Venting A Supersonic, Perhaps!

All about quad line kiting. If the dark side appeals to you, this is your place.
Darkspark

Venting A Supersonic, Perhaps!

Postby Darkspark » Sat, Jan 22 2011, 03:13 PM

Hello everyone,
I officially have the winter blues. :wallb:
I have a project I was looking for some guidance, and maybe some help with. I have a supersonic, but because of its pull and heavier wind requirements, I can't fly it often. I was considering venting it. By either replacing the panels that would be vents in the factory vented version, Or making vents elsewhere.
Couple questions:
First: Does anyone have a small amount of screening they would like to sell me? The project wouldn't take much, and I don't see the sense in ordering a whole bunch for just a couple panels.
Second: How difficult would this actually be? I have a sewing machine, And a rudimentary idea of operating it. Would it be as simple as cutting the existing stitches, removing the panel, and sewing the screen in?
Third: If anyone would be willing to help, I would trade a set of custom handles for the help. Or a stake or two.

Is this worth doing, or would I be better off selling the supersonic, and buying a vented version?
Or better yet if someone is interested in trading a club color supersonic with a couple hours on it for a vented version, Problem solved.

Cant wait for the weather to break, and to get together for a fest or a club fly. Until then............

Mikey

Jeepster

Re: Venting A Supersonic, Perhaps!

Postby Jeepster » Sat, Jan 22 2011, 03:42 PM

Darkspark wrote:... I officially have the winter blues. :wallb: ...

It's amazing what four days on the Florida beach will do for winter blues .... that plus there's only 46 more ger-ups before Huntington Beach will be under my Revs.

Darkspark wrote:... First: Does anyone have a small amount of screening they would like to sell me? The project wouldn't take much, and I don't see the sense in ordering a whole bunch for just a couple panels. ...

The screening is simply fiberglass screening from your window screens. Go to your local screen repair shop (Ace Hardware in my case) and tell them what you're doing. That's where I've been getting my stuff.

Darkspark wrote:... Second: How difficult would this actually be? I have a sewing machine, And a rudimentary idea of operating it. Would it be as simple as cutting the existing stitches, removing the panel, and sewing the screen in? ...

It should be pretty simple ... just want to duplicate the 3-step zig-zag size. My vote would be to leave the panel in place and sew the screening along the present seam. Then use embroidery scissors or a seam ripper to cut the old panel out along the seam line. Rev uses seam tape to hold everything together, but if you leave the panel in place you should be okay. Both Ken and Mike have vented old sails so should be able to confirm or offer other suggestions.

Darkspark wrote:... Cant wait for the weather to break, and to get together for a fest or a club fly. Until then............

Mikey

No truer words were ever spoken.

Cheers,
Tom
Last edited by Jeepster on Sat, Jan 22 2011, 03:43 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Sat, Jan 22 2011, 05:38 PM

Tanks Tom,
That makes screen supply problems disappear.
I unfortunately cannot make KP this year. My brother-in-law is getting married at the beginning of April in Puerto Rico. Pocket book cant handle both, so I begrudgingly chose family. Although I am bringing my kites and plan on spending most of the time on the beach, Handles in hand.

My sewing machine does the 3-step, but it is narrower than revs stitching by about a third. I am assuming that will be OK?
Thanks again, look forward to flying with you soon, Mikey

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Jan 22 2011, 05:48 PM

I would sew on the vent like Tom said, that's easiest.
Buy the screen from Home Depot or Ace or anywhere.
The easiest way to do it would be cut out a piece of screen much larger than the panel you're going to vent. Tape it on the back of the kite with masking tape to hold it in place.
Sew from the front, and sew along the existing seam. Use can use a triple zig-zag or a couple rows of straight stitches. The stitch width is a larger than you'd use for normal fabric sewing, about 8 to the inch is good.
Then carefully cut out the front panel.
Flip the kite over, and cut off the excess screen.

Repeat for the other vent.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sat, Jan 22 2011, 09:47 PM

Darkspark wrote:... My sewing machine does the 3-step, but it is narrower than revs stitching by about a third. I am assuming that will be OK? ...

Yep, that will work okay.

Cheers,
Tom

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Jan 25 2011, 12:24 AM

BOO!!!!!

Wazzzzzzzzzzzz UP... here was my write up with what I did and responses that I got with ways to do things a few ways.... http://www.ikeclub.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=707

Have fun. :up:
Last edited by Frodos Majik on Tue, Jan 25 2011, 12:26 AM, edited 2 times in total.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jan 25 2011, 07:38 AM

Eeek!
Hiya Ken!

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Tue, Jan 25 2011, 09:58 AM