2011: June 11th Or 12th Fly?

Invites, discussion and general information about IKE Club Fly events and quick flys.
goestoeleven

2011: June 11th Or 12th Fly?

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Jun 09 2011, 11:01 PM

(for those of us not going off to North Dakota)

I know we just had a club fly . . . but any interest in flying again this weekend? I will be flying at some point, so if anyone is interested, post up! Saturday looks like better winds . . . but my daughter has a softball game until probably 11 and my son has soccer at 3, so I can probably only fly for a few hours in the Chicago suburbs. Sunday the 12th the winds don't look as good, but I think I'm free all day. If the winds are very light Sunday, I might go up to the top of the hill at Green Valley Forest Preserve.

catspaw00

Re: 2011: June 11th Or 12th Fly?

Postby catspaw00 » Fri, Jun 10 2011, 08:39 AM

Where is Green Valley?

-Wendy

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Jun 10 2011, 09:30 AM

Yeah, guess I could have included that in my original post. This Google map link should be centered on the parking lot at the top of the hill. It's only open on weekends during the summer months. Being on top of an old landfill, it's a couple hundred feet higher than the rest of the plains, and there are no trees so it's possible it will have good wind when lower down it's light and variable. When I was there a month ago, there was strong wind when down low there wasn't much.

Possible downsides to this location . . . Portable toilets only. No food or drink. Field - I think they only mow a few areas around the parking lot and the grass circle (about 1000' to the left of the parking lot in the satellite image). When I was there a month ago, the grass was short, but it's probably much longer now. Also, the actual "flyable" area is fairly small - while you see lots of open space in the satellite image, most of what you see is sloped hillside, not flat hilltop. And . . . the forest preserve rangers prefer that you fly sport kites in the grass circle as most (non kite flying) visitors to the top only walk on the paths from the parking lot to the overlook . . . and it's not a huge space between the paths for "wide open" sport kite flying. That said, I flew at the overlook because there were not very many people there at any one time . . . and the rangers didn't really hassle me other than to say they "prefer" if you fly off the other spot. I think if the whole club showed up . . . they might ask us to move to the circle. But since a bunch will be in ND . . . I'm guessing we'd be OK. Worst case, we walk over to the grass circle (which, BTW, I think might be conveniently about 120' across).

If you want to suggest a different location, that's fine. Busse Woods? Illinois Beach State Park? I've never flown at either of those locations.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Jun 11 2011, 10:29 PM

Did not get out today . . . and the wind forecast for tomorrow looks pretty light. So, I will go to the Greene Valley hill/overlook in search of wind this Sunday, June 12th if anyone wants to join me. It opens at 11 am so I will get there sometime between 11 and 12, and probably fly for a couple hours if there's good enough wind.

I tried to insert an image of the map, but that did not work so . . . the closest freeway exit is 75th street from I-355. Head west on 75th past Rt 53 to Greene Road. Turn south (left if coming from 355) on Greene, and follow it until you see the entrance to the hill - you drive past another parking lot entrance or two first, but go past that until you see the road going to the top. It's gravel part of the way but was in decent shape the one time I drove up there.
Last edited by goestoeleven on Sat, Jun 11 2011, 10:37 PM, edited 2 times in total.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Jun 12 2011, 09:37 PM

Well, it was just me and David today (and my wife watching us fly). However, we had a great day of flying from about noon to nearly 5 pm, on the vented all day in reasonably strong wind with some light spots and gusts, but nothing unflyable. Beautiful, sunny day. Plus, we did some 2 person "team" flying and I think David will have some new stuff for us to show when we get out to the next club fly! Since the photo server doesn't seem to be working right now, I'll probably post some pix over on revkites.
Last edited by goestoeleven on Sun, Jun 12 2011, 09:38 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Club & Quick Flys”