Drachen Foundation

Links to sites related to Kites in general. Cool links are encouraged.
Chris

Drachen Foundation

Postby Chris » Sat, Dec 09 2006, 08:29 AM

It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Draftnik

Re: Drachen Foundation

Postby Draftnik » Sat, Dec 09 2006, 08:57 AM

I love Drachen. They have such cool kite things going on.

Hector you might appreciate this one... http://www.drachen.org/special_events_guatemala2005.html
TTFN,
Draftnik

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Sat, Dec 09 2006, 08:59 PM

Draftnik wrote:I love Drachen. They have such cool kite things going on.

Hector you might appreciate this one... http://www.drachen.org/special_events_guatemala2005.html

DRAFTNIK !!! You've just drawn a big smile in my face. :-D
The "barriletes" you see against the wall, are similar to the ones I use to make when I was a boy (younger) I did them very colorful, different sizes, and I use to sell them to my friends too. One of our most favorite things to do was to see who would fly the kite the fartest, and me and my budies use to collect old socks, to get enough strings to fly the kites, as you may know, the fabric from pantyhoses is very strong, light, and you can get a long ways with a couple of pantyhoses's strings. One time me and my older brother flew a kite 3 hours away... !!! that's how long it took us to bring the kite back!!!
Thank you very much Draftnik, you just became special to me. 8)

Last edited by Hector Herrera on Sat, Dec 09 2006, 09:13 PM, edited 1 time in total.
****Héctor Herrera****
*El Artesano Del Viento*

http://www.geocities.com/don.hector0606 ... KITES.html

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Sat, Dec 09 2006, 09:12 PM

Chris wrote:http://www.drachen.org/

Chris!!!
Why didn't you tell me?
Drafnik wrote my name and it pulled my attention...
Thank you both for the info. :-)
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Dec 10 2006, 08:17 AM

Hector,
you should make some of those and bring them to the H.B. Kite Party, I would really enjoy seeing them. They would look great in the sky next to all the high tech SLKs that will also be in the air.
Ooh, what would be cool too, would to be to take photos and post the whole process of making them to our forum.

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Sun, Dec 10 2006, 09:57 AM

Mike wrote:Hector,
you should make some of those and bring them to the H.B. Kite Party, I would really enjoy seeing them. They would look great in the sky next to all the high tech SLKs that will also be in the air.
Ooh, what would be cool too, would to be to take photos and post the whole process of making them to our forum.

Hmmm...lemme think....
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

denverberry

Postby denverberry » Sun, Dec 10 2006, 12:26 PM

Hector, You Must!!! [smiley smilie=4 fontcolor=000000 shadowcolor=00FF00 shieldshadow=1]GO HECTOR GO !!![/smiley]
Denver Berry
Truck Driver
Oak Ridge, TN

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Sun, Dec 10 2006, 08:55 PM

Hector Herrera wrote:The "barriletes" you see against the wall, are similar to the ones I use to make when I was a boy (younger) I did them very colorful, different sizes, and I use to sell them to my friends too. One of our most favorite things to do was to see who would fly the kite the farthest, and me and my budies use to collect old socks, to get enough strings to fly the kites, as you may know, the fabric from pantyhoses is very strong, light, and you can get a long ways with a couple of pantyhoses's strings. One time me and my older brother flew a kite 3 hours away... !!! that's how long it took us to bring the kite back!!!
[/b][/color]

One of the greatest treasures of the sport of kiting is the sharing of cultures. This story is delightful, Hector. It's also, by far, the greatest use of pantyhose *ever*. :mrorange:
TTFN,

Draftnik

denverberry

Postby denverberry » Sun, Dec 10 2006, 09:07 PM

Draftnik wrote:It's also, by far, the greatest use of pantyhose *ever*. :mrorange:

:zip:
Denver Berry

Truck Driver

Oak Ridge, TN

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Sun, Dec 10 2006, 09:17 PM

with a couple of pantyhoses's strings. One time me and my older brother flew a kite 3 hours away... !!! that's how long it took us to bring the kite back!!!

One of the greatest treasures of the sport of kiting is the sharing of cultures. This story is delightful, Hector. It's also, by far, the greatest use of pantyhose *ever*. :mrorange:[/quote]

Yeah...pantyhose strings are very good for kite flying...single line kites I mean... :roll:
they are also good for fishing... [smiley smilie=10 fontcolor=000000 shadowcolor=000000 shieldshadow=1]"FISHING???"[/smiley] Yeah fishing... :?

Have you ever use MUSSELS as bait for fish. [smiley smilie=13 fontcolor=000000 shadowcolor=000000 shieldshadow=1]Bait? mussles, Pantyhoses...???[/smiley]

Well, if you do sea fishing, or break water fishing like I did years ago, in California, 8) You use tiny pieces of "pantyhose string" , you wrap it around the bait to hold it on the hook, otherwise the fish will just sneak in and take the bait from the side. 8 out of 10 the fish gets away with the bait... :? with the pantyhose string holding the bait, the fish will not see the fine filament, and will try to swallow the whole thing...that's where you make your catch. :up:
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

denverberry

Postby denverberry » Sun, Dec 10 2006, 09:42 PM

Now we're going to have a Kite Fishing page for Hector.

Shoot, I'm game... :shock: wait, don't SHOOT, I'm NOT GAME!! What I mean is... Oh I give up... :oops:
Denver Berry

Truck Driver

Oak Ridge, TN

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Sun, Dec 10 2006, 10:50 PM

denverberry wrote:Now we're going to have a Kite Fishing page for Hector.

