I want....

Check here to see what's been going on with the forum software
Elix

Re: I want....

Postby Elix » Wed, Jun 29 2011, 09:37 AM

If a post has XX replies, I'd call that a "Hot Topic"
It could be from a year ago, with no new replies since, making "Active" seem like the wrong word.

I accept returns on all my 2 cent comments if you are not satisfied!
Chris

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jun 29 2011, 09:41 AM

Well, evidently there's confusion about the difference between New and Active topics, so I took a brief look at the code.
New topics shows topics that have new posts since you last logged in. If you log in and out every time you visit the forums, that works. If you ticked that little checkbox to stay logged in all the time, I'm not sure what the "New" does.--> Edit: it appears to show today's topics if you're constantly logged in and check in every day (like some of us)

Active Topics will show topics that only have one post and zero replies within the given time period. However it seems to miss some topics that have many posts and replies.
I may have to look deeper within the code. -->Edit: fixed (see posts below if you care about the details)

Stay tuned, while I/we figure this out...

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jun 29 2011, 09:52 AM

There's a tedious process to turn on Active Topics for each forum. I'm in the process of doing that right now...

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jun 29 2011, 10:08 AM

Yup, some forum info didn't transfer from the old forum to the new forum.
Active topics will display any topics with postings in the last X days.

At least once I get through checking each individual forum...

The Hot Topic / Popular Topic thing is what Jeff was thinking of. It'll change the icon of a topic that's has more than 10 replies.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Wed, Jun 29 2011, 03:03 PM

Geez, go on vacation for a week and you guys redecorate the house. Normally, I would whine and cry about IT folks not leaving things alone, but this looks like a much more manageable forum now.

Love ... Yes, love the new process for posting pictures. The albums showed lots of pictures when the forum was first up and running ... but, over the last year or so not many pictures were added. I think that was because of the various steps involved ... what with sizing, saving, and finally posting. That's a very good change.

Have the 180GO! discussions been taken off the "unread" listing? It was confusing for a newbie and then irritating for an oldbie to see an unread posting that I couldn't find.

Cheers,
Tom

BS PS ...

Got anything for a dumbphone? You know, one of those that only takes phone calls? Someday I'll join the 21st century and get a data phone, but just not today. Glad you're making access through a smart phone easier.

Can you stop those damn smilies from jumping around while I'm trying to write a reply? I feel like I'm writing in the middle of a kindergarten full of ADD kids.

How about new Rev smilie that's updated to the B-series? Isn't the old SLE outdated?

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Wed, Jun 29 2011, 03:31 PM

Look at me, Tom!

I'm on your lawn!!

:-D

Elix

Postby Elix » Wed, Jun 29 2011, 03:49 PM

Jeff wrote:Look at me, Tom!

I'm on your lawn!!

: D

Comment Favorited. :bash:
Chris

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jun 29 2011, 04:17 PM

First of all, Jeff, absolutely hilarious.

Second, Jeepster, in all seriousness, some good points.
I welcome all feedback. I truly want to hear it.

Jeepster wrote:Geez, go on vacation for a week and you guys redecorate the house. Normally, I would whine and cry about IT folks not leaving things alone, but this looks like a much more manageable forum now.

That was our goal, glad it's better.

Jeepster wrote:Love ... Yes, love the new process for posting pictures. The albums showed lots of pictures when the forum was first up and running ... but, over the last year or so not many pictures were added. I think that was because of the various steps involved ... what with sizing, saving, and finally posting. That's a very good change.

Simplifying and removing confusing photo uploading options was a major reason for the updgrade.
I hope to add some sort of slide show that displays photos that are attached to posts.
One consequence of upgrading the forum is that there were several hundred posts that I had to modify by hand so that posted photos showed up again. It was a nostalgia trip seeing many of the old photos. I may have to write my own software to display those in a slide show.

Jeepster wrote:Have the 180GO! discussions been taken off the "unread" listing? It was confusing for a newbie and then irritating for an oldbie to see an unread posting that I couldn't find.

That was a bug, among many, in the old forum software. Hopefully it's fixed. Let me know if it's otherwise.

Jeepster wrote:Got anything for a dumbphone?

Nope, time to sit with the cool kids. I would argue that the iPhone is easier to use, the Android is more flexible.

Jeepster wrote:Can you stop those damn smilies from jumping around while I'm trying to write a reply? I feel like I'm writing in the middle of a kindergarten full of ADD kids.

They bug me too. It's temporary.

