Trick & Track (T&T) Or Prism Quantum?

All about Dual Line Kiting.
Layback Lenny

Trick & Track (T&T) Or Prism Quantum?

Postby Layback Lenny » Wed, Sep 01 2010, 09:43 AM

I'm gettin ready to purchase my first kite and was wondering if anyone had any experience with these two. My friend, Joel, sells kites and is recommending maybe the T&T but the Prism kites caught my eye on the internet. I'll be visiting Joels store at Shipshewana Labor Day. Any thoughts?

Layback Lenny

Re: Trick & Track (T&T) Or Prism Quantum?

Postby Layback Lenny » Fri, Sep 03 2010, 09:46 AM

Anybody?

awindofchange

Postby awindofchange » Fri, Sep 03 2010, 02:48 PM

Both kites are awesome and great for a first kite. Both designs are slightly dated compared to the newer kites on the market but still, you can't really go wrong with either one. There are actually three versions of the T&T (Trick & Track) available, one was made by Premier, the other was made by Sky Burner which is virtually the same kite as the Premier version. Jon T. from Sky Burner designed the T&T and then released the design to Premier to build the Trick & Track. The Sky Burner version is much better as it is made from Icarex material and the details on the kite are more refined. The latest version is actually made by Alphakites (sp?) and is a very awesome kite built to todays standards of tricking. The Alphakites version is somewhat rare to find here in the U.S. but if that is the one then by all means, that would be the best of the three. I haven't flown the Alphakites version myself but have seen video and heard others who really like the kite.

If the T&T is not the Alphakites version, then I would probably suggest something a little more advanced or modern compared to the two you have listed. Something like the Widow from Premier or the E3 from Prism. The E3 is awesome because it comes with the Freestyle Pilot DVD which will give you tons of help learning to trick. If you have someone close to you that will help you advance then the DVD is not nearly as important and I would probably go for the Widow as it is an awesome tricking kite that can do pretty much everything.

Another suggestion if you are on a little more of a budget would be the Addiction, Nighthawk or Wolf, both from Premier and run around the 100.00 mark each.

Some other great kites to look at:
Silver Fox series from Flying Wings
Ocius from Skyburner <-- my latest favorite kite
CrossFire from Sky Dog Kites
Acrobatx from Flying Wings <--2006 kite of the year and ultra affordable
Hypnotist from Prism <--also comes with the DVD

Hope that helps you get going. If at all possible, fly before you buy. Kites are like women, every one has their own personality and even though they may look very nice, they may not match up with you right.

Let us know if you have any other questions.
Happy Winds!
Kent
www.awindofchange.com

RevJB

Postby RevJB » Fri, Sep 03 2010, 04:17 PM

I know someone with a Wolf that I'm sure would let you try it. I tried to PM you, but your Profile is set to not accept PMs. If you change your profile, I'll send you his info.

FYI
Keep an eye out for Club Flys at Northerly Island. Great place to fly, not too far for you, and plenty of kites to try.
John
:LogoRevAni:

Layback Lenny

Postby Layback Lenny » Mon, Sep 06 2010, 06:32 AM

Thanks for the tips, guys. Got the list in hand and getting ready to head to Shipshewana now. I'll let you know what I end up with later.

Layback Lenny

Postby Layback Lenny » Mon, Sep 06 2010, 10:01 PM

The verdict is in. The only TNT he had was blue and I really didn't like the look of it. He ended up recommending I ordered a Widow through him and he is ordering one for himself, also. Pretty strong recommendation I figured. I did end up getting an inexpensive kite for my girlfriend, a Premier Stingray, so we have something to mess with while we wait for the Widow. I also got myself a Mighty Bug 1.0. Its a small parafoil (I guess?). I flew it a little today in gusty wind and it is crazy. Lots of pull and intense zig-zaging. I'm diggin this kite stuff.

Funny story. We spotted an old soccer field by a church and decided to give the Mighty Bug a try. I parked my SUV on the old running track that surrounds the field and proceeded to have a good time for about a half an hour. After we picked up and began to leave this mean old preacher came out there and stopped me and asked me what I thought I was doing driving on his track. Told me he could have me arrested. I apologized and said I wouldn't be back. Me and my girl laughed our butts off after we left. Felt like a couple of kids, again. We are both around 50 yr.s old.

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Sep 07 2010, 08:07 AM

Glad you're enjoying the kites, we need more dual line fliers in our club.

