What did you fly this week? 2011 - June 26 - July 2nd

General conversation and discussion about the IKE Club.
goestoeleven

What did you fly this week? 2011 - June 26 - July 2nd

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Jun 28 2011, 12:35 AM

So . . . in the interest of drumming up some conversation - let's hear what you flew this week! Hopefully I'm going to hear more than "crickets," and maybe we can all try to post up weekly going forward.

So far, I'm having a good week for flying.
Sunday was beautiful - I enjoyed Kankakee's Limestone part with Shari & Mikey for a few hours. I flew the purple/gold/black full sail standard 1.5 rev with 3 wraps on 120s in winds (mostly) from the east / southeast.
Monday - flew the "home" field in west winds with the full vented 1.5 with 3 wraps on 120s. Wind was a bit variable for full vented by the time I got out there, but it was good practice nonetheless. I read somewhere that if your handle brake is set right, you'll have to work a bit to maintain upright horizontal hover - that was the case tonight for a bit, so maybe I'm learning something about setting up.

Jeff

Re: What did you fly this week? 2011 - June 26 - July 2nd

Postby Jeff » Tue, Jun 28 2011, 09:13 AM

I wish I had more time to fly, but I haven't had any since Jamestown. :(
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jun 28 2011, 09:54 AM

That handle setup is true for the Americans who follow John Barresi's lead. It's the way I do it too.
When I flew in England in the big grid formation for what was then a world record, I found that's not what the European and British teams did.
When we were in a holding pattern in the grid, they called for an upright horizontal hover. You could spot the iQuad kites kites because we were all pumping a bit to keep our position, where that was an easy neutral for the others.

Elix

Postby Elix » Tue, Jun 28 2011, 11:47 AM

Monday afternoon, I took an hour break from work, took the stairs to the roof of our building, and tried my luck at flying my no-name quad up there. I had high hopes of smooth, clean air. The roof is quite large as this is a pretty good sized factory. Once I stepped out into the sun, I noticed two problems right away. They were a large wall 50 feet to my west and a large wall 50 feet to my east. Since I'd last been on the roof, our company had built some expansions, and these were an extra story taller than where I was. I didn't feel like climbing them as well, plus the wind was out of the south so I figured me and my wind tunnel should be fine. The roof is a gently rolling surface of painted tar, with drains in the valleys, and a few obstacles here and there. I was able to find a nice spot to walk around without busting my rump.

OK next 3 problems: no staking up here, no friction on the smooth surface, and long puddles of water due to poor draining of a 75 year old building. I wedged my stake into one of the drains and it held well enough. Yay progress! Pulled out my string across a dry path, and tried to get the kite to stand. By the time I was back at my handles, the kite was down. I began a 15 minute struggle of applying tips from Jon B's videos for relaunching a flat kite and re-dragging the kite into a usable position. Unfortunately I ended up getting the kite, my strings, and my handles drug through multiple nasty stagnant water puddles. Cussing ensued, but the nearby industrial air conditioners running full blast made it hard to hear myself think, let alone talk.

Finally, the kite is in the air! Oh my lord, the twists. After the dragging dance back and forth across the roof my lines are a ridiculous sight, but there's no way I'm bringing her back down to undo the twists... I decide to just fix it in air. So I'm twirling a handle, recovering from the dive I just caused, giving another 360, now another handle spin, now passing the left handle through the strings of the right! Eventually the lines are straight but still wet from the puddles so she's flying like an Acme safe. All in all the winds have been very strong up to this point which has been very helpful for my soggy strands. So now I'm re-focused and ready to apply technique. I work on straight up and straight down to get a feel for any changes in wind direction based on altitude. Seems pretty constant the whole way up. I got lucky that the wind and my nearby walls were in agreement. But after about 30 minutes more the winds started to weaken and swirl to the point I couldn't stay in the air so it was time to pack up.

With 30 minutes wasted just getting in the air, I have to say this wasn't my best idea. Had I taken a friend with me the whole experience might have been much better. Shorter lines might have also helped (was using 70 foot) If I do try this again, I'll be sure to bring someone with me and I'll make the effort to climb to the higher level roof for potentially cleaner wind. But for most days I'll make do with the grass fields near the airport. They give much more consistent results, staking, friction for single person launching, and a much quieter noise level. But it was worth a shot!

Smooth winds,
Chris

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Jun 28 2011, 10:27 PM

Chris - Great to hear you got some flying in. Kudos for the effort to fly in a unique location. I've wondered if the tops of buildings are any good for flying . . . and it sounds like the effort to joy ratio is a bit high.

I also got to fly today (3 for 3 this week!). I went back out this evening for another hour or so at Busse Woods Forest Preserve. It was the first time I've flown there - nice big field, and . . . I get out of my car and there's Mark flying his black & red Rev along with several other kites! I had no idea he was going to be there, so it was a pleasant surprise to get to fly with someone else. There was another guy there who was flying a larger foil, and Mark was showing him how to fly Revs. I gave John an IKE card so hopefully we'll have a new member (and possible dark side quad line convert :twisted: ).

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jun 29 2011, 08:11 AM

Chris, that must have been quite a view for people passing by on the street!

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jun 29 2011, 08:13 AM

Wind forecast for today: 0-1 mph. I may wait until tomorrow.
My goal is to have backwards day. Or at least try to stick with it for an hour. I'll fly in reverse the entire time.
(But I'll drive the car forwards, I just mean backwards day for the kite!)

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Wed, Jun 29 2011, 09:11 AM

I flew Sunday. Monday, and yesterday. I don;t know if the wind will be strong enough today to keep the streak up. Yesterday couldn't have been nicer. I wish everyday was so nice.

