantly. It would be be a major improvement to flying and safety if access to the kiting area is restricted in the future.

Had the opportunity to show off how bad I am at flying to four young local gentlemen who were amazed at what you can do with a quad-liner. They each got the chace to fly the 1.5 sle a few times 'til they started "overthinking" what they were doing, plus the wind started "crapping out". We may have 4 converts to the dark side.

Centennial Park is in the downtown area of Davenport, across rte.67 from the baseball stadium, not in Eldridge where I went first after GOOGLING it. I can't believe they have TWO Centennial Parks that close together. That's got to be confusing to a lot of people! Only in Iowa? The park in Eldridge, literally 5 miles north, is a "sandlot", with trees scattered all over it, and I'm thinking "Where can you fly a quad-line here in addition to four large foils?", about 2-acre lot. So, I pulled over a policeman by following him and beeping my horn, and then asked where I should go, and to my great surprise he didn't say "hell". Iowan cops are nice people!!! and very helpful.

Personal note to Steve: think of water as REALLY thick air, and waves (or surf) as a 180 degree shift in direction.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Sat, Jul 30 2011, 11:34 PM

I have a 1.8 I may consider selling you Mark. I don't fly it much anymore. It has a small hole in one of the cells. I am sure you would have no problem repairing it.

Shari and I went to Michigan city, to Washington Park beach. We got to fly for a few hours in in a wonderful 7-8mph offshore breeze. Sooooo nice. I will say I like the National dunes lake shore better for flying. It was alot more crowded at Washington park. No chance to get even close to the water. At the lakeshore they don't allow swimming past 5 or 6 so it empties out quickly in the afternoon. All in all a good day!

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Sat, Jul 30 2011, 11:39 PM

That is wierd.... my previous post ended up in the wrong thread somehow. I was on the other "who what where thread" and it landed here?? Tech Support.......Paging I.T. guy... :-D .

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Sun, Jul 31 2011, 08:39 AM

A 1.8 what? Symphony?
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Sun, Jul 31 2011, 11:03 AM

yup, HQ symphony

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Sun, Jul 31 2011, 01:53 PM

Well, I headed south on 53 from Schaumburg to 113 south to Kankakee. I'm sitting at a picnic table in Limestone Park if anyone wants to join me. Wind is 0-4mph right now.
MARK

Return to “Club & Quick Flys”