RevJB

Accepting PM

Postby RevJB » Tue, Sep 07 2010, 05:41 PM

Lenny,

If you want to accept Private Messages(PM) in the future, you can go to your Profile and then under Preferences (second on the left) and the click on yes for "Allow Users to Send Me Private Messages". It comes in handy for info and doesn't open you up to any spam.

I still have info on the Wolf for you as well.

Enjoy the new kites!
John

:LogoRevAni:

Layback Lenny

Postby Layback Lenny » Tue, Sep 07 2010, 11:01 PM

Rev. Can't find "Preferences". Anywho. Went to the Indiana State Dunes today and tried out the new kites. Broke the string on the Bug after about a half an hours play. Heard the wind gusts got up to about 40 mph. Lost a spreader (?) on the Stingray. Had a blast. Found out from Joel on the phone tonight the Widow is discontinued and will have pick sumthin else. Joel and I are gonna talk. Tell ya what, though. The foil really got me going. That thing was super fast and pulled like the devil.

My girl, Brenda, was very impressive flying in that wind. She can handle it. Can hardly wait to get back out. We got us a new addiction.
Last edited by Layback Lenny on Tue, Sep 07 2010, 11:04 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Sep 08 2010, 11:16 AM

Layback Lenny wrote:Rev. Can't find "Preferences"...

Not an uncommon problem. First click on "Profile" which is at the top of this page, near the right side.
Then you'll be able to change all kinds of things.

awindofchange

Postby awindofchange » Wed, Sep 08 2010, 01:12 PM

Not sure who your kite guy is talking to but the Widow is still available. We have them in stock.
Happy Winds!

Kent

www.awindofchange.com

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Wed, Sep 08 2010, 01:45 PM

Lenny, If you are enjoying the kite thing as much as it sounds like, I would recommend working with a brick and mortar store for your kite needs.

Not saying this fella who has been helping you out is a bad guy or anything. But a knowledgeable kite store owner is one of the best connections you can make. People open kite stores out of passion, because I have yet to see a store owner driving a Ferrari. If you get my drift. Besides that, if you buy a kite at a reputable store , and have a problem with the kite you can be assured any warranty will be honored. There are quite a few great kite stores with passionate knowledgeable owners. One of which has been posting on this thread. Not trying to preach, just trying to pass on a bit of my experiences from years of flying.

Glad you are enjoying your new kite, and hope to see you at a fest or club fly sometime. Send me a message if you would like to meet up and fly sometime.
-Mikey

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Sep 08 2010, 02:41 PM

I'll echo that. If you're happy with the guy you're working with now, groovy. Stick with him.
But if not, you can't do better than Kent at a Wind of Change. He knows the whole range of the kiting field from quads to duals to power kites and buggying. He does it all and he's great guy too.

Layback Lenny

Postby Layback Lenny » Thu, Sep 09 2010, 12:50 AM

Got the PM thing straight. Thanks guys.

As far as working with Joel, I have to say that he is the guy that introduced me to kiting and it seems like him and his wife are a super couple and I believe are going to become friends. Joel is pretty knowledgable and I would like to be loyal to him. He's also going to be my kiting buddy. I would like to know of the best b&m shop near me here in N.W. IN. , though. Any recommendations?

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Sep 09 2010, 09:59 AM

It sounds like you should do your business with Joel. The nearest shops that I know of would be in Michigan or Chicago, so Joel is your best bet.

Layback Lenny

Postby Layback Lenny » Fri, Sep 10 2010, 06:05 AM

Where in Michigan, Mike?

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Fri, Sep 10 2010, 07:50 AM

Layback Lenny wrote:Where in Michigan, Mike?

That's easy ... The Mackinaw Kite Company in Grand Haven, Michigan. Google their web site. Also, check out the festival they host each year in May.

Welcome to the forum and to the club. Hope to see you at some of our get together. Mike is right, we need more dual line enthusiasts.

Cheers,
Tom

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Fri, Sep 10 2010, 01:14 PM

Welcome to the club Lenny

David here from chicagokite. A brick and mortor store In Chicago . We have been around 20 years and carry a full l
service store . We too have the widows in stock . If there is anything I can help you with feel free to email or call us.

David

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Fri, Oct 01 2010, 10:04 PM

i tried a Prism Hypnotist at one time... and liked it a whole lot! Very nice for the money! Flies super and does a lot of tricks.
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Return to “Dual Line Kites”