Some Favorite High Wind Kites

All about Dual Line Kiting.
Knoted4ever

Some Favorite High Wind Kites

Postby Knoted4ever » Sun, Dec 10 2006, 04:17 PM

i was out today :-D flying locally in wind conditions that were a bit high. It seems like this winter weather is throwing nothing but brisk winds at us lately! At first i took out my Transfer XT.rVV... made by L'Atelier. It is a very nice vented kite that allows you to open or close vents utilizing velcro-oriented screen pockets in which you can insert or remove kite fabric. If you open it up all the way (i.e., with all of the vents completely open), it is rather limited with certain tricks; but the high wind conditions, making the "opening up" requisite, would make doing such tricks very difficult anyway. Today i flew it with the fabric inserts that have intermittent sections of open gaps and material. This is the partially open mode and i had a great time flying in 15 mph winds. It did Backspins, Cometes, Rolling Cascades and other tricks well, in the partially vented mode. This kite excels at doing Turtles and MultiLazies.

Another great kite, that i flew today, was the Sea Devil Mid-Vent. The Sea Devils are my favorite sport kites, and the vented version is no exception. This is a true polyvalent kite and it is a kite that i love to do tricks with! It also excels at precision flying. i also added a couple of wind screens to the stand-offs of this vented kite... which seems to help a bit more for very windy conditions. This kite also flies well when the wind dies down... making it a good kite for a very wide wind range! The kite is very pitch-friendly and enables one to do all kinds of nice pitch oriented tricks. The Standard and the Light versions are also topnotch!

If the winds are very high... over 15 mph consistently... then the Benson MiniGem is a very nice kite. This kite, like the Gemini kites, is very adept at doing great axel oriented and rotating tricks... even in high winds! There are ways of putting the MiniGem into fades even when the wind conditions are very brisk and crazy! This kite does great Insanes and Rolling Cascades in super high wind conditions. Benson Deep Spaces can also be flown in rather high wind conditions --- up to 18 mph --- and they too can do some very nice tricks when others fail.

Years ago, i used to fly a New Tech M-80 sport kite, designed by Dodd Gross. The M-80 was an inexpensive kite that taught me some nice tricks. It can take very high wind conditions. i remember that the M-80 would go into Rising Fades that were a lot of fun!
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

denverberry

Re: Some Favorite High Wind Kites

Postby denverberry » Sun, Dec 10 2006, 05:34 PM

Glad you got to fly today K note, how long were you out?
Denver Berry
Truck Driver
Oak Ridge, TN

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sun, Dec 10 2006, 06:01 PM

Chris and I were also out today... Slightly colder than predicted but windy and fun, none the less.

We started out with a standard Rev 1.5SLE and a Rev I. Then moved on to our vented 1.5s before long.

Chris's new kite is very cool and his line laundry (a snowman) was absolutely perfect for the day... a great time had by 2.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

denverberry

Postby denverberry » Sun, Dec 10 2006, 06:15 PM

Wow, great to see Chris is getting to put that sled up.
Denver Berry

Truck Driver

Oak Ridge, TN

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Mon, Dec 11 2006, 07:58 PM

denverberry wrote:Glad you got to fly today K note, how long were you out?

i was out for two hours... not counting the assembling, peeing, and disassembling times. :-D

Watching the Mount Everest Special afterwards is what chilled me! Some of the expeditioners had fingers going bad, feet going numb... and had to stand still... waiting for the slow Chinese amateurs in front of them to hobble along like sloths! :shock:

What about you brave hearts re time :?: :!:
Tom P.

Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

denverberry

Postby denverberry » Tue, Dec 12 2006, 01:29 AM

Well, they did choose to take the Sherpa duty, knowing the risks.

Not for me.

I love our east Tennessee mountains, "The Trail" (A.T.) isn't far from where I live, and we spend boatloads of time trying to get away, so I can understand the appeal and adventure.
Denver Berry

Truck Driver

Oak Ridge, TN

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Wed, Dec 13 2006, 06:59 PM

denverberry wrote:Well, they did choose to take the Sherpa duty, knowing the risks.

Not for me.

I love our east Tennessee mountains, "The Trail" (A.T.) isn't far from where I live, and we spend boatloads of time trying to get away, so I can understand the appeal and adventure.

The latest Everest Special showed them engaged in mutany against the expert guide assisting them from down below with a telescope. He pro-guide told them that they do not have enough O2 for the Dead Zone... but they insisted on climbing (i.e., crawling) ahead anyway; the lack of O2 was affecting their brain cells.

i sure hope that they find the Mount Hood guys in the mountains of Oregon. They've been gone over a week and temperatures are down with the winds at 70mph and above. It sure doesn't look good.
Tom P.

Chris

Postby Chris » Tue, Mar 25 2008, 04:29 PM

I have to add New Techs Dodd Gross BLK (Big Loud Kite) LINK
I was out today in this NASTY wind today for about two hours. Wind speed was 10 to 20mph, with gusts up to 40 :shock:

The BLK performed beautifully. The top wind range is 18mph, but this kite is a beast in 25-30mph gusts :twisted:

This is definitely one of my favorites in my kite bag. I don't enjoy flying my rev when it is gusty and choppy like it was today...there were white caps on the retention pond behind me :-)

On a side note, I just ordered padded wrist straps to fly on days like today :dualspin:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Kitehead

Postby Kitehead » Tue, Mar 25 2008, 04:45 PM

Hey, an old thread resurrected. :-)

For really, really high wind (20+) I have a '97 vintage vented Tramontana framed in P300s. Bullet proof. :up:

Nowadays if the wind is up I'll be flying the vented rev 1.5. Sweet.
Allen Carter

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Tue, Mar 25 2008, 08:21 PM

Wow Chris! You should be commended for flying on a day like today! (Either that, or they should take you away! :wink: )

i was flying after work yesterday and was flying a Sea Devil Standard. The winds progressively got stronger and stronger. It hung in there really well, i thought! Lately i've been flying in stronger and stronger winds than what the kite is normally set or made for. It's been working out very well... but recently, in just moderate winds, my new spectra line (90#) has been breaking. i suspect that the colder weather is making it more brittle and more inclined to break; either that, or they are cutting corners somewhere; but it's probably the cold. Anyway, i am getting sick of making new line-sets! Perhaps it's those darn microscopic string mites (that are quickly mutating and that will soon be eating away at our kites and be infesting the hotel beds that we rest in during festivals)! :shock:
Tom P.

Return to “Dual Line Kites”