Dog Stake Rig

Talk about kite accessories. Bags, Spars, etc.
Darkspark

Dog Stake Rig

Postby Darkspark » Mon, Sep 27 2010, 09:23 PM

Just wanted to show off a dog stake rig I am in the process of making for a fellow flier, trading for a kite. This part will attach to a standard screw in stake. I still need to do some finishing, and make the part that attaches to the stake. The head will be removable with a pin. It will swivel to vertical each way, go from horizontal to about a 45* angle up. And it will rotate around the stake. Its all stainless and aluminum. The pulleys have sealed stainless bearings. The piece behind the pulleys slides forward and back to remove the lines. Fun but time consuming project. Looking forward to finishing it to see how it works. Image Image

Mike

Re: Dog Stake Rig

Postby Mike » Tue, Sep 28 2010, 07:45 AM

wow. very pretty. shiny. cool! It's amazing to me what people with metal working skills can do.

Be sure to wear eye protection if you try it out :)
At least I know I whacked myself a few times when I tried dog-staking.

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Tue, Sep 28 2010, 09:33 PM

It's been a long time since I get in to this forum! Hi gang! It's me Hector from California, yeah...I'm still alive. and feeling good, I fly kites every now and then.
I was looking at this interesting device, the basic similarities from my YoYo's. The Idea of bearings is excellent, but..I noticed only two wheels on this photos, I was wondering...
if this device it's going to be used for a dual line kite, it's perfect! but for a Quad,...hmmm, remember that I had to make FOUR wheel to make IT work? the reason behind it, was obvious.
You'VE GOT to have FOUR wheel, one for each line, other wise, if you have 2 lines on one wheel, they will drag themselves against each other inside the wheel grove, not rotating as supposed to.
I may be wrong on my comment, but it is only a comment. :-)
NICE MACHINE SHOP WORK! :up:

EDITING: Don't forget, sand and humidity will have a say at the bearings. Sealed bearing are good.
Last edited by Hector Herrera on Tue, Sep 28 2010, 09:42 PM, edited 2 times in total.
****Héctor Herrera****
*El Artesano Del Viento*

http://www.geocities.com/don.hector0606 ... KITES.html

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Wed, Sep 29 2010, 11:17 AM

Hi Hector,
Thanks for the compliments, All the bearings are sealed and maintenance free. I plan on polishing the inside of the pulleys, and I am hoping they will be smooth enough to put two lines on each. I think with a polish and wax, the lines should slide. If I have to add two more pulleys, I can with only a few modifications. I haven't got it finished to try it yet. Won't know for sure until then. Glad to see you posting on the forum again, Mikey

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Sep 29 2010, 03:16 PM

Hi Hector, good to see you again Mi Amigo!

I think Hector raised a good point.

Let's say we put the two lines coming off one handle on a single pulley. When we rotate the handle thumbs back for example, the top line moves back and the bottom line moves forward. It seems to me that the pulley wont help much and the lines rub against each other.

Let's say we put the two top lines on a pulley, and the two brake lines on the other pulley. Anytime we turn and apply brake to one side and forward to the other side of the kite, the lines will again move in opposite directions and rub against each other.

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Sep 29 2010, 03:19 PM

The auto-generated "Similar Topics" at the bottom of these posts are pointing to Hectors work on dog stakes.

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Wed, Sep 29 2010, 05:02 PM

You guys are right, no matter how the lines are situated they will rub against each other or the pulley. I am hoping to get the pulley polished and waxed to the point that there is very little friction between it and the lines. About the same as having a twist or two in the lines during normal flying. No way to know for sure until it is tested.

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Wed, Sep 29 2010, 11:14 PM

Darkspark wrote:You guys are right, no matter how the lines are situated they will rub against each other or the pulley. I am hoping to get the pulley polished and waxed to the point that there is very little friction between it and the lines. About the same as having a twist or two in the lines during normal flying. No way to know for sure until it is tested.

Hi there! there is one more thing you have to put in consideration; when you are flying a Quad, (Rev) you wil make turns just like you do im normal flying,
THEN, the twisted lines WILL have an effect inside the groove of the device.- IF...you make too many turn, it will get hard to fly the kite. But then again, you have to make your own
flying try outs, to see where you are. The lasT thing I did, was to eliminate the YoYo's, and the wheels, and came up with just a big hook Like this ( ? ) made with satinless steel and well polished.
the tricks to do good stake kite flying is NOT TO DO TOO MANY TURNS. (I guess) Good luck, post some stake kite flying videos when you can, it will be nice to see that.
Last edited by Hector Herrera on Wed, Sep 29 2010, 11:17 PM, edited 1 time in total.
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Oct 01 2010, 09:54 PM

I like the idea of the hook. Simple, nothing to break, works well in sand and dirt.

Maybe we can try out Mikey's system at the Pontiac Club fly?

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Sat, Oct 02 2010, 12:54 PM

Well I finished the rig and tried it out. Other than scaring the hell out of myself multiple times, it worked really well. I had no problems with the pulleys, the line slides on them very well when going in opposite directions. The head follows and turns with the kite as designed. I am unsure if I will still have it in Pontiac, I made it for someone else. I think it will be shipped out by then. We'll see. Here are some pics of the finished rig. I am quite proud of it. Image

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Oct 03 2010, 07:53 AM

It is a thing of beauty. Congrats on work well done.

RevJB

Postby RevJB » Sun, Oct 17 2010, 04:05 PM

Nice job.

Looks like your flyer was happy. You were mentioned by name in one of his articles.
John
:LogoRevAni:

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Wed, Feb 23 2011, 07:01 PM

So I have been working on a second version using 4 pulleys. I have the majority of it roughed in. The problem with the first one was the wraps in the line getting to close to the rig, then the lines would climb off the pulleys. As long as there isn't too many problems with line in/out interference I think this will work much better. As the kite twists up it will only tighten the lines onto the pulleys. Thats the plan anyhow. Have to wait and see how it works in professional hands.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Feb 23 2011, 08:13 PM

Nice!

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Feb 23 2011, 08:52 PM

Too bad you can't make the club fly. We could have tested it and probably poke our eyes out trying to dog-stake.
It is a thing of beauty.

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Sun, Feb 27 2011, 10:30 PM

Darkspark wrote:So I have been working on a second version using 4 pulleys. I have the majority of it roughed in. The problem with the first one was the wraps in the line getting to close to the rig, then the lines would climb off the pulleys. As long as there isn't too many problems with line in/out interference I think this will work much better. As the kite twists up it will only tighten the lines onto the pulleys. Thats the plan anyhow. Have to wait and see how it works in professional hands.

WOW! A MAGNIFICENT PIECE OF ART, TRULLY GENUINE AND GRACEFULL. :up: I hope some day I will see it and who knows? I may give it a try...It would be a trill :wink:
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Tue, Mar 01 2011, 07:44 PM

Thank you Hector. I have seen some of your work, and it makes the compliment even more meaningful. I will post some more pics when it is finished.

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Fri, May 06 2011, 01:47 PM

Finally have it finished and mailed out for testing. Hopefully it will work as planned. Only time will tell.

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, May 06 2011, 04:04 PM

That's a helluva piece of workmanship. So very cool.

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Sat, May 07 2011, 12:05 PM

Mikey ~ All I can say is... W O W ! :up:

What incredible skills you possess! It's not only a piece of engineering genius... it's a piece of art!
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Return to “Accessories”