Jeepster wrote:How about new Rev smilie that's updated to the B-series? Isn't the old SLE outdated?

Your choice:
A: I don't believe in the B-series.
B: The SLE is a part of history, we shouldn't change it.
C: I'm too lazy to change it.
D: I should change it to the 180GO! style rev (An SLE paneled sail with a custom design)
E: All of the above.

Great to have you back, Tom. We missed you.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Wed, Jun 29 2011, 04:39 PM

I'm on your lawn!!

Somehow that's easy to believe!!!

I've always loved this youtube video. There's more truth in it than most would believe.

Thanks for your hard work guys ... it might be a labor of love, but it's still a lot of work and appreciated.

Cheers,
Tom

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Wed, Jun 29 2011, 04:49 PM

Mike wrote:...
Jeepster wrote:How about new Rev smilie that's updated to the B-series? Isn't the old SLE outdated?

Your choice:
A: I don't believe in the B-series.
B: The SLE is a part of history, we shouldn't change it.
C: I'm too lazy to change it.
D: I should change it to the 180GO! style rev (An SLE paneled sail with a custom design)
E: All of the above.

Great to have you back, Tom. We missed you.

The BS PS was just that ... full of bull ... however ...

A) After all that planning and research and testing? Hmmm.

B) Yes, it is a part of history, but so are dinosaurs and we don't keep them in the backyard ... thankfully. However, if you really would like to keep an SLE, then how about updating it to this century. Say a McKite do-over!!!

C) Yes, but what else have you got to do for excitement?

D) That sounds like a great idea ... short of a McKite do-over, this one's the best.

E) When I plot the alternatives with a Venn Diagram, it seems that "E" isn't in an area of overlap ... have to throw that one out.

It is good to be back in town. Loved flying on the beach in Cabo ... 100 feet from the room to the casita for food and drink. Another 20 feet to the sand for flying. Lots of great flying. And, this past week in Michigan with family was also great. But, good to be home.

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jun 29 2011, 04:51 PM

So, the smileys are better Jeepster?
Hit "View more smilies" to see all the animated ones on the first page.
:getoff:

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Wed, Jun 29 2011, 05:02 PM

Mike wrote:So, the smileys are better Jeepster?
Hit "View more smilies" to see all the animated ones on the first page.
:getoff:

Ah yes ... isn't Prozac wonderful? Opps, caught one of them moving his eyes and turning the pages.

Cheers,
Tom

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Wed, Jun 29 2011, 05:11 PM

Jeepster wrote:

I'm on your lawn!!

Somehow that's easy to believe!!!

I've always loved this youtube video. There's more truth in it than most would believe.

Thanks for your hard work guys ... it might be a labor of love, but it's still a lot of work and appreciated.

Cheers,
Tom

Since you posted a YouTube link, that's a good opportunity to let everyone know about the new video embedding code. If you look in the toolbar while composing a note, you'll see an icon that looks like an old movie projector.

Click that, and enter your link in the dialog box. You can indicate which video sharing service you are using, but 90% of the time, it's YouTube.

What you'll get in the post is a nicely embedded video. 8-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPgV6-gnQaE
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jun 29 2011, 05:20 PM

Right, and it's much easier than the old forum. You don't need to figure out ID #'s or anything. Just paste in the whole link: (
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPgV6-gnQaE&feature=fvst
)

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jun 29 2011, 05:29 PM

Jeepster wrote:
Mike wrote:Opps, caught one of them moving his eyes and turning the pages.

Got it.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Jun 29 2011, 05:29 PM

While I like the embedded videos and pictures, I have another "I want" (from someone who doesn't want to have to edit code) - is there any way to make the default for links to open a new window instead of going to the site? When I clicked Jeepster's original youtube link, it left IKE . . . . and I'd like to keep my place in IKE instead of having to go back. Then I can keep reading while the other site loads :-).

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jun 29 2011, 06:06 PM

I'll give it some thought, but I prefer it this way.
Most browsers will open a link in a new window or tab if you middle-click or control-click or command-click on a link.
If we leave the forum the way it is, it puts you in control. You open it in a new window if you want, or not, depending on how you click.

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jun 29 2011, 06:07 PM

Jeepster--it's just for today. Couldn't help myself.
(hit Reply Post)

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Wed, Jun 29 2011, 07:31 PM

Nerd humor is the best!!!

Cheers mate,
Tom

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Wed, Jun 29 2011, 10:44 PM

My new favorite smiley. :-D

:onlawn: