Anyone near DuPage County?

General conversation and discussion about the IKE Club.
Mike

Anyone near DuPage County?

Postby Mike » Fri, Mar 11 2011, 09:56 AM

If anyone can help out, post here and also contact Sarah.

I am a Park Ranger for the Forest Preserve District of DuPage County and am looking for information on flying kites. I would like to do a program this summer at one of our preserves. I saw your website and hope you or another member of the organization will be interested in helping me. Thank you.

Sarah Marousek
Pre-Professional
Land Management Department - East Division
Forest Preserve District of DuPage County
(630) 580-7012

goestoeleven

Re: Anyone Near DuPage County?

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Mar 12 2011, 12:13 AM

Wow . . . . I fly in the field right next to their offices. . . . . and when I look at the calendar for the year, the events start to get very sparse in the summer. This contact is almost synchronicity - I was just thinking the other day that I should call the forest preserve, and try to get them to hold a kite flying event in Dupage during the summer. I'll contact her and see what she has in mind.

prairierose

Postby prairierose » Sat, Mar 12 2011, 08:44 AM

Steve, I'm also happy to help out. I don't know what she's looking for, but besides rev demos/lessons I can run bol races and candy drops if some friendly IKE members lend me the equipment.

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Sat, Mar 12 2011, 09:00 AM

Good morning

Just wanted to let you guys know Chicagokite has been in contact with Forest Preserve District of DuPage County ,We are in the process of working out the details .
As soon as we have them all together we will let you know.
Thanks
David

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Mar 12 2011, 10:38 AM

Sounds great! I'd be happy to help out with any of those things as well. I don't have any experience in this . . . but I think it'd be fun to get something scheduled for the summer. I left a voicemail for her as well. Don't know if she's looking to do a small festival, or a workshop, but I guess we'll find out.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Apr 29 2011, 11:31 PM

Sarah from the Forest Preserve emailed me yesterday. They've picked July 9th as the date, and the top of the hill at Greene Valley Forest Preserve as the location. I may go check it out this weekend if time permits (although we are jam packed with kids stuff - games, a piano recital, and cub scouts). She's expecting a pretty small event (NOT a festival) - like they'd be lucky to get 25 people. She said the parking lot at the top is small which limits attendance. Also, they have no budget or sponsors for anything - they can only use volunteers.

I told her that I can show up with some kites :revspin: and talk to people about kite flying, etc. If anyone else local is interested, let me know. I'd love to have other IKErs there and some different kites to fly & show! Maybe if it goes well . . . we can convince the FP to make it bigger and better next year.

Return to “Club Discussion”