Elix

Postby Elix » Wed, Jun 29 2011, 09:30 AM

Can't wait til I have a kite good enough to have a backwards day. My current bird can move about 5 feet in reverse before giving me an unplanned tip-flip. I am getting better at recovering from them though, so hopefully it'll be translatable disaster recovery training for my future Rev.

Flew again last night (only 2 for 3 since Sunday) in a grassy field. Winds were a little light for what I've got, maybe 5-8 with frequent 10+ gusts. The gusts were great for ripping around the sky and dive stop training. But I had several times when I just had to set down and wait for a little more oomph. Beautiful sky though, here in southern IN. Nothing but clear blue. Wife says I'm starting to get raccoon tan on my face. Might have to get a hat - I'm not usually outside this much! ;)
Chris

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jun 29 2011, 09:51 AM

Off Topic
We've got to get you together with another Rev flier! Maybe we can meet part way somewhere. Club fly in Terre Haute?

Elix

Postby Elix » Wed, Jun 29 2011, 11:28 AM

I'm hoping to meet Darkspark this weekend at the dunes if he can make it. I would make a post about making it a Club Fly, but I just don't know when I'll be flying and when I'll be doing family things like building sand castles with my son & wife.
Chris

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Wed, Jun 29 2011, 12:41 PM

So you know, Me and Shari are planning on driving up. I will watch the weather and figure out when the best time will be. It is going to be hot, so we will probably stay and fly for a couple hours. Know where you are gonna be yet?

Elix

Postby Elix » Wed, Jun 29 2011, 01:19 PM

We're staying at point A, and I'm assuming at first we'll drive to point B. After that, we're all Dune newbies. Any tips/advice would be welcome if you or anyone else has been there before. (especially if there's a spot that's better for kiting!)

http://bit.ly/iVsssA

We're open to any advice actually, including any fun spots to check out in the area, or places to eat. I believe Sunday night will be a drive to Mokena to feast at my favorite pizza place: Giordano's. It'll be a nice change to have the pizza fresh from the oven and not having to wait on FedEx to deliver it. :-P

What day will you be there? Our hotel won't allow check-ins before 3pm so we're planning on arriving in valpo around that time on Saturday. We'll be anxious to see the lake and get our feet sandy. Probably wouldn't be able to get the kite out until late afternoon/early evening. Sunday should be wide open during the day, ending with the dinner plans mentioned above. Thanks to Google, I also spy a ball diamond next to the hotel. If there's an evening breeze, and the lights are on, look out first night flight! :revspin:
Chris

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Wed, Jun 29 2011, 04:47 PM

I am not too familiar with the area. I will wait a couple days and see what day is going to have better wind. I think Saturday afternoon would work out the best for us. I will PM you or call and figure i out from there.I

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Jun 29 2011, 10:18 PM

Hey Chris - this is your chance to post up your first "quick fly" thread!

Back on topic . . . I'm going to count the 5 minutes of flailing tonight in 0-2 mph wind with the RWB 1.5 SUL on (Mikey's) 40ft lines as "flying" so I can be 4/4 this week. Didn't get out 'til late due to lawn mowing and daughter's softball. Tomorrow night is, however, looking pretty unlikely for a variety of reasons.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Thu, Jun 30 2011, 12:50 AM

Hi everyone. Finally got my id & pw fixed!!!!!!!! Thanks Steve. Thanks Mike. Have no clue what I'm doing so far, still need an avatar. (would something from the movie count?) Flew on Sunday, Tuesday & Wednesday at Turner Park in Roselle and Busse woods: Rev 1.5 sle, e2, e3, & zephyr. Just got the zephyr in the mail today -- it is SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Flew with Steve at Busse woods Tuesday evening, finally crossed rev lines without dropping out of the sky, yeehah. Flew three of my home- & semi-home-made quads Sunday and today. Tweaked the harness on my rev sle to see if I could improve inverted hover, its working. That's about it. Again, thanks to Mike & Steve for getting me going. All I need now is a t-shirt.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Thu, Jun 30 2011, 01:12 AM

Wow, several fliers hit Busse this week. I've flown there before, but not this season. I'll have to do so after work some time, as I'm right down the street practically during the day...
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Jun 30 2011, 07:46 AM

makatakam wrote:Hi everyone. Finally got my id & pw fixed!!!!!!!! Thanks Steve. Thanks Mike. Have no clue what I'm doing so far, still need an avatar. (would something from the movie count?) Flew on Sunday, Tuesday & Wednesday at Turner Park in Roselle and Busse woods: Rev 1.5 sle, e2, e3, & zephyr. Just got the zephyr in the mail today -- it is SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Flew with Steve at Busse woods Tuesday evening, finally crossed rev lines without dropping out of the sky, yeehah. Flew three of my home- & semi-home-made quads Sunday and today. Tweaked the harness on my rev sle to see if I could improve inverted hover, its working. That's about it. Again, thanks to Mike & Steve for getting me going. All I need now is a t-shirt.

Welcome to the forum Mark! Glad Mike was able to get you set.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Jun 30 2011, 07:51 AM

Jeff wrote:Wow, several fliers hit Busse this week. I've flown there before, but not this season. I'll have to do so after work some time, as I'm right down the street practically during the day...

Jeff (and Mark) - There's a (very) remote chance I'll stop there after work today. I talked to Mark about the possibility when we flew on Tuesday. I think Mark flies there a lot. If I can, I'll probably be there about 6:30 pm (as I'll be at work until about 6 pm). Again, chances are remote that I can do it today due to a lot of other things goind on . . . but I will try.

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Jun 30 2011, 07:56 AM

It's a 200 mile drive to Busse Woods for me, so I'm unlikely to make it :(
Mark, email me a photo or graphic that you'd like to be your avatar and I'll set it up for you.

Return to “Club Discussion”