Rejuvenating tired lines.

It's not just string any more. Talk about lines and line sets and anything else associated with them.
Darkspark

Rejuvenating tired lines.

Postby Darkspark » Sat, Jun 25 2011, 01:01 PM

I learned a new trick yesterday. I have been flying with the same set of lines since last fall. They have alot of hours on them, and were starting to get a little sticky. After they got three or four wraps in them they would tighten up pretty bad. I have a couple types of spray waxes I use on my car, it is basically nano-sized carnuba wax suspended in a water based solution. Before I rolled out my lines yesterday I sprayed the lines while they were on the winder. I sprayed enough to soak them all the way through. Then I rolled them out and flew them dry. It only took a couple minutes for them to dry. And what a difference! It was like having a brand new set again. I could get twice as many wraps before they even started to get sticky. I also see no reason the spray wouldn't help on newer lines also. There isn't anything in the spray that would hurt the lines. This is the wax I used.
quick wax.jpg
quick wax.jpg (6.77 KiB) Viewed 2160 times

Mike

Re: Rejuvenating tired lines.

Postby Mike » Sat, Jun 25 2011, 01:51 PM

I've tried spraying silicone without it making a big difference, but this looks promising.
Is this what you used? [amazon link]
Let us know how long it lasts.

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Sat, Jun 25 2011, 02:07 PM

That's the stuff. I think this would work also. Basically the same stuff, different brand.
http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-One-NanoWax ... 763&sr=1-2

Elix

Postby Elix » Mon, Jun 27 2011, 12:22 PM

The OP says "There isn't anything in the spray that would hurt the lines." Does that mean some spray waxes contain something that will degrade the material? If I step in to the local auto-parts store and don't see either one of those, can you tell me what ingredients to avoid? Thanks!
Chris

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Mon, Jun 27 2011, 01:21 PM

I would think you would be able to find one or the other at wallmart, or elsewhere. I think any water based spray wax would be ok. I use both regularly on my car and have never had problems finding one or the other. As long as it is not a cleaner-wax. Just wax.
Update. I now have about 7-8 hours on the lines since spraying them and they are still working well. Still much better than before the spray job.

Elix

Postby Elix » Mon, Jun 27 2011, 03:42 PM

Good information, thanks. I have some cheap lines that never were very slick. (Four 360's and they're just about too bound up to recover) I'll try the wax to see if it makes them any better. Cheers! :revspin:
Chris

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Jun 27 2011, 05:32 PM

Elix wrote:Good information, thanks. I have some cheap lines that never were very slick. (Four 360's and they're just about too bound up to recover) I'll try the wax to see if it makes them any better. Cheers! :revspin:

Elix - What are you using for lines? To avoid wasting time, you'll want some kind of spectra lines if you are flying Revs to avoid the problem you're describing. I won't debate the merits of different brands here - you can find plenty of "threads" ;-) on the internet devoted to arguing the merits of different brands of spectra for kite flying. At then end of the day, you'll want a good set of spectra lines. You can buy them online, of course, or make them yourself - but if you are going to do that, I'd recommend (from dumb personal experience) buying spectra that is specifically designed for kite flying - it has less stretch and is more "slippery" than other spectra applications. You'll also want a set of your lines in 120 foot length if you want to fly team . . . and trust me, you want to fly team as soon as you can keep up & be reasonably in control. The 120 foot lines are also great because you have a much larger flying window - which is a huge help when you are learning as you have a lot longer distance (=time) to react when flying.

Elix

Postby Elix » Tue, Jun 28 2011, 12:51 PM

My lines aren't high quality I'm sure. I really have no idea what they are. I got a kite package deal, lines included, no mention of brand, quality, strength, etc. It was a 300 foot roll, so I did learn to make my own set. Went to the local fabric store and found some good braided cord, stripped the guts, then used some markers to color code my sleeves. At least that part turned out great. :)

As for getting a high quality set, that's on the way soon. I'm ordering a B Series from thekitesite.net. Then I'll start using holidays/birthdays to expand my resources like a race frame, 120's, 15 inch handles for light wind work... all that good stuff.

I sprayed my lines down with some Armor All I found in the garage this morning. I'll report back on how well that worked after I get off the ground this evening.
Chris

Return to “Lines”