July 30th - Impromptu fly with lots going on

An IKE sister club, connecting Kiteheads in the greater Quad City area.
Mux11

July 30th - Impromptu fly with lots going on

Postby Mux11 » Thu, Jun 23 2011, 12:22 PM

July 30th will be HUGE in Davenport IA with three major events happening on the same day!!!
- the BIX-7 is a road race through town with over 15,000 participants
- RAGBRAI (Registers Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa) will end in Centennial park the longest and oldest with thousands participating
- Street Fest - Vendors, Food, & Bands Lots of fun.

I have been asked to make a custom kite to fly during all of this where the RAGBRAI bicyclists will be comming in and its where the QC Fest is held.

So why not come to the biggest party in Davenport!
Anyone interested?

Mux11

Re: July 30th - Impromptu fly with lots going on

Postby Mux11 » Thu, Jun 23 2011, 12:23 PM

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Jun 23 2011, 12:32 PM

I'm intrigued. Will there actually be any room for someone flying a kite that has more than one line?

Mux11

Postby Mux11 » Fri, Jul 01 2011, 04:53 PM

still working on details but am assuming i/we will have the field where the QC-Kite Fest is held. The three major events are spread across the city of Davenport so 'space' per-sey shouldnt be a problem ~ traffic on the other hand ....
Come one - Come all should be quite a site to see everything going on.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Jul 02 2011, 11:58 AM

I'm interested as well . . . too early for me to commit though . . .

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Tue, Jul 05 2011, 06:49 AM

I'll try to make it but I'm probably working that day.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Tue, Jul 05 2011, 09:16 AM

I'll be there.

Promised James to help him out with his inability to be in two places at the same time. I'll be worth the trip just to see the custom kites ... remember showing us his sample printing on ripstop last fall? That's what the custom kites are all about.

Cheers,
Tom

Mux11

Postby Mux11 » Wed, Jul 20 2011, 11:31 AM

ok I got unbaried from the first kite. waiting on material for the other 3.
Here are some pictures - https://picasaweb.google.com/qckites/RA ... directlink

here are some details if you care to join us.
it will be a busy day for me as I will be at the newspaper (QCTImes) at 7am flying there till about 11, and then I will head over to Centennial park.
Centennial will be set up by about 10am and will fly till about 3:30 (at least thats my committment but Im sure I will stay later.)

**** At this point I have no idea what the set up will be or how much space will be available - but I have been promised a place to fly this big kites. SO if your good with impromptu and going with the flow jump in. **** Just dont want to not warn ya. ;)

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Wed, Jul 27 2011, 12:24 PM

Will we be flying at Centennial Park? Looks awfully small from the satellite view.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Mux11

Postby Mux11 » Wed, Jul 27 2011, 01:47 PM

Alrightie! Well Press Conference today at 3:30pm and well Ill have 3of4 ready for this. 4th is waiting on the printed bottoms that I can get late today/tomorrow. Photo album (link above) has been updated as things went along.

SUPER BIG THANK YOU TO TOM C. for assemblining one of these bad boys! And cant wait to see Tom & Mike S. and anyone else who ventures out. Did hear from a couple others but didnt get solid committments.

-Mark- Yes I will be flying in Centennial park. while its small for the festival there should be plenty of room for these 4 -100's and hands full of Revs. (the show grounds are roughly 500' x 1800') ~ so define small as you will.

Bring on the heat - its going to be a melter!~

Mux11

Postby Mux11 » Thu, Jul 28 2011, 03:46 PM

well - as you can imagine this weekend in Davenport is going to be crazy.

Good news is we will have the whole field where we have the festival so lots of space.

Bad news is 100,000 people in a small area there will be chaous and confusion.

IF you are planning to head over and join us I would recommend getting to the field via South Gains to Beiderbeck Dr. I would stay away from S. Marquette as there will be police directing traffic and enforcing flow through.
I will do everything I can to get you to the field. I would say send me a PM to let me know your comming and I can get you a phone #.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Jul 28 2011, 03:56 PM

I hope everyone has a great time as I won't be making it to QC this Saturday. Hope you have good winds.

Mux11

Postby Mux11 » Mon, Aug 01 2011, 08:04 AM

PHEW!!! WHATA-SATURDAY !
Great crowds and better wind than earlier predictions. Didnt come up till about 8am so the first hour was a bunch of messing around.
You can see some pictures (because im not much for taking a lot of photos) in the album.

Best part of the whole thing was the company. Jeepster, backdraft & son, and Mark showed up for all of the excitement. Lots of people taking pictures and wanting to buy the RAGBRAI kite.....

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Aug 03 2011, 08:15 PM

Mux11 wrote:PHEW!!! WHATA-SATURDAY !
Great crowds and better wind than earlier predictions. Didnt come up till about 8am so the first hour was a bunch of messing around.
You can see some pictures (because im not much for taking a lot of photos) in the album.

Best part of the whole thing was the company. Jeepster, backdraft & son, and Mark showed up for all of the excitement. Lots of people taking pictures and wanting to buy the RAGBRAI kite.....

That link did not work for me, but I think I was able to get to the right album from where that link landed. The kites look great! You know . . . you could make more RAGBRAI kites! Hope you got a list of names from everyone who wanted to buy it!

Return to “Club Discussion”