Quad Lines - Stretch

All about quad line kiting. If the dark side appeals to you, this is your place.
goestoeleven

Quad Lines - Stretch

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Sep 17 2010, 11:04 PM

So . . . . I'm brand new to revs and picked up a used SLE 1.5 with a line set a few weeks back. I have flown about three times now, but still have a lot to learn (and some dual line habits to un-learn).

Here's my issue/question - I took the lines off the handles to measure them, and it seems that the top lines were both an inch or two longer than the lower lines. It seems (from what I've been reading on revkite and other forums) that the lines should actually be the same length and that this happens due to greater force & stretch on the top lines while flying. So, I've switched the lines over and the top lines are now on the bottom of the handles, and vice versa. No wind today to try this out . . . so I'm here on the forum. Will this make a big difference in the climbing / forward speed of the kite?

Jeepster

Re: Quad Lines - Stretch

Postby Jeepster » Sat, Sep 18 2010, 07:21 AM

goestoeleven wrote:So . . . . I'm brand new to revs and picked up a used SLE 1.5 with a line set a few weeks back. I have flown about three times now, but still have a lot to learn (and some dual line habits to un-learn).

Here's my issue/question - I took the lines off the handles to measure them, and it seems that the top lines were both an inch or two longer than the lower lines. It seems (from what I've been reading on revkite and other forums) that the lines should actually be the same length and that this happens due to greater force & stretch on the top lines while flying. So, I've switched the lines over and the top lines are now on the bottom of the handles, and vice versa. No wind today to try this out . . . so I'm here on the forum. Will this make a big difference in the climbing / forward speed of the kite?

Welcome to the forum. Glad to see you found us.

It's important that the top lines are even with each other and the bottom lines are even with each other ... most will tell you they should be even within a quarter of an inch. Differences between the top and bottom pairs is more pragmatic. Until the line set is "broken in", don't worry about an inch of difference. You've already made the correct choice by rotating the shorter line pair to the top. That difference will be adjusted at the handles ... just move the "now top" lines towards the handles twice the difference in length (~2") and the control will remain the same.

Please share a little about yourself and tell us where you live. There's a good possibility that a club member lives near you and can help you progress much faster than you will on your own.

Cheers,
Tom
Last edited by Jeepster on Sat, Sep 18 2010, 10:31 AM, edited 1 time in total.

TeamTrejo

Postby TeamTrejo » Sat, Sep 18 2010, 07:29 AM

Hey Goestoeleven

I just happened to watch "This is Spinal Tap" last night. I love Netflix.

Anyway, you will automatically adjust to small differences in line length after a few minutes of flying but it will feel weird at first. The lines will even out over time.

Swapping the top and bottom lines is something you should do every time out. Just get into the habit.

BTW did you ever notice on "Big Bottom" they are all playing bass. Too funny.
Last edited by TeamTrejo on Sat, Sep 18 2010, 07:51 AM, edited 2 times in total.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sat, Sep 18 2010, 12:06 PM

Hello Cleveland!
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Sep 19 2010, 09:57 PM

goestoeleven wrote:So . . . . I'm brand new to revs and picked up a used SLE 1.5 with a line set a few weeks back. I have flown about three times now, but still have a lot to learn (and some dual line habits to un-learn).

Hi, and welcome to the club.

goestoeleven wrote:... Will this make a big difference in the climbing / forward speed of the kite?

You were right to switch the lines. This will only need to be done a couple times and then you wont have to worry about it anymore.
A difference in the lengths of the top vs bottom lines will make a big difference in how kite handles. It will change the climbing / forward speed.

The difference is so important that most fliers put knots in the leaders that are on your handles. There's some discussion here:
http://www.ikeclub.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?p=9116

Basically, the leaders that are attached to your SLE handles are a loop of doubled line. You can untie the loop to have one long piece of line, and then add knots to that line as shown here:
The top line should be 8 or 9" long. You only need 4 knots, about 1" apart.

The bottom line only needs to be a couple inches. Just tie a knot in the leader you already have on your handles.

When you fly, attach the bottom flying lines to the short leader at the bottom of your handles.
Attach the top line a few knots from the end of leader.

I'll take a photo of the 180GO! handle knots tomorrow and post them here.

Please post back here with any questions.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Sep 19 2010, 10:06 PM

Thanks for the tips. Glad to see we have a few spinal tap fans on the forum. My wife banned the movie from our house years ago because I could quote it almost verbatim.

I'm out in the Wheaton area, if anyone is nearby. I could use some pointers, and . . . I just really need a bunch more flight time to help my reactions to quad flight. Tuesday is looking fairly good for wind, so maybe I'll get some flying in then. Too bad I'll be at work all day . . . .

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Sep 19 2010, 10:12 PM

Maybe take a couple hour drive this weekend to Davenport for the Quad Cities kites festival, several of us will be there.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Sep 20 2010, 10:38 PM

I'd love to be there, but my father is in town for the weekend, and my kids have too much stuff going on this weekend for me to get out to Davenport for a day.

Will you guys be at either the festival in Antioch on the 2nd or Glenview on the 9th (Chicago Kite is showing those on their web site)?

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Sep 24 2010, 11:03 AM

Better late than never, here's the photos of 180GO's handles:
Attachments
handle03.jpg
The bottom line is from the original handles, that's why it's doubled.
handle03.jpg (30.72 KiB) Viewed 2171 times

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Sep 24 2010, 11:07 AM

To be complete, here's a couple more photos. The bottom line is larks-headed on (the standard kiter's knot), the top line is just an overhand knot.
Also, note the beads on the bottom line. That's to make it easier to grab the right handles out on the field.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Sep 24 2010, 03:57 PM

Nice! Thanks for the pix!

Return to “Quad Line Kites”