Shoot, I'm game... :shock: wait, don't SHOOT, I'm NOT GAME!! What I mean is... Oh I give up... :oops:

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl
This time I am really LOL.. :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Wed, Jan 03 2007, 12:38 PM

Okay Fellows!!!
Today I send a request to Drachen Foundation.
I needed to get bamboo spars, to make some Guatemalan kites!!!
I hope I can make a couple before the end of February and bring them over to Huntington Beach Kite Party.
These would be the old fashion kites, along with the High tech. kites.
I would like to congratulate Babbman and Chris for the excelent work they are doing with their new kites.
[smiley smilie=8 fontcolor=000000 shadowcolor=000000 shieldshadow=1]They look very good!!![/smiley]

See you in February, H.B. California.

Note: This time I am not using pantyhose string! (unless requested) :twisted:

Ohh...ah...I don't know about photos Mike. I don't have a digital camera, and my Multi function machine, broke down. No scanner, no printer, no fax, nada...
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

Chris

Postby Chris » Wed, Jan 03 2007, 09:25 PM

Thak you, Hector, just trying to keep up with the high standards all you long time kite builders have set :wink:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Jan 03 2007, 10:43 PM

Chris wrote:Thak you, Hector, just trying to keep up with the high standards all you long time kite builders have set :wink:

[smiley smilie=1 fontcolor=000000 shadowcolor=000000 shieldshadow=1]Mega Dittos[/smiley]

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Fri, Jan 05 2007, 08:11 PM

http://www.drachen.org/journals/a09/Gua ... -kites.pdf

Hello fellows...!!! It's so good to see the (IKE) Kite Making Enthusiast at work...
and I am not going to be left behind. Today I went with the family to a Nursery, just to buy some plant food for my dear wife's plants and flowers, and I saw this large bamboo sticks,...I asked the atendant about the price and I was going to buy one, when he asked me what I needed the bamboo for, I told him I was going to make a kite, then, the man very nicely showed me a large variety of bamboo sticks !!! :-D different sizes, and I was so surprised and content that I had just found the needed bamboo sticks for my Guatemalan kite. :mrgreen:
I came home and I allready have the Octogonal frame done. So now I need to figure out what design I am gonna make...Hmmmm... :roll: :roll: :roll:
I bought bamboo 5' long by about 5/16" in Diameter, I feel they will be pretty strong, and stiff enough. It's gonna be a single line kite.
Hmmm...I was thinking how would it respond with four lines? You know, like a Revo. kite ??? :wink:

I guess it would be the first time ever to have an 8 sided kite, flown with four strings...Hmmm It might look awesomely nice with very many colors and rotating at high speed....Hmmmm [smiley smilie=13 fontcolor=00FF00 shadowcolor=00FF00 shieldshadow=0]Rotating?...Colors?...[/smiley] Any Ideas anyone?... :thanks:
Okay, remember: If the wind sucks, you're flying backwards.- :P
Last edited by Hector Herrera on Fri, Jan 05 2007, 08:29 PM, edited 2 times in total.
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Jan 05 2007, 08:18 PM

Hector Herrera wrote:Okay, remember: If the wind sucks, you're flying backwards.- :P

:rotfl

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Fri, Jan 05 2007, 08:53 PM

Hector,

I can't stand that you are so far away and making a traditional kite. I hope we get to see it. Keep us updated!
TTFN,

Draftnik

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Jan 06 2007, 07:31 AM

Hector, a very cheap digital camera would work fine for posting photos on the web. (hint, hint)

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Sat, Jan 06 2007, 11:14 AM

Uooohh...??? :shock:
What? ???? :?:
This morning as I woke up, and I saw the octagonal frame standing against the wall, and I noticed that, for it's size
it's not going to fit in my station wagon...??? :(
And suddenly I tought "no wonder there are collapsing kites"... a good thing is that I haven't made the wing design yet,
and I will have to come up with a "foldable" frame...
This is a very good discovery, since I never tought about the transportation fact.
(Back in my town, we never had to go to long distances, It was just a matter of walking.)
Okay, I'm thinking of something real quick, drill a small hole in the center of the spars,
(hoping it's not going to make it weak) fold them like a chinese hand fan, for transportation.
Make the wing in such a way that it could be pack in a roll, and easy to set up on the field.
Not forgetting about the wind strengh capacity I will have to do something very clever.
Another thing would be the attachements,
bridles and so on.
Oil well. A good thing is I'm still Un-emp... :P

AND REMEMBER: EVEN THE BAD DAYS ARE GOOD!!! :lol:
I'll be working on this proyect during the next several day. :up:

You're right Mike I will try to get me a cheapy, to record the new design. Or better yet another video camera,...
GEE I have nothing...???
**********************************************************************************************
Wait a minute!!! I am editing this note...Uno momento, por favor... don't panic...
In my regular job as mechanic, I allways tell my fellow mechanics, ...
"in maintenance department, we don't have problems, we have solutions"!!! and so I do this time, solutions, solutions, solutions...
it's very simple, carry the bamboo sticks like a regular kite, (loose) make the wing with pockets at the ends, posible some velcro,
and the bridle ready to set up. and on the field it would just be a matter of putting it all togheter like the other kites!!!

HECTOR!!! YOU ARE A GENIUS!!!
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

Return to “Kite Sites”