WK100 Foil

Questions and conversations related to sewing up a magnificent kite creation.
Jeepster

WK100 Foil

Postby Jeepster » Fri, Jul 08 2011, 05:00 PM

This spring brought another kite build from Barry Olgetree. This one is a 100 sq ft foil of his own design that addresses the overflying issue of some foils. After completing it, I found that although it didn't overfly, it did need tails for stability. Based on the guidance of others, I bought a pair of custom tails from Gomberg ... 12 inch diameter by 65 feet long. I bought them 'cuz, I couldn't buy the fabric for what he offered them at. After flying them here in the mid-west, I found that there were way too much tail for the lighter winds we have.

After kicking around several concepts, I stumbled upon the idea of making the tail look like a crayon. Dug around in the scrap bin and came up with enough red to make a single tail 11 inches in diameter by 11 feet long. Had to ignore the grain direction and had to finally decide to do some applique. The red tail is the first one completed. Decided to drop the color name from the emblem and applique an emblem on both sides of the crayon. Once that one was finished I decided to try one more. Found enough dark blue in the scrap bin, so built the second one.

Here's what I learned:

1) Applique is a lot of work! Fun, but time consuming.

2) Use contrasting colors for applique work ... black on dark blue was a mistake. Black on red is the right idea. Will probably build two more this winter ... orange and yellow!

3) Having a number of crayon tails is an advantage. I built them so that they can be linked in a line. Thus, they can be used one on each corner or two in a row off the middle. With a couple more crayon tails, that will broaden the wind range considerably. One looks a little overpowering on the mini-mock, but it works.

4) When your new/old sewing machine starts going clunk-clunk, you should have oiled the bobbin hook an hour or two ago. Just about had a heart attack on that one!

Anyway, today was a terrible day for flying, but a beautiful day for pictures. Took a half hour of standing in the middle of the field waiting for the wind to pick up to get this picture. Flying SLKs has some of the same characteristics as flying quads.

Cheers,
Tom

Crayon-2-sm.jpg
WK100 w/ crayon tails
Crayon-2-sm.jpg (205.24 KiB) Viewed 4371 times

prairierose

Re: WK100 Foil

Postby prairierose » Fri, Jul 08 2011, 05:13 PM

Love the crayons!!!
Beautiful work, Jeepster, what a delight to look at!

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Fri, Jul 08 2011, 05:16 PM

It is gorgeous! So If the crayons are 11' long that makes the whole kite Huge! It is always hard to get some scale in a picture.
Very nice work!

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Jul 08 2011, 06:39 PM

Beautiful! Nice work.

Elix

Postby Elix » Sat, Jul 09 2011, 07:27 AM

Yeah, you can technically call it an SLK, but that's no schoolboy toy. Awesome work on the kite and the creative tails. Hope to see it in person some day.
Chris

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Jul 09 2011, 10:52 PM

Nice kite (and tails)! :up: I'll bet it pulls a bit! (assuming you get some wind)

I also hope to see it in person some day.

backdraft

Postby backdraft » Thu, Jul 14 2011, 01:13 PM

Looks great Tom!!!!! Even better then you described.

Big Mike

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Thu, Jul 14 2011, 09:47 PM

COOOOOOOOL!!!!

I bet I could trim about a pund off of it for those lighter wind days, like my blk/red 1.5 sle. ;) ;)
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Fri, Jul 15 2011, 10:36 AM

makatakam wrote:... I bet I could trim about a pund off of it for those lighter wind days, like my blk/red 1.5 sle. ;) ;)

Oh, but it's already been lightened to make this Rev-like progressive stack.

Progressive.jpg
Progressive.jpg (223.87 KiB) Viewed 4324 times

Almost looks like the real thing doesn't it? But, the largest kite in the stack is smaller than a Rev II.

Cheers,
Tom

Elix

Postby Elix » Fri, Jul 15 2011, 10:40 AM

Wow, I'd like to see a video of that stack moving around, and also of it on the ground next to someone for scale reference. Looks very sharp!
Chris

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Fri, Jul 15 2011, 11:35 AM

Do videos, but here's a picture of the "half-pint" stack next to Mike Kory's standard progressive stack.

Cheeers,
Tom

Duo - Flying.jpg
Duo - Flying.jpg (125.49 KiB) Viewed 4321 times

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Fri, Jul 15 2011, 11:43 AM

Jeepster wrote:
makatakam wrote:... I bet I could trim about a pund off of it for those lighter wind days, like my blk/red 1.5 sle. ;) ;)

Oh, but it's already been lightened to make this Rev-like progressive stack.

Progressive.jpg

Almost looks like the real thing doesn't it? But, the largest kite in the stack is smaller than a Rev II.

Cheers,
Tom

AWESOME set... and photo too!!!! :up:
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Fri, Aug 05 2011, 07:15 PM

Finished a new WK100 this afternoon. Barry added a lifter design to the WK100 line of kites. He normally cuts out the ripstop, but instead sent me the keel and rib profiles because I wanted to make a cross color kite. Here's a picture of the first flight this afternoon. As is usual when one has a new kite, the winds were terrible and the sky was too cloudy for good pictures. Here's one that turned out okay.

Notice the influence of Tony? If not, then you need to look at his website. Look under the "Kites For Sale" tab and then scroll down a page or two. See one in person and you'll fall in love with it!!

Cheers,
Tom

08 - First flight - s.jpg
08 - First flight - s.jpg (193.5 KiB) Viewed 4297 times

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Fri, Aug 05 2011, 08:24 PM

"But can it core a apple, oh chef of the future?" :up:
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Aug 05 2011, 10:31 PM

Beautiful kite! Really impressive - and I hope I get to see it in person sometime soon. Are you going to be at any of the fall kite festivals?

BTW, I wish I knew about the folks in Wataga last summer. My dad was renting a place near Galesburg last summer and I went down there several times - and Amtrak goes right through Wataga (but it doesn't stop). My father grew up near there, but I think that was the last summer he'll be up here in Illinois. Of course, I didn't even know about IKE last summer . . . . so it's been a big year for me with kiting.

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Aug 06 2011, 06:19 AM

Wow, that's really nice, Tom.
How many kites have you made this year? If we just flew this years kites it would fill the sky.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sat, Aug 06 2011, 01:12 PM

goestoeleven wrote:Beautiful kite! Really impressive - and I hope I get to see it in person sometime soon. Are you going to be at any of the fall kite festivals?

BTW, I wish I knew about the folks in Wataga last summer. My dad was renting a place near Galesburg last summer and I went down there several times - and Amtrak goes right through Wataga (but it doesn't stop). My father grew up near there, but I think that was the last summer he'll be up here in Illinois. Of course, I didn't even know about IKE last summer . . . . so it's been a big year for me with kiting.

Planning on going to Kites over Lake Michigan, and of course, the QC kite festival. Not sure about any of the others. We're off to WSIKF this Saturday. Never been, so it'll be a new experience. I think Tony is planning on attending the QC festival ... you might e-mail him and ask.

Cheers,
RTom

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sat, Aug 06 2011, 01:21 PM

Mike wrote:Wow, that's really nice, Tom.
How many kites have you made this year? If we just flew this years kites it would fill the sky.

Think I've made eight foil kites in the last year ... from several 5 sq footers to one 190 sq footer and a few inbetween. Let's see, that's about 525 sq ft of kites to fly.

One of the Kitebuilder.com members from Canada just made a single kite that comes out at 500 sq ft!!! With tail, it really fills the sky.

Now IKE members have to work on Big Mike to sew up his Pit Bull Dog ... ask him how he's doing the next time you see him. When he finishes it, we'll have three Pit Bull Dogs in the club to fly at a festival.

Cheers,
Tom

Mux11

Postby Mux11 » Mon, Sep 19 2011, 10:42 AM

These WK100's are AWESOME! Probably my favorite kite right now.
Did 4 custom printed and started #5 to have for this weekend!!! Pictures to come.
James

Return to “Sewing”